Is all practice really the same in the end?

wylo , modified 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 4:54 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 4:54 PM

Is all practice really the same in the end?

Hi,
Ive been out of talking about this stuff for many months now, even though its been very much part of my day almost every single say.

Im wondering what your thoughts on this are.

It seems that every instruction Ive read over the past nearly 3 years that Ive been into enlightenment points to the same thing, which is simply to concentrate on all your senses, as often as you possibly can. If someone was to simply read that instruction and only that instruction and practice that with great disciple over a long period of time do you think they could achieve the same as any other person who knows all the ins and outs of intricate practices and philosophies etc?

Sorry , if its a bit of a silly question, but Im just curious of your thoughts.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 5:24 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 5:23 PM

RE: Is all practice really the same in the end?

wylo .:
Hi,
Ive been out of talking about this stuff for many months now, even though its been very much part of my day almost every single say.

It seems that every instruction Ive read over the past nearly 3 years that Ive been into enlightenment points to the same thing, which is simply to concentrate on all your senses, as often as you possibly can. If someone was to simply read that instruction and only that instruction and practice that with great disciple over a long period of time do you think they could achieve the same as any other person who knows all the ins and outs of intricate practices and philosophies etc?

I think it may depend on 'how' one pays attention that will then vary results.
thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 6:21 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 6:17 PM

wylo .:
Hi,

hi lo wylo
a silly old familiar question more specifically
good to ask yourself
another two edged sword indeed
what do you practice?
attend?
attend to?
the path and the walking will decide the end
-triplethink
J C, modified 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 4:18 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 4:18 PM

wylo .:

Yes. Of course. Many people have.

But reading a little bit can give you a huge head start. For instance, it might take years of concentrating before you realized the Three Characteristics are part of all perception. If you read about them and know what they are ahead of time, this can help you concentrate and get you to enlightenment more quickly and easily.
thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 5:22 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 5:17 PM

Simply going to add look, ( hear, see, smell, taste, touch, = percieve + cogitate/consider/reflect = think )

with-in and,

look with-out,

and perceive both together;

ALL-SO ?!?!?!

=++3Bird>

)
. .)
: >)}>
. .)
)

triplethink././nathan

./|\.
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 7:29 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 7:14 PM

wylo .:

I don't know. But the question seems sort of essentialist.

Enlightenment is not some sort of unique and special thing.

Enlightenment is also just a label on experience.

There is no absolute distinction between enlightenment and other experience of reality.

Even suffering is just one possible vector of differentiation.

But regardless everyone's experience of reality is different.

And one's experience at one moment is different from the next.

There is room in this world for great diversity.

Even if it is all illusory!
Chuck Kasmire, modified 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 11:28 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 11:28 PM

wylo .:

They would achieve supreme Buddhahood while the other was still arguing on DhammaWheel or DhO over some obscure aspect of some esoteric practice or pondering over which type of Buddhahood would be most appropriate for them.

There are actually a number of approaches: visualization, koans, noting, body scanning, jhana, chanting, self inquiry and probably many more. I think the common denominator is staying in the present moment. In that sense, being very present with sensations is just one method of achieving that.

By staying in the present moment you keep the mind from doing its wandering thing. Of course, you are always in the
present moment so that isn't exactly it. You stop the mind from getting caught up in thoughts - day dreaming, worrying, and other such activities which are its basic world-building skills.

I suspect any of these methods carry some karmic baggage that will have to be worked out on the downhill side. It's ok. I think really wanting to know the truth and having the insight that that must take place within is more important than a given methodology.
T DC, modified 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 11:59 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 11:59 PM

Chuck Kasmire:

They would achieve supreme Buddhahood while the other was still arguing on DhammaWheel or DhO over some obscure aspect of some esoteric practice or pondering over which type of Buddhahood would be most appropriate for them.

There are actually a number of approaches: visualization, koans, noting, body scanning, jhana, chanting, self inquiry and probably many more. I think the common denominator is staying in the present moment. In that sense, being very present with sensations is just one method of achieving that.

By staying in the present moment you keep the mind from doing its wandering thing. Of course, you are always in the
present moment so that isn't exactly it. You stop the mind from getting caught up in thoughts - day dreaming, worrying, and other such activities which are its basic world-building skills.

I suspect any of these methods carry some karmic baggage that will have to be worked out on the downhill side. It's ok. I think really wanting to know the truth and having the insight that that must take place within is more important than a given methodology.

Yes!! Great Post!! Especially the bolded part; I believe that pure desire to know the truth is perhaps the key factor which allows for progress on the path. Also I second that the key thing in practice is ceaselessly bringing the mind back to the present moment and out of distracting thought. The point of practice is to build awareness such that one gradually overcomes delusion. The samsaric state is awareness masked by delusion, while the enlightened state is one of pure awareness. To get from one to the other, in principle one must increase their awareness, or bring it up to speed, which is done through mindfulness in daily life and meditation.
wylo , modified 10 Years ago at 12/20/13 7:28 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/20/13 7:28 PM

Interesting responses,
Especially yours Chuck I couldnt agree more about the desire to know the truth thing.

I doubt theres anyone out there with a very strong interest to know the truth but have failed in their quest, so its sort of a win win really.

PS I dont know the "truth" , but Id regard myself successful so far in that Ive surrended to not really knowing the truth, which is an answer in itself I guess.

Breadcrumb