Is this the start of a new cycle?

thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/11/13 7:48 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/11/13 7:47 PM

Is this the start of a new cycle?

For the last two weeks, since my last retreat, I've been moving through review cycles quite quickly (a few times a day), and reaching fruition with lots of different objects (including objects I've never practised with before). I usually have my strongest insight type experiences just before sleep as I am lying in bed. Two nights in the last week, I have felt myself drop down into a place that feels quite a bit "deeper" in some vague and ill defined way, than anything I normally experience. There is a huge sense of oppressive weight, and some fear. The space feels both utterly alien and yet eerily familiar. While in this otherwise dark space, I have also seen massive stylized mask-like faces that are more 3D and hyper-realistic than what I normally see in my visions. Both times it happened, I resolved not to investigate the objects and waited until it passed.

If it is the beginning of a new cycle of insight, I'm not sure I'm ready to face another dark night right now. I'd also like to master at least some of the jhanas before starting the next cycle.

So my question is:
1) Does this sound like the start of a new cycle of insight?
and
2) If so, how long can I put it off, and is it wise to do so?

Thanks,
Avi
thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/12/13 9:38 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/12/13 9:37 AM

RE: Is this the start of a new cycle?

Okay, so I wrote that post last night, and this morning I woke up and was solidly in the new cycle. Back to the body pains of stage 3, no A&P yet. Funny thing was I took some Tylenol for the pain, and after it kicked in a little, I became vaguely aware of the rapid cycling and fruitions of the old cycle. I guess it dulled my senses just enough to drop me down a bit. I describe another interesting aspect of the new cycle emergence over here.
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 10 Years ago at 11/12/13 6:09 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/12/13 6:09 PM

Meditate and let things take their course. I’ve seen the beauty in which dhamma works in this way. I’ve seen it give breaks after a path to heal mundane issues, I’ve seen it give breaks for rest and fun, I’ve seen it wait until the end of a path to bring up bad karma .

And like you’ve already seen, it really isn’t up to you.

Don’t be afraid of the dark night, it gets too much of a bad rep.

“I became vaguely aware of the rapid cycling and fruitions of the old cycle”

I do not know precisely the workings of it but your old cycling can occur within your new path, but it should feel like its in a smaller scale in the background. I read Daniel talking about it somewhere and noticed it myself.

You most likely did not slip back, it's not something your fighting. Your body started the new path because it was ready, and yet there may be a small chance that it jumps back onto dry land for some drastic reason, but very very rarely.
thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/13/13 2:42 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/13/13 2:42 PM

Thanks J. Very helpful words.