Body doing exercises by itself

Alexx alexxx, modified 10 Years ago at 8/8/13 9:45 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/8/13 9:45 PM

Body doing exercises by itself

Hello. I was meditating and entered the first or second jhana. I was meditating lying down not in half lotus position (am gona meditate like that after I fix my scholiosis) and my body started doing exercises. It did a lot of exercises very different and very effective for stretching every part of my body, am quite surprised how effective the body was able to revigorate itself. I was in jhana for about an hour and I was just observing the pleasant sensation, the body did all that by itself and there were a lot of different exercises. Is this normal ? Please help

The exercises were the kind of ones you can do while lying down like rolling your hands, a little bit of dancing, exercises that mimic having sex etc. I remained in the jhana, it did not decrease because of the exercises
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 8/9/13 3:00 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/9/13 3:00 AM

RE: Body doing exercises by itself

Spontaneous movements are common in the early jhanas, but something about those sounds more stylized and elaborate than typically occurs, also more varied.

It sounds nearly dissociative, in fact, though, from another point of view, one can hardly fault insight into things happening on their own.

More context? More about you?

Daniel
Alexx alexxx, modified 10 Years ago at 8/9/13 6:49 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/9/13 6:45 AM

Thank you very much. I tried meditating in the half lotus position and the body did not start doing exercises as expected because it was not posible in that position but had muscle contractions and changes in breathing patern like before. I was taking big in-breaths.

I payed more attention and do not think it was jhana anymore. The pleasant sensation was big but not jhana and it started very fast and maintained itself the same even though I was not concentrating that good on the pleasant sensation because of the things the body was doing that distracted me. Thing is I think I was like "stuck in the presant moment". Withaught effort or even wanting I was paying attention to things in the presant moment and if I tried to think of something after I stopped meditating the thaught would apear and dissapear very fast and was imposible to think of anything. I also felt a little strange even when not meditating, a king of buzz in my head, was like feeling "something".

About me I was only able to enter the first jhana once 1 month ago and since then was close but not managed to because now that I saw how pleasant it is in the back of my mind I want to get there and am not able to be free from that desire as I should. About the time this happened I meditated again while using that drug I wrote about in a different post (dxm) and meditated for 4 hours withaught a break (witch is enormeous for a begginer even on this drug) and after that I meditated for another hours and the thing I described happened in that hour and after. The drug is one of the 3 dissociatives but things like this never happened to me before and I have no reason to belive the drug had somethign to do with it because it has no "normal drug effects" when you meditate on it, it just makes you not feel the body so makes you able to meditate more.

I got very scared that it might be that kundalini thing but it did not have the other simptoms and things like that should not happen to beginners who practice normal meditation not energy practices. I have to mention that did not bother me at all and was very funny to watch how many different exercises my body is able to do while lying down lol It was like an entire fitness program
M N, modified 10 Years ago at 8/9/13 3:14 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/9/13 3:14 PM

Hi!

In these lessons Yogani talks about spontaneous moviments during practice; thought they might be useful

Bye!
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 8/10/13 12:27 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/10/13 12:27 PM

Alexx alexxx:
Hello. I was meditating and entered the first or second jhana. I was meditating lying down not in half lotus position (am gona meditate like that after I fix my scholiosis) and my body started doing exercises. It did a lot of exercises very different and very effective for stretching every part of my body, am quite surprised how effective the body was able to revigorate itself. I was in jhana for about an hour and I was just observing the pleasant sensation, the body did all that by itself and there were a lot of different exercises. Is this normal ? Please help

The exercises were the kind of ones you can do while lying down like rolling your hands, a little bit of dancing, exercises that mimic having sex etc. I remained in the jhana, it did not decrease because of the exercises

Movements during meditation are called Kriyā
Your description however goes beyond standard. I don't know if you believe in shamanism but I would highly recommend that you seek out a qualified practitioner in your area and get a consultation. Taking dissociative drugs effectively opens the door forcibly and you may not be aware of any entities that wish to walk in. Did you do any protective ceremonies/intent before you took DXM?
I would read up a bit from the user Hermetically Sealed. Although I do not agree with everything he says there is a bunch of good material especially if you have not thought much about the subject.
"Spirits"... I'd Like to Meet Them, Anyone Experienced Out There?
More Threads
If you are moving without your own volition I would ask the question who's volition is it?
The problem is that you will totally ignore this advice. Ask yourself why? Is it you who wants to ignore it? Try to feel what is going on. Are there several different pulls? Investigate what they feel like. Are there differences?
shaman-directory
Good luck,
~D
Alexx alexxx, modified 10 Years ago at 8/10/13 3:58 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/10/13 3:57 PM

Thank you everybody for the links. Although it was not something bad and was quite pleasant I really freaked out but now that I meditated sober and nothing out of the ordinary happened am a little more relaxed.

I do not know too much about spirits, I am sure they exist in this world too but I do not belive another spirit can take even the slightest control of another sentient been without his permission. I thought about what happened and I remembered the times I used to drive on dxm and it always fascinated me how the body and the mind drove the car by itself without "me" doing anything about it and drove a lot better than sober. Your body and mind can function with "you" been over there, like when you think of something and also drive or walk on the street. You are not paying attention to where you put every step. Probably been on one of the 3 dissociative drugs that exist (dxm, ketamine and pcp) made that posible to another level. I notice that every exercise the body did was was a very natural response to the need of my body. It was like a very good fitness teacher gave the perfect exercise for every little pain that you could feel and also did them perfectly, a way that is imposible for me sober like with some muscles relaxed, tensed etc.

Perhaps that's what the body starts doing if you let him alone by cutting the mind from the body using dissociatives + meditation lol
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 8/10/13 4:20 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/10/13 4:20 PM

Alexx alexxx:
I do not belive another spirit can take even the slightest control of another sentient been without his permission.

Dream Walker:

The problem is that you will totally ignore this advice. Ask yourself why? Is it you who wants to ignore it? Try to feel what is going on. Are there several different pulls? Investigate what they feel like. Are there differences?

I mostly agree, I wouldn't say slightest and I would look at what you are calling "permission". Like when you are whacked out of your skull on drugs? nah....could never happen.
How did I know you would ignore the advice?emoticon
Would you be willing to accept any help from beneficial beings for the benefit of yourself and all beings? If so I will send you Metta (loving kindness)
Good luck,
~D
J !, modified 10 Years ago at 8/11/13 4:58 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/11/13 4:58 PM

This is stuff happens to me too. I've spontaneously done Yoga and Tai Chi, after and during meditation. Another thing I've noticed was that I have an almost compulsive desire to pray. It's not like I can't function, but for example I'll sit down to eat and feel compelled to put my hands into prayer position.

Unfortunately, I've never gotten an explanation that I was 100 percent sold on, either. But I can tell you what I've been told, and maybe it will help.

I've heard that it's direct knowledge. So basically experience/abilities from a past life. I've been told that it's kundalini. I've been told that it's the wind element. I've been told it's just fabrications of my mind. I've also been told that people simply do what's natural, and that it's very normal. Perhaps it's an entity. I don't know. It's certainly disconcerting. So I know how you feel.

Also, I've never taken drugs and meditated, so it it might not be a result of the drugs.
Alexx alexxx, modified 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 10:21 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 10:21 AM

HEEEEEEEEELP !!! I am not able to meditate properly anymore, this is what happens.

After that night with the body doing exercises by itself I am not able to meditate properly anymore. First of all, the pleasant sensation at the smile is not like before, it is a lot less "solid" if you understand what I mean. I do not know how to say the pleasantness is "softer" or something like that so it is even harder to concentrate on it. I also hear a little sound all the time in the background and the blackness/redness/yelowness of the closed eyes is pulsating all the time, slow or fast. I even had strong nimita and this did not happen to me before, at least not like this. The way my concentration on the pleasant sensation increased before is not happening now. I do not know how to describe but the little "stages" of increasing concentration when observing the pleasant sensation are not like before. There is a soft pleasant sensation in the body all the time now but it does not vary or change acording to the more or less concentrated I am on the pleasant sensation. The worst part is that when I do get really concentrated and get closer to jhana the body starts taking huge in-breaths, muscles contract, different moves happen, am like a girl having a huge orgasm overall, but the soft pleasure in the body that was there all before is not increasing and geting closer to what first jhana should be, it stays soft like all the way from the begining. It is very hard to concentrate with the body doing all this stuff and the colour of the closed eyelids pulsating and the sound and etc.

I am very afraid of shizofrenia, kundalini etc. but there are no other simptoms to sugest that. Please help I do not know what to do I am not able to meditate properly anymore. It all started with that huge 4 hours meditation session on dxm
Banned For waht?, modified 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 11:34 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 11:34 AM

Open and read the links what Mario Nistri have given to you!

Your system is too dirty to withstand the pure energy..

Newagers would say you must ground yourself. Walk in nature, eat and sleep well, do some healthy sport etc. Practice mindfulness.
Alexx alexxx, modified 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 1:41 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 1:41 PM

I did and that calmed me a bit but I never practiced yoga or meditation based on energy practices. I am also novice and I only entered the first jhana once. Was close many times but just once 1 month ago and never since then because I desired it too much after seen how pleasant it is. Things like these never happened to me before. Could the normal concentration meditation practice, watching the breath and then switching to the pleasant sensation of a smile, give rise to these kind of energy problems ? If I practice in the half lotus position I only have the simptoms described in those links but when lying down as I normally do (have to fix my scholiosis one day) I had those exercises and big muscle contractions.

I repeat, I never did energy practices, yoga, thai chi chun etc. just the classic concentration meditation and am a novice.
thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 3:56 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 3:56 PM

I have experienced quite a lot of body movement/kriyas in my practice and still do to a lesser extent.

For me it has been related to a number of emotional issues that needed to be dealt with outside of my meditation practice. Faster EFT (http://www.fastereft.com/) has been very effective for me, though I'm sure other methods for dealing with emotional baggage, like regular therapy or similar, would also work fine. Faster EFT was suggested for dealing with kriyas by another forum member here, so I'm not the only person that has had some success with it.

Jack Kornfields book A Path With Heart also has some interesting things to say about body movements/kriyas.

This is obviously only my personal experience, it may be entirely wrong or it may not apply to your situation at all.

Good luck,
Simon
Alexx alexxx, modified 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 8:09 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 8:00 PM

In the last couple of hours I did exercises non stop. I just stay up on my feet and move my arms a little and then I start doing a ton of super strange exercises with huge vigour. It is like somebody is doing them for me, they come naturally and are always different. I just let my body do whathever it want;s to do. I belive it is something similat to thai chi or some sort of phisical practice. What in the world is this ? How should i manage it ? I do not have teachers for these sort of stuff or for meditation in my country so please help
J !, modified 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 10:58 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/13/13 10:58 PM

Dude. This has happened to me. If you stop meditating, it will slow down to a manageable level where you have control of it. Go eat a cheeseburger. Go for a walk in nature. Take a long hot bath.

I've been told by monks that it's totally fine and a sign that you are doing it right, but I chose to severely lower my meditation. I recommend you you do that. Don't meditate at all for at least a month.
thumbnail
sawfoot _, modified 10 Years ago at 8/14/13 3:00 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/14/13 3:00 AM

It reminds me of one of favourite doctor doctor jokes:

Patient: Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Don't do that.

But if you still want to meditate...

. The worst part is that when I do get really concentrated and get closer to jhana the body starts taking huge in-breaths, muscles contract, different moves happen, am like a girl having a huge orgasm overall,

You are getting over excited. You need to relax. Work on controlling your breathing. You might be hyperventilating. If you find yourself breathing too deeply, and too quickly (or even too shallowly or too slowly), then work on trying to breathe normally.

One more thing, do you do much exercise? Sounds like you need to go for a run. And lots of them.
thumbnail
Antonio Ramírez, modified 10 Years ago at 12/5/13 12:15 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/5/13 12:15 PM

I had similar experiences a few years ago, not long after I had started meditating.

In my case, I saw them as something interesting. At times it bugged me or frightened me too. It is pretty interesting how the body can do nontrivial and intelligent things without your help. Nowadays it happens a lot less (beyond the body 'just' settling into meditation which is in itself an interesting process), and it seems like I have to allow it to happen

What I would suggest is to pay attention to your mental attitudes towards the phenomenon. For instance, as freaked out as you may be, you may also be finding it subtly pleasant, titillating, fascinating, a sign of progress, etc. etc. Those are good things to note.

Another possibility is to resolve for there to be no movements of the sort you're describing and to actively but calmly come back to your concentration practice and intended posture when they begin.

Otherwise it seems pretty harmless provided that you're not buying too excessively into the idea that your body has special self-healing powers (which may lead to making bad decisions about length or intensity of practice, for instance).

To editorialize a bit: I see no need at all to change your world view to include spirits and entities and whatnot (at least not from what you describe emoticon. Though that may be your inclination, of course.