Raz gets real.

Erasmas II, modified 10 Years ago at 11/6/13 10:51 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/6/13 10:51 PM

Raz gets real.

Alright, it's time for some accountability.

I'm trying anapanasati style concentration using the breath below the nostrils. When I notice the mind has wandered, I try to release the distraction and relax head tension as per Bhante Vimalaramsi's 6R method, then return to the breath (I tend to skip the "re-smile" step. It hurts.)

As the mind gets more concentrated, tensions arise at the surface of the body, especially in the face, back, shoulders, arms. Sometimes it becomes difficult to stay with the breath, and a cloudy, noisy pressure seems to permeate the skull area. At these times it seems impossible to let thoughts be, as I feel dragged along with them.

Next time on the cushion I'll try to relax and "be with it" more, with less thought about progress or getting somewhere. I'm not sure exactly how to balance noticing and acknowledging/"releasing" distractions without encouraging the mind to wander. More experimentation required.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 11/7/13 7:12 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/7/13 7:12 AM

RE: Raz gets real.

Likely related to the stage callee the Three Characteristics, aka 3rd ñana.
Erasmas II, modified 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 11:02 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 11:02 AM

Back to body scanning now that I understand the letting go/letting be aspect of it. High energy burning sensations when attention is peeled off the sensation, or whatever. The more the underlying energetic phenomenon gets exposed, the groggier I'll wake up the next morning. Time to establish a short morning routine, I think.

Going to try alternating panoramic awareness and body scanning (sit for sit).
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 11/20/13 7:01 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/20/13 7:01 PM

The "natural" shape of attention would generally be finer and more localized for those early stages, not that you might not do well with panoramic perspectives, but perhaps if you are feeling burning energy, just let the burning energy define the shape of attention, and see where that goes, and try that for other objects also, as fixing attention to some ideal will end up missing things, as the shape of attention changes with the objects of meditation, as it actually IS the objects of meditation.

Breadcrumb