'Practicing the Jhanas'

thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/9/13 9:43 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/9/13 9:43 PM

'Practicing the Jhanas'

Practicing the Jhanas is a book written by Stephen Snyder and Tina Rasmussen as presented by the venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw.

I have read through the book, all the way up to the immaterial jhana description and instructions, several times. I think it is a very comprehensive book that gives great instruction and description on how to reach access concentration, then first jhana, then all the other jhanas. The two authors also give supplemental support through email and I believe phone.

The book, in my opinion, is a bit more dogmatic than one might hope. They claim that deep jhana is available to those who have the nimitta (the white/whatever color image that forges with the breath), have reached access concentration and have been focusing solely on the breath passing the anapana spot. Therefore, they teach/encourage anapanasati.

I loved the format as I enjoy practical instructions that hit hard into hardcore dharma.

I hope more can enjoy it as I have emoticon

P.S. I am not an authority (as of now) on jhana or access concentration. I only offer my opinion of the book.

Breadcrumb