How can one be ok with being a sentient being

thumbnail
Keith Edward Miller, modified 10 Years ago at 9/24/13 7:58 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/24/13 7:58 PM

How can one be ok with being a sentient being

Hello. My question is how can I be ok with being a sentient being with the possibility of not becoming enlightened even through practice. Living in Boston Mass with a child and responsabilities makes it difficult for me to just up and leave to the woods for 6 months. Can one experience true liberation in the world? Now that I know that it's attainable and faced with the reality I might not attain it, how can I keep the faith???
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 10 Years ago at 9/24/13 8:09 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/24/13 8:08 PM

RE: How can one be ok with being a sentient being

Practice in daily life. I've never been on a retreat and got good results nonetheless. Read some books on what the practice is about.

You can pay attention to the 5 aggregates throughout the day. You can read about dependent origination and see it in your life. You can practice Metta around people.

Ian And has a nice collection of books that may help you aim your practice further:

Essential Books

Basically read, ask questions, and observe your experience. The books just help you to aim your investigation.

I'm not an arhat but the changes I've went through were some of the best things that ever happened to me. Every moment is fresh even if you're with a crying baby or washing the dishes.

The incremental changes in your understanding of stress are valuable even if it isn't perfected.
thumbnail
Keith Edward Miller, modified 10 Years ago at 9/24/13 8:56 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/24/13 8:56 PM

Thanks a lot , greatly appreciated. I will def continue my practice. I have already got great results and I suppose everyone's path is different !
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 10 Years ago at 9/24/13 9:14 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/24/13 9:14 PM

Some one posted a list of different types of enlightenments.

Enlightenments

There is some choice.
Derek, modified 10 Years ago at 9/25/13 1:55 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/25/13 1:55 PM

Keith Edward Miller:
Living in Boston Mass with a child and responsabilities makes it difficult for me to just up and leave to the woods for 6 months. Can one experience true liberation in the world?

Keith, did you read Daniel's recent article about how he practiced while working 14-hour shifts?
thumbnail
Keith Edward Miller, modified 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 2:38 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 2:38 PM

No I didn't , is it on this website ?!
thumbnail
Eric G, modified 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 10:54 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 10:54 AM

Completely doable in a householder style with consistent daily practice and no long retreats but I suppose YMMV. Many have done it here, it seems almost common.

The book list I'm sure is good but strikes me as very fundamentalist and scholarly, I would find that a little difficult myself. Definitely make a must read of MCTB on this site, hard to say what else. While you're working on developmental progress I suppose reading stuff like Pointers from Nisargadatta might be good for working the thing from the "other" direction. God, so many books.

Kenneth needs to finish his book up emoticon

Breadcrumb