Jhana cultivation and insight

zim zim, modified 13 Years ago at 5/5/10 7:29 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/5/10 7:29 AM

Jhana cultivation and insight

hello,
Recently i have been meditating and shifting through the jhanas 1 to 4 with no real set plan just an investigation and seeing how far i can go. Ive now made the resolve to cultivate 1st jhana and untill i completely do so i plan on staying there. My only problem is that i am a novice in regards to cultivation,experience and technique. I only use breath as my object and wish to know about kasinas and their uses. Can anyone shed some light on this subject or offer a web site?
Also, i am due to go to a Mahashi insight retreat in the summer so could you offer any advice on preperation before i go as in any meditation tips as to ensure i get the best from my time there.
Thankyou
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 13 Years ago at 5/5/10 10:19 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/5/10 10:19 AM

RE: Jhana cultivation and insight

Here is a link for a recent thread on the subject which includes some external links:

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/421228#_19_message_417654

A search of the threads should turn up more.

When using the breath to attain jhanas 1 through 4, did you do this just by watching the breath at the spot below the nose/above the lip area?
zim zim, modified 13 Years ago at 5/6/10 1:15 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/6/10 1:15 AM

Hi,
When attaining the jhanas i begin with nose only then once deeper in i begin to use the lip part as heavy breathing usually begins and makes it easier for me to concentrate and keep hold of. Is that a bit wacky?
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 13 Years ago at 5/6/10 11:43 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/6/10 11:43 AM

zim zim:
Hi,
When attaining the jhanas i begin with nose only then once deeper in i begin to use the lip part as heavy breathing usually begins and makes it easier for me to concentrate and keep hold of. Is that a bit wacky?

No, not wacky at all.
thumbnail
Florian, modified 13 Years ago at 5/5/10 3:16 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/5/10 3:16 PM

Jhanas: there are quite a few good threads in the Concentration Section of the forum. Even better, ask you own questions there. Also, Kenneth Folk Dharma has a lot of good stuff on Jhana, and experienced people on the forum.

Retreat preparations: check out Tarin's Reformed Slackers Guide to Stream Entry.

Cheers,
Florian
PE Ong, modified 13 Years ago at 5/11/10 5:02 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/11/10 5:02 AM

zim zim:

Also, i am due to go to a Mahashi insight retreat in the summer so could you offer any advice on preperation before i go as in any meditation tips as to ensure i get the best from my time there.
Thankyou

Do you mean Mahasi above. If that is the case, you should work on your noting practice instead.
http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/Mahasi%20Noting?p_r_p_185834411_title=Mahasi%20Noting

Mahasi centers do not teach Jhana. The teacher will likely ask you temporary put aside your Jhana practice, revert to the noting practice and report your experience accordingly.

Peong

Breadcrumb