Concentrating on the body instead of the breath?

Jake T Smith, modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 7:54 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 7:54 PM

Concentrating on the body instead of the breath?

Hi - I've been experimenting with different objects of concentration, and I've found that concentrating on the inner feeling of my body (what my body feels like from the inside) seems to work well, and has the side-effect of making me aware of my breath without me directly focusing on it.

By focusing on the body I'm aware of the breath naturally, is what I'm saying.

I guess what I'm asking is this an optimal way of doing things? Is it better to focus only on the breath? My only real goal in meditation is to have super-awesome concentration.

Need thoughts from experienced meditators!

Thanks!
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 11:21 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/3/13 11:21 PM

RE: Concentrating on the body instead of the breath?

Jake T Smith:
Hi - I've been experimenting with different objects of concentration, and I've found that concentrating on the inner feeling of my body (what my body feels like from the inside) seems to work well, and has the side-effect of making me aware of my breath without me directly focusing on it.

By focusing on the body I'm aware of the breath naturally, is what I'm saying.

I guess what I'm asking is this an optimal way of doing things? Is it better to focus only on the breath? My only real goal in meditation is to have super-awesome concentration.

Thanks!

The buddha gave such instructions. keep doing it if it works.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 12/4/13 3:29 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/4/13 3:29 PM

Jake T Smith:
My only real goal in meditation is to have super-awesome concentration.

Hmmm
Link to other thread about concentration - the mundane kind - concentration technique for enhancing brain power?

Could you explain a bit what kind of concentration you are looking for?
Jake T Smith, modified 10 Years ago at 12/4/13 5:47 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/4/13 5:47 PM

Dream Walker:

Could you explain a bit what kind of concentration you are looking for?

You know... like being able to be super-productive at work and school. I wanna be able to sit down and focus on stuff without being endlessly distracted.
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 10 Years ago at 12/4/13 6:45 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/4/13 6:45 PM

Hi Jake,

You could do either. For scholarly/translational support of both you could go to the Wikipedia entry on "Anapanasati Sutta" and the subheading of "Interpretations"

You know... like being able to be super-productive at work and school. I wanna be able to sit down and focus on stuff without being endlessly distracted.
Well, are you getting cardiovascular exercise regularly and often?

Best wishes :]
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 10 Years ago at 12/4/13 11:05 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/4/13 11:05 PM

Jake T Smith:

Thanks!

I think insight practice is the best way for work and study plus memory techniques. Learn stuff like loci/major system/journey system for memory to be utilized the way the brain likes to use it. Insight practice weans you off of addictiveness and aversion which causes the distractions in the first place. I find that too much forced concentration blocks too many thoughts out and makes a person look kind of dull and stupid when done at work (been there and done that). Insight practice can be dialled down so there's processing power for mental work. When doing the insight practice outside of work you need to fill up with concentration like Nick's suggestions with the Anapanasati sutta to keep the mind from wandering but when dealing with technical things just let the mind do what it needs to with work and let the dispassion that arises from consistent practice over YEARS do the rest of the work. When there's dispassion it's easier for the brain to stick with things and even find a bit of passion if you like the benefits of the work you are doing.

I recommend a noting practice during work that allows you to drop it when you need processing power for work and you can bring it back when you need to inbetween high processing periods. It's a feedback loop that keeps you honest about whether you're spinning off track. Noting interrupts the clinging/rumination/self-referencing simply by noting what is there so narratives can't expand and take up what you need for work. As your habits to cling/ruminate/self-reference reduce, you will naturally have more concentration.

Breadcrumb