MCTPM ftw!

thumbnail
-- Timus --, modified 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 3:44 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 3:44 PM

MCTPM ftw!

Matthew, modified 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 4:23 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 4:23 PM

RE: MCTPM ftw!

"But the really cool thing with nirodha, is that when the yogi comes out of it, she or he is super-enlightened. And after this point there is really nothing much left to do for the arhat than to die and enter Nirvana or, in our time and age, open a Skype account and start an online enlightenment service.

Understandably, nirodha has been sort of like the Holy Grail for hardcore meditators and Buddhist geeks for centuries. Thousands and thousands of people have spent millions of hours on their cushions trying to attain this noble stage, but very, very few actually make it there. Despite proof that accomplished meditators actually can get close to a state of more or less permanent brain death), there are also some scholarly types arguing that there is no such thing as nirodha-samapati at all. Generally speaking, the spiritual jury has been out on this issue for a very long time.

Until now."

Amazing.
thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 5:28 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 5:28 PM

Oh my god, some of this is really funny...

http://tuttejiorg.wordpress.com/integral-body-mind-market-practice/
thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 5:41 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 5:41 PM

http://tuttejiorg.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/tutteandmother.jpg

Haha. This is awesome.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 11:37 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/23/13 11:37 PM

495 pages

Too long if you only need a pill. emoticon emoticon
thumbnail
Sweet Nothing, modified 10 Years ago at 8/24/13 4:36 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/24/13 4:36 AM

Thanks for making my day !
thumbnail
Krissy Trede, modified 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 12:38 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 12:38 AM

"It doesn’t matter if you’re a saffron robed ascetic or a white shark on Wall Street."

Priceless.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 5:53 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 5:53 AM

Definitely some A+ wit.
thumbnail
Hermetically Sealed, modified 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 9:42 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 9:06 PM

"empathogen-entactogen". just sayin...

I personally became interested in Buddhism at age 17 simply as a way to try to "get back to the MDMA state" without taking a drug. I felt that the MDMA experience was real, more real than normal life. It felt like how I just knew life was supposed to feel. It turned out that I was right and all I needed to do was learn buddhist meditation in order to break out of a hypnogogic trance so that I could reclaim the MDMA-like-feeling for my everyday life.

MDMA can promote an extraordinary clarity of introspective self-insight, together with a deep love of self and a no less emotionally intense empathetic love of others. MDMA also acts as a euphoriant. The euphoria is usually gentle and subtle; but sometimes profound.

MDMA's primary effects on the user are surprisingly consistent, unlike the wilder psychedelics such as LSD, psilocybin, or DMT. MDMA may feel mystical, magical or sublime; but it doesn't feel weird. The drug's influence feels highly controllable. MDMA tends to enrich the user's sense of self-identity, not diminish it. MDMA "provides a centering experience, rather than an ego diffusing experience" (Dr. Philip Wolfson), though it may also cause a "softening of the ego-boundaries". Sometimes a degree of derealisation on MDMA may occur, but rarely depersonalisation in the ordinary sense of the term. On the contrary, users feel they can introspectively "touch inside" to their ideal authentic self with total emotional self-honesty.

As well as acting as a "gateway to the soul", MDMA "opens up the heart". Taking MDMA induces an amazing feeling of closeness and connectedness to one's fellow human beings. MDMA triggers intense emotional release beyond the bounds of everyday experience. The drug also enhances the felt intensity of the senses - most exquisitely perhaps the sense of touch. The body-image looks and feels wonderful. Other people look and feel wonderful too. Minutes after dropping a pill, a lifetime of Judaeo-Christian guilt, shame or disgust at the flesh melt away to oblivion.

When MDMA is taken outdoors, the natural world seems vibrant and awe-inspiring, perhaps even enchanted. The experience of colour is gorgeously intensified. On MDMA, Dr Shulgin reported how mountains he'd observed many times before appeared to be so beautiful that he could barely stand looking at them. MDMA is not normally classed as an entheogen. "Entheogen" is a term proposed in 1979 by the scholars R. Gordon Wasson, Carl A.P. Ruck, Jonathan Ott, Jeremy Bigwood and Danny Staples for agents "generating the god or the divine within", shorn of any speculative metaphysics. Yet MDMA is used by a variety of spiritual practitioners of widely diverse beliefs as a gateway to the divine. Some MDMA users undergo life-changing spiritual experiences. Nicholas Saunders, author of the book E for Ecstasy (1993), cites a Benedictine monk who finds MDMA "opens up a direct channel to God". MDMA may not be "Christ in (al)chemical form", but if it had been present in the Eucharist, then we would all still be devout Christians, possibly for ever...

Tom Tom, modified 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 10:15 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 10:07 PM

MDMA is very similar to 1-3 pure samatha jhanas. I haven't practiced these in a while (a few years or so), but I remember the jhanas being quite a bit stronger than a hit of molly (pure mdma) I took once as well as a hit of Ecstasy I took on a previous occasion. I was able to put the bliss off the scale with the jhanas, not as much bliss with the E or molly.
thumbnail
Hermetically Sealed, modified 10 Years ago at 8/26/13 12:57 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/25/13 11:17 PM

Tom Tom:
MDMA is very similar to 1-3 pure samatha jhanas. I haven't practiced these in a while (a few years or so), but I remember the jhanas being quite a bit stronger than a hit of molly (pure mdma) I took once as well as a hit of Ecstasy I took on a previous occasion. I was able to put the bliss off the scale with the jhanas, not as much bliss with the E or molly.

agreed. MDMA at least to me feels more like the "afterglow" of jhanas or the afterglow of certain insight attainments.

I would feel comfortable giving someone a tab of MDMA and telling them "this is why you should take meditation seriously, because you'll be able to summon up this flavor of bliss and clarity". I don't think any other drug could be used to make such a claim. That said.. I haven't taken it in at least 10 years and probably won't ever take it again.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 10 Years ago at 8/26/13 4:46 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 8/26/13 4:45 AM

Funnily enough, one of the reasons I still meditate is to try and bring to my daily life a dose of a specific perspective I've had on LSD, and still occasionally get when looking at nature. Although LSD did have unpredictable effects, and other perspectives which I am not so keen on, that specific way of seeing came up on every trip I took (which was five or six times).

Breadcrumb