A baseline state of bliss

Jinxed P, modified 10 Years ago at 12/2/13 8:47 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/2/13 8:47 AM

A baseline state of bliss

Would it be accurate to describe enlightenment as a baseline state of bliss? And if so, when along the path do you reach this level?

I've heard people say that they would not trade 1 day of enlightenment for 100 years of normal life. Is this a saying you would agree with? If so, what makes it so great? Is it the baseline state of bliss? Is is the calmness and lack of stress?
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 12/2/13 6:10 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/2/13 6:10 PM

RE: A baseline state of bliss

Jinxed P:
Would it be accurate to describe enlightenment as a baseline state of bliss? And if so, when along the path do you reach this level?

I've heard people say that they would not trade 1 day of enlightenment for 100 years of normal life. Is this a saying you would agree with? If so, what makes it so great? Is it the baseline state of bliss? Is is the calmness and lack of stress?

Have you read MCTB yet? Here is the link to the enlightenment chapters Different types of enlightenment
Bliss is usually associated with the second Jhana. There are people who reattain this over and over and call it enlightenment...I wouldn't.
Shinzen Young says he would choose 1 day of enlightenment over (some amount of time) in one of the youtube videos...I do not remember him explaining why exactly but he did not mention bliss as I recall.
Is it the calmness and lack of stress?....I think your getting closer to the answer with this then with bliss...
Eradication of Dukkha

Imagine you're carrying around 20 pounds of dukkha and you are only aware of the top 2 pounds of it. What if you dropped the rest one day.....

Think of it more as letting go of unneeded stuff....not of getting more of something.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 7:59 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 7:41 AM

Jinxed P:

There are many forms "enlightenment". What seems to connect them is a selfless non-addicted personality. You do things one after another because if they need to be done then they are done and they are done without a feeling of a self. They walk around feeling selfless (especially if they have attained a high level of meditation) to see dependent origination really well. The brain is simplifying experience into basic time, objects and observer and all these things are dependent on causes and conditions. You try to notice how the links in dependent origination work in actual life and get good at it (including attention, intention to pay attention) so subtle noticings can arise.

With a Advaita Vedanta form of enlightenment you will notice that consciousness is used as a resting place for a "self" and you can use it as a non-stick surface for all reactivity to slide off of. This means sadness and clinging can exist but they don't last as long because the "watcher" is unaffected. With Buddhism even awareness/knowing/consciousness is aware of awareness. With cessations a meditator can see that experience is constructed so they still have to get on with their lives like everyone else but they are very aware of the 3 characteristics in everything so their disenchantment is very strong so stress looks more like something people are doing to themselves rather than circumstances (though I would disagree in extreme cases). So with claims like with Daniel of Arhatship along with fully functioning emotions there must be periods that aren't blissful. To me bliss is more like the 2nd jhana and the effort required to get it is a little bit of dukkha.

This will give you a sample of how complex it is:

Dependent Origination, Time, and Awareness

The quote of "I would not trade one day of enlightenment..." is more to do with how profound these results are after years of cultivation and they wouldn't trade it to be a Hollywood superstar because of all the stress they would go through with their egos and bad relationships that seem to plague the people who supposedly have happiness in the conventional sense.

If you want to pursue conventional happiness (which I would recommend to a certain extent) then it's about creating memorable experiences because that's what we do when go on vacations. It's something to remember and talk about. Good relationships are a bedrock of happiness and cultivating good memories with people you care about..
Jinxed P, modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 10:21 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 10:21 AM

Paweł K:
not trade 1 day of enlightenment for 100 years of normal life

bullshit, normal life isn't that bad and enlightenment isn't that good
it is exaggeration to encourage people to practice and nothing more

absolutely no
bliss states can happen without much insight at all and can be triggered by various things
and bliss states like everything are impermanent and will end especially when you start clinging to them and from this topic I see you are doing just that

also mind there are various bliss and joy types so saying 'bliss' by itself doesn't tell us much

I believe it was forum member Nikolai who also said that he would not trade one day of enlightenment for 100 years.

Omega Point (what an interesting member he was!) said something similar about a baseline state of bliss.

This is why it is very confusing to me, there is so many different interpretations of the benefits. People say WILDLY contrasting statements.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 3:01 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 2:52 PM

The amount of suffering going in in my head pre 'wherever i find my current baseline' VS post 'wherever i find my current baseline' was quite substantial. The drop in suffering levels trumps the previous 'most-of-my life-baseline'. I would not go back to the previous baseline if i had a choice and if i found myself there somehow again, i'd do everything in my power to return to where i currently find myself, and i dont consider my path 'done' yet.

The concept of 'bliss' can mean different things to different people. The 'bliss' of absence of that which triggered endless revolving thoughtloops of suffering is highly recommended. Just imagine how it is to be lugging around a lot of physical weight for long periods and the stress involved in that and then imagine the relief (a type of bliss) upon finally putting it down. How would the field of experience be experienced if one simple put down the immense weight of i-making, which is where all mental stress finds its foothold? There are types of 'bliss' that are still wrapped up and triggered by simply more i-making. Which type of bliss are you after, the bliss of absence or the bliss of simply more (refined) i-making?

Nick
Jinxed P, modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 4:05 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 4:05 PM

My goal is to feel as good as possible throughout the entirety of life . I would define feeling good as positive affective states and the absence of pain/suffering/stress.

Is enlightenment what I should be after?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 4:15 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 4:15 PM

Jinxed P:
My goal is to feel as good as possible throughout the entirety of life . I would define feeling good as positive affective states and the absence of pain/suffering/stress.

Depends what that word means to you. See for yourself, dont trust anyone else's ideas on it. Do the practices or actvities that result in your objective.
Jinxed P, modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 5:29 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 5:27 PM

Nikolai .:
Jinxed P:

Depends what that word means to you. See for yourself, dont trust anyone else's ideas on it. Do the practices or actvities that result in your objective.

From my research, which has been reading two dozen or so dharma books and a few years of meditating 30-60 minutes a day, almost all concentration work..which is still weak (I started with ADHD). What I am looking for can come from..

1. Reaching Samadhi then..
2. Metta
3. Vipassana

4. According to the tibetans than doing Dzogchen and Dream Yoga...

What do you think? Agree with this?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 6:05 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 6:01 PM

Jinxed P:
Nikolai .:
Jinxed P:

From my research, which has been reading two dozen or so dharma books and a few years of meditating 30-60 minutes a day, almost all concentration work..which is still weak (I started with ADHD). What I am looking for can come from..

1. Reaching Samadhi then..
2. Metta
3. Vipassana

4. According to the tibetans than doing Dzogchen and Dream Yoga...

What do you think? Agree with this?

Each person is a bundle of habitual patterns unique to that mind/body organism. One practice will bring obvious benefit and progress where another may not so much. 'What we are looking for' springs also from such bundles of habitual patterns of views and responses. If it works for the bundle that 'you' are presumably taken to be, if it gels with your own conditioning in place, then run with it. Who am i to tell you different? What motivates one may not motivate another.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 6:28 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 6:26 PM

Paweł K:
The amount of suffering going in in my head pre 'wherever i find my current baseline' VS post 'wherever i find my current baseline' was quite substantial. The drop in suffering levels trumps the previous 'most-of-my life-baseline'. I would not go back to the previous baseline if i had a choice and if i found myself there somehow again, i'd do everything in my power to return to where i currently find myself, and i dont consider my path 'done' yet.

before dharma and other changes my baseline was definitely worse than it is now but it wasn't THAT bad either. I had pull to dharma because I like improvement and my take was that if there is unconscious suffering then sooner or later I would be aware of it and wanted to do something before that happened. Similarly I improved my eyesight with eye-techniques even when my sight wasn't all that bad technically speaking (just colors sucked balls compared to now) emoticon

Dukkha I experienced not before but after dwelling with spirituality, and there were a lot of Dukkha emoticon

Maybe you had different configuration of your pre-dharma state than most people, have you thought about it that way?

Maybe. But that doesnt change what i said. One's view of how things were and are now condition what one says and does. I still view post whatver baseline is current to trump pre. Why else would i be involved in all this baseline shifting business? If it wasn't like so, then perhaps id say stuff like you have said.

The concept of 'bliss' can mean different things to different people. The 'bliss' of absence of that which triggered endless revolving thoughtloops of suffering is highly recommended

most common bliss is just sweet sensations that come out of chakras and go inside every part of my body and mind which I just love but such blissful sensation have to be fresh to be good. If it is used constantly without cessation it will get unfresh and become dukkha. So cessation of bliss is what I train to do and I get pretty good at it, I can do complete cessation of any bliss in body in a matter of seconds. After it bliss is much fresher and way more pleasurable.

Interestingly enough the same is true for pain. If I treat pain as bliss and do the same it also works emoticon

One's view conditions one's experience. Your view on the concept of 'bliss' will also condition how you use it, what you want to convey to others about it and how you go about practicing to either cultivate or avoid it. Here you are perhaps referring to vedana (feeling tone) of a certain degree of pleasant as 'bliss'? I call the purposeful shifting of the usually automatic reading of vedana as hacking vedana.

How would the field of experience be experienced if one simple put down the immense weight of i-making, which is where all mental stress finds its foothold? There are types of 'bliss' that are still wrapped up and triggered by simply more i-making. Which type of bliss are you after, the bliss of absence or the bliss of simply more (refined) i-making?

if by I-making you understand hard problem of self that buddhist want gone so badly then no, I do not longer have any issue with self. It was solved instantly upon sudden realization that was closest thing I got to enlightenment. It was solved not by self vanishing but by finding it's rightful place in my mind which is flow of kundalini created the moment self is gone. And place where I stupidly thought self was supposed to be is just place of flowing kundalini. What I have to do to stay in this great state is not to try to hold kundalini because it will recreate self. I have to let everything through all the time. Ok, there is no I, as I is in this flowing kundalini and what is letting kundalini through is no-self which is actually also influenced by action of self. Influenced and not controlled. It is kinda obvious in neuron-network based perception which is also the one that I use to do cessation of bliss and blockades if they happen and they still happen occasionally.

You and i have differing views on what we want out of our paths. No biggie. Whatever works for our own conditioning.

Is it complicated mess what I just wrote? emoticon
To me it is simplest explanation of how my mind work right now emoticon

Again, whatever works for your own conditioning.

BTW. this place is the same place where there is a 'brilliant light' during A&P. Hope this helps anyone find it. I assume people have such places because if they have self they have to have them emoticon

The great thing about the DhO is that people can explore and see for themselves all the differing practices and viewpoints people here have to offer and not take anyone's view or explanation of their experience for granted. See for yourself.

Experiment jinxed!
Jinxed P, modified 10 Years ago at 12/8/13 9:15 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/8/13 9:15 AM

Nikolai .:

The concept of 'bliss' can mean different things to different people. The 'bliss' of absence of that which triggered endless revolving thoughtloops of suffering is highly recommended. Just imagine how it is to be lugging around a lot of physical weight for long periods and the stress involved in that and then imagine the relief (a type of bliss) upon finally putting it down. How would the field of experience be experienced if one simple put down the immense weight of i-making, which is where all mental stress finds its foothold? There are types of 'bliss' that are still wrapped up and triggered by simply more i-making. Which type of bliss are you after, the bliss of absence or the bliss of simply more (refined) i-making?

Nick

Nikolai,

Can you give some examples of the thought-loops that caused suffering that you no longer experience? I am trying to understand your experience.

Do you no longer have concerns about things such as your health, your relationships, your job status, money, etc..all the things that normal people worry about? And if so, how is it that you deal with these 'problems' when they come up?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 12/8/13 1:55 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/8/13 1:52 PM

Jinxed P:
Nikolai .:

Nick

Nikolai,

Can you give some examples of the thought-loops that caused suffering that you no longer experience? I am trying to understand your experience.

Do you no longer have concerns about things such as your health, your relationships, your job status, money, etc..all the things that normal people worry about? And if so, how is it that you deal with these 'problems' when they come up?

Example thought loops: "I must 'be' a certain way, so that others will like me"
"I must be successful in this and that so that I value my'self'"
"If I don't do this and that, I will be a failure."

Yes, I still have responsibilities in life that I attend to as best I can. But if I do experience a thoughtloop it doesn't last very long. When situations come up, you simply deal with them. I have a inguinal hernia. I will have surgery on it soon. I am married with a baby on the way. I'm ready for it. I simply be me in the relationship, or rather conditioning carries on being 'me' to the outside world/my wife/future baby. I don't have any desires/urges crop up to be an asshole in the relationship, so i am not one. I am getting old, grey hairs and fluctuating weight, but se la vie. You do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. Worry is extra unnecessary weight created by our own minds due to a habitual tendency to assign self-hood to outcomes (even post SE, the tendency is there). Worry only arises due to an attachment to an outcome, a desire for a specific one or an aversion for other ones. And this revolves around an addiction to assignng 'selfhood' to phenomena still.

Take away this tendency or seriously attenuate it, and life's situations continue, bills get paid, work is done, baby's bum gets wiped, wife gets her breakfast in bed, just without the worry overlay.

Nick

Breadcrumb