Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight

Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Jareth Dekko 10/3/13 3:39 PM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Daniel M. Ingram 10/4/13 4:08 AM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Jareth Dekko 10/5/13 4:04 AM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight katy steger,thru11.6.15 with thanks 10/4/13 9:57 PM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Pål S. 10/4/13 5:27 PM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Richard Zen 10/5/13 3:53 AM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight katy steger,thru11.6.15 with thanks 10/6/13 3:54 AM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Richard Zen 10/8/13 9:15 PM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Jareth Dekko 10/13/13 5:41 PM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Eric G 10/14/13 8:33 AM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Jareth Dekko 11/10/13 5:37 AM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Daniel M. Ingram 4/22/18 9:33 AM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight rik 4/23/18 4:55 PM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight S. 4/23/18 7:49 PM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight S. 4/23/18 7:51 PM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Daniel M. Ingram 4/25/18 8:21 AM
RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight Kaio Shimanski 5/4/21 3:56 PM
thumbnail
Jareth Dekko, modified 10 Years ago at 10/3/13 3:39 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/3/13 3:39 PM

Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 10/4/13 4:08 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/4/13 4:08 AM

RE: Mostly music video illustration of the progress of insight

I am glad you posted this at long last,

Daniel
thumbnail
Jareth Dekko, modified 10 Years ago at 10/5/13 4:04 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/4/13 12:32 PM

Thanks, Daniel.

If anyone has suggestions, questions, or complaints, please share them. Illustrating the vipassana ñanas with youtube videos was a very serious project, and I tried to take it very seriously.

thumbnail
Pål S, modified 10 Years ago at 10/4/13 5:27 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/4/13 5:27 PM

thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 10 Years ago at 10/4/13 9:57 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/4/13 9:53 PM

Beautiful.

Okay, I think once you get to 1:08 thereafter... Well, it seems fitting... you'll see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mlqvVSZY8s

And Pål has a point...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OETK8xuMwXQ
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 10 Years ago at 10/5/13 3:53 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/5/13 3:53 AM

You did lots of work.

Here's my take on some of the process:

Cause and effect:

POV hike

Arising and Passing Away:

U2 Beautiful Day

The dukkha nanas:

Dissolution:

NIN Leaving Hope

Fear:

Inland Empire

Misery:

We suck the young blood

Disgust:

Nirvana - Rape Me

Desire for deliverance:

Faure - Pie Jesu

Reobservation:

NIN Twist

Equanimity:

Quiet forest
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 10 Years ago at 10/6/13 3:54 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/6/13 3:54 AM

hah. funny pawel.

okay here's another beauty in my book. A&P or EQ:http://zuff.info/albums/championnats2007/Cap10_free_2007_high.mp4
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 10 Years ago at 10/8/13 9:15 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/8/13 9:15 PM

My version of forgetfulness in Equanimity:

Dumb and Dumber
thumbnail
Jareth Dekko, modified 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 5:41 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 3:09 PM

Here's some videos I didn't use for various reasons:

Blockhead - The Music Scene
My Robot Friend - Robot High School

These two have elements from too many different insight stages to clearly illustrate any particular one.

The Presets - Are You The One?

"You got your A&P in my Re-observation!" "You got your Re-observation in my A&P!"

Nichijou OP 2

A good A&P illustration, but not as important as the Nichijou AMV in Re-observation, and the A&P section was getting quite long enough already. Unsurprisingly, it's not hard to find music video illustrations of The Arising And Passing Away.

Justice - Stress

I had this in Fear, mostly for the weird polyrythm / DEVO sample that starts about halfway through, but I eventually decided Fear is self-explanatory to the point that emphasizing it this much would needlessly obfuscate the bigger picture.

MGMT - Kids
DyE - Fantasy

Same with these two, which would've gone in Fear and Disgust, respectively. They're striking examples, but nobody really needs Fear and Disgust explained to them, and they would overshadow the more esoteric examples necessary to illustrate other stages.

Also, Kids arguably gets all the way to Re-observation and Fantasy arguably gets to Equanimity.

The Chemical Brothers - Believe

Mostly Desire for Deliverance, but extends too far ahead and behind.

Woodkid - Iron

This would've gone in Desire for Deliverance, but I ultimately decided it was needlessly ambiguous. I did use it as the DfD layer of a layer compositing test which I later noticed was an unintentional illustration of the stages of the dark night (albeit skipping Misery).

R.E.M. - Bad Day

One foot in Desire for Deliverance, one foot in Re-observation, but doesn't illustrate the transition point between the two.

Netsky - Iron Heart

A somewhat too-volumetric Re-observation, with Equanimity misleadingly achieved directly via perseverance rather than perseverance, failure and acceptance.

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Dare To Be Stupid

This illustrates the transition point much better. In fact, I'm changing my mind and adding this to the playlist.

Weird Al songs contain more insight than you might expect. DEVO overwhelmingly evokes Re-observation, but it's Dare To Be Stupid, a parody of DEVO, that finally connects the circuit.

Jarvis - Don't Let Him Waste Your Time
The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be

Confusing combinations of Equanimity and Re-observation. I probably still would've included them if there were 480p versions available on youtube.

Madeon - Pop Culture
Halfby - Screw The Plan
Dynamite Hack - Boyz In The Hood

These were in Equanimity until I took them out just now. They're good, but not as good as what's left.

Gigi D' Agostino - The Riddle (RGB Grafiklasershow version)

Includes too much of the progress to be a clear illustration of any particular stage, and perhaps has another problem as well. I'd be interested to see what Hermetically Sealed thinks of this video.

Stephen Fry Gets Wired

I had this in Review at one point. Another confusing one.
thumbnail
Eric G, modified 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 8:33 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 8:33 AM

The other day I was in A&P walking around a park in the sun on a beautiful day listening to some music. Some very happy Joe Satriani seemed very apt. And then some Jimi Hendrix from Woodstock, Purple Haze into that mellow improvisation with lots of octaves struck me as very fitting for the transition of A&P into Dissolution.
thumbnail
Jareth Dekko, modified 10 Years ago at 11/10/13 5:37 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/10/13 5:37 AM

Added the post-credits portion of the Autodesk Animator demo reel to the A&P section. This is another video I was exposed to in childhood and developed a fascination with.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 5 Years ago at 4/22/18 9:33 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 4/22/18 9:33 AM

Bump.
rik, modified 5 Years ago at 4/23/18 4:55 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 4/23/18 4:55 PM

lol, this is an awesome post.

My contribution isn't a music video, but I think The Trial by Franz Kafka is a great illustration of Fear/Misery/Disgust
S, modified 5 Years ago at 4/23/18 7:49 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 4/23/18 7:49 PM

This is amazing. 

I'm a little tempted to wonder backwards about how well we explain all art through the mindstates that produce them - deeply successful art-making involves hanging out often in access concentration or even 1st or maybe 2nd jhana for a lot of creatively absorbing work, right? Everything else with scope, attention, feeling tone, narrative/momentum... 

In Sebald's The Rings of Saturn it feels very Dark Night to me: he sees endless destruction and no creation!

So much sad or ecstatic art coming from real insights into reality... it's like "man you are really good at showing us how the world is sad, darkly beautiful, impermanent!" 
S, modified 5 Years ago at 4/23/18 7:51 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 4/23/18 7:51 PM

I feel this animation captures the whole thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEUxlwb2uFI
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 5 Years ago at 4/25/18 8:21 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 4/25/18 8:21 AM

I agree that video really does seem to span the whole range with some uncanny accuracy, not only of content, but also of frequency, complexity, and width of attention: nice find!
Kaio Shimanski, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 3:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 3:56 PM

Did you guys know about Eulers Disc?

: Euler's Disc (Euler is pronounced 'Oiler') is a fascinating physics toy that mesmerises everyone that sees it. The base is a slightly concave mirror. There is then a heavy metal disc, which you place on the mirror, and spin. What happens then? Well, just like spinning a coin on a table, the disc both spins and rolls, until it comes to a sudden stop, the final stages being accompanied by a sound of increasing frequency. A coin spun on a table will not spin for all that long. Euler's Disc, by contrast, spins for a long time before coming to rest. In addition, there are a number of magnetic holographic decals that you can attach to the upper side of the disc to enhance the effect of the spinning action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFtYzVJcWyA

In the video you can see the toy in action.
I really thought the resemblance to the POI was incredible ... even when it stops spinning it gets faster and just stops.

Breadcrumb