New practitioner

thumbnail
Keith Edward Miller, modified 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 11:31 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 11:31 PM

New practitioner

Hello, I new to this practice. Here is a short list of some of my experiences. I hoping for a little explanation about where I might be at or what I experienced. Ive been meditating and trying to note and be mindful for about 5 months. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

- weightless
- tingling around neck
- feeling like legs are wobbly
- lack of interest in job and family
- thinking this practice is the one truth
- loss of sexual stimulation/desire
- moving slow like a sloth
- seeing a glow on people and objects
- interest in random objects / viewing mundane things up close
- sounds are meshing together/ not separate or labeled as much
- not blinking ( my daughter noticed it )
-
M N, modified 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 2:31 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 2:31 AM

RE: New practitioner

Hi!

Mmm... too little to make a diagnosis; a few questions:

-Are you aware of the maps? If so, have you noticed any patterns of symptoms?
-Are you using the noting technique? If not, what other? If yes, can you specify, vocabulary, noting speed and wheter or not you have a main object to come back to?
-Did any particularbook/teacher influenced you?
-Do you have any informal practice?
-How much time do you spend practicing daily?
-Do you havemind-wandering problems in formal/informal practice?
-Why are you practicing this? Do you have any specific goal to achieve or are you doing this mostly for psychological wellbeing, or something else?

Bye!
thumbnail
Keith Edward Miller, modified 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 8:29 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 8:29 AM

Hi Mario , thanks for responding.

-I'm not aware of maps
-I'm noting when I go about my day randomly , during meditation I go in and out of noting. I find it tough to create words for the subtle sensations I'm feeling , so I don't note sometimes , if I'm hearing I tell myself im hearing or seeing or thinking etc. I try to break it down simply with words like that then I just try to be aware of what arises.
- I do not have a teacher but I attend dharma talks at the Buddhist center, I have a sangha and friends that meditate. I read books and watch videos a lot and I also meditate and try to be aware of the present moment quite a bit myself.
- I guess I have informal practice with friends and at the center
-about 40 minutes sitting daily, also about 40 minutes walking as well as mindfully feeling objects and looking at details and noting
- I do have mind wandering happen but it's much less of an issue lately. I'm starting to go deep really quick , almost like its getting natural but I still do think yes. When thinking happens I go back to breath.
- I'm practicing for the same reason everyone else is i suppose emoticon
M N, modified 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 10:32 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/14/13 10:17 AM

Ok; so, first things first: try to read this

I'm assuming that you haven't read it because you are not aware of the maps; if you didn't, my strong raccomandation is for you to stop meditating entirely and use the time that you would spend in meditation to read that.