Energy Pulse

thumbnail
Jake, modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 12:18 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 12:18 PM

Energy Pulse

I was hoping to get some feedback on this strange phenomena I experience during my concentration meditation sessions. It is pretty much an energy pulse type of sensation that I believe begins in my chest area and pulses outwards. I can almost control when it happens - meaning I can initiate it myself.

I have come up with a possible scientific explanation of this sensation which may or may not be true. Since this feeling comes from my chest area, I am thinking it could be myself noticing the sensation of blood flowing out of the heart. I could be picking up on a beat of the heart actually pushing the blood outwards in my body.

That may sound retarded but its something I thought of during my meditation.

Also, this sensation happens at other times off the cushion when some event occurs, it triggers this feeling. Its also not a bad feeling at all, actually enjoy it. Its like my body has a pulse of 'energy' or something and it slowly fades away. The energy doesn't make it to my arms or legs, its mainly in the torso region where I can feel it.

HOLLLA
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 12:57 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 12:57 PM

RE: Energy Pulse

Please go into a little detail....
mental +:
I was hoping to get some feedback on this strange phenomena I experience during my concentration meditation sessions.

Explain what you are doing in your "concentration" meditation...
mental +:
It is pretty much an energy pulse type of sensation that I believe begins in my chest area and pulses outwards.

describe the "pulse" with a bit more detail....how fast is it? strength? buildup? after effects?etc
mental +:
I can almost control when it happens - meaning I can initiate it myself.
How do you control or initiate this? Can you speed up the process or slow it down...how much control do you have throughout the whole experience?
mental +:
Also, this sensation happens at other times off the cushion when some event occurs, it triggers this feeling.
What other times? what events? the pulse feeling? is it a feeling of emotion with it or just energy? Is it your feeling or something that happens to you?
mental +:
Its also not a bad feeling at all, actually enjoy it. Its like my body has a pulse of 'energy' or something and it slowly fades away.
explain what "not bad" means... details please
mental +:
The energy doesn't make it to my arms or legs, its mainly in the torso region where I can feel it.
where are the boundries exactly? can you control them? can you shoot the energy out the hands or down the legs?
I would investigate this with more detail...
~D
M N, modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 1:02 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 1:02 PM

Yep,there is a pulase like that and you can play a lot with it. If it's the same I'm thinking of, you'll feel that clearly putting two fingertips between the heart and thesolar plexus; if you trace that pulse back, you'll find that it is, in it's origin, a delicious feeling of love.
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 6:38 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 6:38 PM

Dream Walker:
Please go into a little detail....
mental +:
I was hoping to get some feedback on this strange phenomena I experience during my concentration meditation sessions.

mental +:
It is pretty much an energy pulse type of sensation that I believe begins in my chest area and pulses outwards.

describe the "pulse" with a bit more detail....how fast is it? strength? buildup? after effects?etc
mental +:
I can almost control when it happens - meaning I can initiate it myself.
How do you control or initiate this? Can you speed up the process or slow it down...how much control do you have throughout the whole experience?
mental +:
Also, this sensation happens at other times off the cushion when some event occurs, it triggers this feeling.
What other times? what events? the pulse feeling? is it a feeling of emotion with it or just energy? Is it your feeling or something that happens to you?
mental +:
Its also not a bad feeling at all, actually enjoy it. Its like my body has a pulse of 'energy' or something and it slowly fades away.
mental +:
The energy doesn't make it to my arms or legs, its mainly in the torso region where I can feel it.
where are the boundries exactly? can you control them? can you shoot the energy out the hands or down the legs?
I would investigate this with more detail...
~D

^^ This guy. always asking the right questions.
thumbnail
Jake, modified 10 Years ago at 12/12/13 9:00 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/12/13 9:00 PM

I was hesitant to respond to this yesterday because it reminds me of a test or quiz, and it is finals week.. Anyway lets do this

I am focusing on my breath and thats it. I just focus on the inhale and the exhale and do my best to feel the sensations near my upper lip and nostrils. Sometimes my attention wanders to other spots on my body or wanders to my thoughts. Sometimes I am good at bringing the attention back to my nose and other times I am not.

A reason I am doing this concentration meditation is because I am very busy at school and barely find time or energy to read MCTB. I would like to get into insight practice soon though.

Speed and intensity varies. The buildup begins in my chest and when the pulse happens it expands outwards, hitting my chest, upper and lower back, upper chest, and sometimes shoulders. I guess now that I write this, its not really a pulse... Its more of a wave of energy (or something) but a wave is definitely a better way to describe it. Imagine that my body is a pool of water and a pebble is dropped in the center of my chest, near my heart. Sometimes the pebble is bigger, sometimes smaller, and when it hits the water (my body) it causes a wave/ripple effect. Except in this analogy, there are no waves that follow it. It is just the initial wave from the pebble being dropped.

In terms of after effects... a good feeling I guess. The sensation kind of feels like 'the chills' except it happens inside you instead of outside.

When I inhale, I am able to concentrate on my chest and kind of 'release' the wave. I can only control when it starts, not the duration or intensity.

Other times... Sometimes when I am listening to an awesome song, sometimes when a 'coincedince' happens and I think to myself 'whoa that was wild' I get the feeling. Other times when I hear something that resonates with me, I get this wave feeling.

Not bad means that when it happens, I'm not like 'ok go away feeling'. I do not mind it being there. It is rather enjoyable.

Perhaps there are no boundaries.. The intensity of the wave determines how far it will go. I don't think it has ever gone towards my hands or feet. It usually stops around the shoulders. I cannot control the energy once I 'release a wave'. It is actually very similar to a wave: waves vary in intensity and strength and can't be controlled. Lol. I guess.

Thank you Dream Walker for taking an interest in this.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 2/26/14 12:45 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 2/26/14 12:45 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this. Thanks for your descriptions. I can do the same thing with intention and it sounds like the same thing you do. I have not the foggiest idea of what it is useful for. It is nice to know that others can do it too.
Hmmm...I just did it...totally funny as I have not done it for a long time and had to remember how to trigger it. It's changed. It feels more like a shiver now down the spine than the heart pulse it used to be from memory. Thanks for bringing this up.
Anyone else ever experience this or find a use for it?
~D
Arron Manning, modified 10 Years ago at 3/12/14 10:35 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/12/14 10:35 AM

Hi Jake,

This is the first time I have posted to this forum and actually stumbled across it doing a google search for specifically “Energetic Body Pulses”. I have been meditating for almost 3 years now, roughly 5 days a week, with at least 1 hour sessions each. There are two things which I profoundly feel during my sessions. The first being the body pulse and the other being a very strong pressure on the center of my forehead. The sensation is very focused, as if someone has taken their finger and is pushing vigorously on my brow, just above and between my eyes. These sensations I have never felt before in my life until I began meditating and since then the sensations have only intensified to the point where I have been searching endlessly for its meaning and have very much become part of my life.

Your wording of “Body Pulse” could not be more accurate in my experiences. I have done many searches about this for quite some time and I do hear people talking about these experiences but specifically starting from the head and working its way through the body. Most people feel that apparently and usually occurs when you listen to music that really resonates with you at the present moment. They say it’s because the brain releases some form of dopamine when memories are stirred up that causes a euphoric tingling feeling to rush over us. In this instance though it seems scientifically and specifically to have to start from the head because of this chemical release, and creates a tingling feeling that washes over you (mostly noticeable in the head and shoulders). In this light I think people can certainly understand the sensation I am feeling although as Jake has mentioned (which is much like my experience) this profoundly comes directly from my chest and I can specifically feel a circular wave pattern that ripples outward from it.

I do what to explain my experience not only because I do want to share this with Jake, but also I am trying to understand it myself and hunger for answers. When meditating (often deeply when this occurs), I feel what I can only explain as a euphoric, explosion. I say explosion because it feels as if there is an initial momentary buildup which occurs in the center of my chest right before the experience which shockwaves through my entire body. The sensation, when speaking of its pattern, is like dropping a pebble in the water. There is an initial moment of impact, then creates what feels like a perfect circular pattern rippling out from its center, undulating like a wave. The peeks of the waves have the highest intensity with an almost electrical vibration about it making it very observable as it moves throughout my body. As the peeks move outward the areas between each waves crest creates a tingling sensation in its wake before the next pulse washes back over it again. Euphoric (in my mind) doesn’t really capture the feeling. The wave is so profound and pronounced that it is almost like a mini explosion, a dramatic release of pressure, that feels like almost nothing I have ever experienced in a non-meditative state. The feeling is wonderful to say the very least and has truly opened my eyes to another world I never knew existed, something internal… and powerful. The one place where I feel possibly your experience deviates from mine is not only do I feel it pulse through my entire body but I can feel it radiate through and out of me. My senses in this experience are incredibly heightened to where I can feel a subtle field outside of my body, beyond the boundaries of my skin. Much like the feeling of your hair standing on end, I can sense outside of my skin (around 6 to 7 inches I would guess). When the pulse vibrates through me I can feel it move beyond the boundaries of my body, continuing to ripple through and outside of this space. I can sense (when this occurs) as if there is an electromagnetic field around my body, much like a static charge buildup, which last much longer that the waves do. I often feel that if someone were to try touching me, or even being in the room around me, I would know. I feel I would be able to sense them, although since I meditate in private, I have never been able to confirm this.

Much like your experience, I can control it too… well.. to a degree. I can make the moment last much longer if I give it focus than I believe it would normally last, several minutes in length for sure. This feeling always coincides with the pressure on my forehead and often when I feel that pressure I know I have reached the point where these sensations will occur. The only way I can truly describe the strength of the sensation is that I really, sincerely, believe that if someone was sitting next to me there is no way they could not feel it. I have no idea if that is actually true but it’s such a powerfully personal experience that I just cannot understand how someone couldn’t. These sensations have changed the way I view myself, meditation, and the world around me. I hunger very deeply to sincerely speak with someone who understands this, who feels this, to try to grasp what is happening to me. I feel very blessed to have these experiences because they have changed me profoundly. In this rational and analytical world this just shouldn’t be possible… but it is and I personally know this.

One thing to note through all of this is that in my 3 years of meditation the pressure in my forehead has become a part of my life, something has changed. I feel it in my waking state quite often and the more I meditate the more occurrences I have with this pressure in my waking state. When this occurs I feel very focused, very centered, and often lasts around 30sec to 1min before it dissipates. The frequency of this pressure has increased in number over the years and if I had to give a number I could say in my waking state I can feel it as many as 10 times a day(although not every day is that often). When meditating that pressure can last up to 30mins and has become a bit of a beacon, almost like a benchmark in my meditation which tells me what level I have reached.

I am sorry for the long post but I just feel so compelled to find the answer, to understand this (much like Jake), I cannot help but feverish write about it. I have little outlet to discuss it and know very few people who even meditate in the first place but it is well beyond anything I can explain. I can imagine this all sounds embellished or maybe even crazy but this is beyond subtle and is so brilliantly beautiful I truly wish I could share this experience with everyone.

Much love everyone,

Namaste,

Arron
cavelier_007, modified 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 12:47 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 12:47 AM

RE: Energy Pulses

I've had the same exact above mentioned experiences. Which include the pressure on the forehead and the feeling of energy radiating from the head region while going into deep meditation. And I would like to discuss about this further. Any advice is welcome as I've been Meditating only for about a month now. 
Darian Abram Ybanez, modified 8 Years ago at 4/7/15 2:16 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/7/15 2:16 AM

i am new to all of this but i have felt that same thing the pulse was so strong i almost felt like it was gunna throw me off my feet...it felt like nothing iv felt yet after it happened i felt like i was charged like a overloaded battery...i really need someone to talk to about this....all i wanna do is understand this aswell as all the other things iv felt....
Jimmy Jing Fu Wong, modified 8 Years ago at 9/29/15 11:12 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 9/29/15 10:58 PM

Arron Manning:
Hi Jake,

This is the first time I have posted to this forum and actually stumbled across it doing a google search for specifically “Energetic Body Pulses”. I have been meditating for almost 3 years now, roughly 5 days a week, with at least 1 hour sessions each. There are two things which I profoundly feel during my sessions. The first being the body pulse and the other being a very strong pressure on the center of my forehead. The sensation is very focused, as if someone has taken their finger and is pushing vigorously on my brow, just above and between my eyes. These sensations I have never felt before in my life until I began meditating and since then the sensations have only intensified to the point where I have been searching endlessly for its meaning and have very much become part of my life.

Your wording of “Body Pulse” could not be more accurate in my experiences. I have done many searches about this for quite some time and I do hear people talking about these experiences but specifically starting from the head and working its way through the body. Most people feel that apparently and usually occurs when you listen to music that really resonates with you at the present moment. They say it’s because the brain releases some form of dopamine when memories are stirred up that causes a euphoric tingling feeling to rush over us. In this instance though it seems scientifically and specifically to have to start from the head because of this chemical release, and creates a tingling feeling that washes over you (mostly noticeable in the head and shoulders). In this light I think people can certainly understand the sensation I am feeling although as Jake has mentioned (which is much like my experience) this profoundly comes directly from my chest and I can specifically feel a circular wave pattern that ripples outward from it.

I do what to explain my experience not only because I do want to share this with Jake, but also I am trying to understand it myself and hunger for answers. When meditating (often deeply when this occurs), I feel what I can only explain as a euphoric, explosion. I say explosion because it feels as if there is an initial momentary buildup which occurs in the center of my chest right before the experience which shockwaves through my entire body. The sensation, when speaking of its pattern, is like dropping a pebble in the water. There is an initial moment of impact, then creates what feels like a perfect circular pattern rippling out from its center, undulating like a wave. The peeks of the waves have the highest intensity with an almost electrical vibration about it making it very observable as it moves throughout my body. As the peeks move outward the areas between each waves crest creates a tingling sensation in its wake before the next pulse washes back over it again. Euphoric (in my mind) doesn’t really capture the feeling. The wave is so profound and pronounced that it is almost like a mini explosion, a dramatic release of pressure, that feels like almost nothing I have ever experienced in a non-meditative state. The feeling is wonderful to say the very least and has truly opened my eyes to another world I never knew existed, something internal… and powerful. The one place where I feel possibly your experience deviates from mine is not only do I feel it pulse through my entire body but I can feel it radiate through and out of me. My senses in this experience are incredibly heightened to where I can feel a subtle field outside of my body, beyond the boundaries of my skin. Much like the feeling of your hair standing on end, I can sense outside of my skin (around 6 to 7 inches I would guess). When the pulse vibrates through me I can feel it move beyond the boundaries of my body, continuing to ripple through and outside of this space. I can sense (when this occurs) as if there is an electromagnetic field around my body, much like a static charge buildup, which last much longer that the waves do. I often feel that if someone were to try touching me, or even being in the room around me, I would know. I feel I would be able to sense them, although since I meditate in private, I have never been able to confirm this.

Much like your experience, I can control it too… well.. to a degree. I can make the moment last much longer if I give it focus than I believe it would normally last, several minutes in length for sure. This feeling always coincides with the pressure on my forehead and often when I feel that pressure I know I have reached the point where these sensations will occur. The only way I can truly describe the strength of the sensation is that I really, sincerely, believe that if someone was sitting next to me there is no way they could not feel it. I have no idea if that is actually true but it’s such a powerfully personal experience that I just cannot understand how someone couldn’t. These sensations have changed the way I view myself, meditation, and the world around me. I hunger very deeply to sincerely speak with someone who understands this, who feels this, to try to grasp what is happening to me. I feel very blessed to have these experiences because they have changed me profoundly. In this rational and analytical world this just shouldn’t be possible… but it is and I personally know this.

One thing to note through all of this is that in my 3 years of meditation the pressure in my forehead has become a part of my life, something has changed. I feel it in my waking state quite often and the more I meditate the more occurrences I have with this pressure in my waking state. When this occurs I feel very focused, very centered, and often lasts around 30sec to 1min before it dissipates. The frequency of this pressure has increased in number over the years and if I had to give a number I could say in my waking state I can feel it as many as 10 times a day(although not every day is that often). When meditating that pressure can last up to 30mins and has become a bit of a beacon, almost like a benchmark in my meditation which tells me what level I have reached.

I am sorry for the long post but I just feel so compelled to find the answer, to understand this (much like Jake), I cannot help but feverish write about it. I have little outlet to discuss it and know very few people who even meditate in the first place but it is well beyond anything I can explain. I can imagine this all sounds embellished or maybe even crazy but this is beyond subtle and is so brilliantly beautiful I truly wish I could share this experience with everyone.

Much love everyone,

Namaste,

Arron

Greetings everyone involved in this discussion!

It is a pleasure to see other people awakening to this experience. In the Indian tradition, it is perhaps called Prana, and in Chinese tradtions, Qi(chi) 气.  For discussion sake i'll just use the word Qi.

As most people will note, these physical sensations happen when the mind is very still and quiet. In that balanced state, the Qi pathways of the body naturally has the least resistance, therefore it will flow naturally, and circulate itself. There are specific Qi centers in the body, the middle of the forehead, and the solar plexus/chest, being two of the most commonly experienced ones. People experience and describe it differently too due to their conditioning, but generally it will radiate from those few areas. Others feels the movement of Qi up their spine too, which is fine.

If you have any Qigong or Tai chi places to practice at near you, it could possibly be a place to meet people that understand this to varying  degrees.

Lastly, when you beging your meditation sessions, focus your attention, still your mind, and allow these sensations to arise and pervade the body, but this time round, just observe them, along with your breathing. Part of the 'developmental process' is also to allow these sensations to quiet down, and the glow of bliss will remain. (Glow of bliss is best described as the afterglow that you experience after a blissful orgasm)

When the glow of bliss also pervades your mental state, just observe it and allow it to quiet down by returning to your breath, then body/mind will return to the state of equipose, a very balanced state of relaxation and awareness.

As you become more groudned in that stillness, it carries over into your daily living and activities. Stillness functioning is akin to intuition, and it is extremely beneficial and wholesome. Clarity in itself is the 'goal & reward' at the same time.

Your state of concentration and attention would be refined in the process, but what you use it for, aka function, is very important.

It would help to also have the framework of some contemplative traditions to guide the deepening of insights into understanding of 'true nature', 'einsof', 'God', etc etc...

Then from thereon forth, would be how to use this life as a function, to alleviate the suffering in your family, community, country, world..moment ot moment..

Miles of smiles,
Jimmy
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 8 Years ago at 10/2/15 5:45 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/2/15 5:32 AM

re: Jake (12/11/13 12:18 PM)
"…an energy pulse type of sensation that I believe begins in my chest area and pulses outwards. … I can initiate it myself."

" happens at other times off the cushion when some event occurs, it triggers this feeling. Its also not a bad feeling at all, actually enjoy it. Its like my body has a pulse of 'energy' or something and it slowly fades away. The energy doesn't make it to my arms or legs, its mainly in the torso region where I can feel it."
(and later)
"… a wave is definitely a better way to describe it…"

Mario Nistri
(12/11/13 1:02 PM as a reply to Jake. )
"… you'll feel that clearly putting two fingertips between the heart and the solar plexus…"

Sounds much like what I've experienced that corresponds to (Pali) 'piti'– often translated as 'rapture' or 'joy', like #3 in this classical description: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pīti)
"As the meditator experiences tranquillity (samatha), one of five kinds of joy (piti) will arise. These are:
[1] Weak rapture only causes piloerection.
[hair standing on-end]
[2] Short rapture evocates some thunder "from time to time".
[3] Going down rapture explodes inside the body,
like waves.
[4] Exalting rapture "makes the body jump to the sky".
[5] Fulfilling rapture seems to be a huge flood of a mountain stream.
Note only the last two are considered specifically piti. The first four are just a preparation for the last one, which is the jhanic factor."

When starting meditation, 7+ years ago, this experience at first I thought to be jhana, but later learned that it doesn't have the absorption quality (of the type of jhana I know), but is a quality that accompanies some stages of jhana. It's most often a sort of welling-up, usually beginning (as per Jake and Mario) at upper abdomen / lower thorax, and expanding upward, often filling the head from the center (where, btw, it can be used to help achieving absorption). Often in waves, and can be invoked at will (e.g. here now to help describe it).

Earlier in life something like this happened (at rare but memorable occasions) as part of what I then took to be "mystical experiences".

Jimmy Jing Fu Wong
(9/29/15 11:12 PM as a reply to Arron Manning.)
"… In the Indian tradition, it is perhaps called Prana, and in Chinese tradtions, Qi(chi) 气.  …"
It does resemble certain of my experiences of 'qi', as in taijichan or daoyin (in modern terms qigong) exercises. Qi, though, is a much broader term (as is Indian Prana), and can refer to any physiological behavior (or the experience of which). In classical Chinese medicine, it refers to physiological activity in the broadest sense, and not only what is consciously experienced; i.e. it's what is observed, evaluated by a doctor, and then evoked, manipulated by therapy (e.g. acupuncture).

The qi / piti experience can also be said to resemble what some experience as a 'kundalini'-sort of experience, tho this is often more specific to something generated at the base of the spine, and sent up through the spine into the head. Or also as known in the 'micro-cosmic orbit' exercise of circulating this sensation up and down / around the body via the du (backside yang channel) and ren (frontside yin channel) "constitutional channels".

As in both the Buddhist and Chinese traditions, this experience is clearly something that can be cultivated and mastered, and is beneficial in both building meditative concentration as well as stimulating bodily healing / well-being. I have found piti work useful in overcoming states of bodily ill-ease. Especially useful in resolving headaches – both the excess / tension kind and the migraine / deficiency sort.

So definitely useful.

There's also the possibility of being carried to excess when not balanced by some sense of groundedness. For instance, it's well known that unbalanced practice of kundalini sort of experiences can end up in pathology – too much yang (out and upward activity, heat) without grounding in yin (substance/earth/water) can result in a sort of 'burn-out', or more dramatically 'flame-out'. Americans, as a rule living over-actively, overly yang (push, strive, achieve,…), are especially prone to this.
Eva Nie, modified 8 Years ago at 10/3/15 11:02 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/3/15 11:02 AM

I wonder if this is related to the tingling feeling that some people can get from listening to certain sounds that trigger an ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) : http://www.asmrlab.com/common-asmr-triggers/ .  It's been some what of a 'thing' in recent years on youtube that people have discovered the certain sounds can yield a pleasant (not sexual) tingling response in the body for some people, sounds like gentle whispering, book pages turning, soft clicking noises, etc.  The tingling moves like a pleasant wave from the head or spine region.  Some people also get it from getting their hair cut with scissors.  I can get a bit of it from certain clicking noises but my response is small compared to some people.  The response tends to lessen after repeated exposure too so people sometimes have to stop listening for a while to allow the response to regenerate.  Since it's a pleasant feeling, there are people who make an excellent living making ASMR videos and custom videos.  Each person has different ASMR triggers so those with money to spare like to have custom made videos.
-Eva  
thumbnail
Andrew K, modified 8 Years ago at 10/3/15 4:38 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/3/15 4:38 PM

Jake:
Since this feeling comes from my chest area, I am thinking it could be myself noticing the sensation of blood flowing out of the heart. I could be picking up on a beat of the heart actually pushing the blood outwards in my body.

Seems simple enough to test, can you distinguish this pulse from the pulse of your heartbeat? Do they happen at the same time? 
selam wondimu robi, modified 7 Years ago at 3/12/17 2:42 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/12/17 2:42 PM

Hi Jake. I have done two Goenka retreats and started experiencing the energy pulse you described the moment I started scanning my body. I still have it now and experience it outside of meditation too. 

I'm trying to understand it and cant find any resources online other than this chain of posts. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Tyler, modified 6 Years ago at 6/18/17 9:36 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/18/17 9:33 PM

I get the energy pulse feeling too except I send mine from my head out through my body
Dom Stone, modified 6 Years ago at 6/19/17 4:13 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/19/17 4:13 AM

The way I see it, is that it's a bit peculiar only one person has described this as piti, which leads me to question my own experiences!

I also have had this feeling, but have always related it to deep access concentration and more specifically, the 'falling' into first hard jhana. It cannot be controlled, or turned on at will, summon would be more of a better word if you excuse the usual use of the word. Any attempts to control disturb the mind somewhat enough to stop it from happening.

As mentioned before, the same feeling does happen at certain times like good music or a specific type of surprise etc.

As there are a couple of knowledgeable members posting on this topic, I'm surprised that they have not mentioned this being jhana already, which causes me to once again question my own definition of jhana.

Vippasana (soft) jhana:
A connecting with a baseline experience. Observation of experience safely occurs within this backdrop, which suffuses the meditator. Corresponds strongly with the ñanas. Breadth of experience more noticeable that feelings of piti and rapture, despite joy being noticeable at 2nd jhana.

Samatha (hard) jhana:
A shutdown of non essential mental processes that causes a similar baseline experience, that also happens to be the primary object due to lack of objects available. This causes stronger effects of baseline experience such as piti, which for me can cause energy to rush up and down my spine, and forget my sitting posture as everything is messed up.

Are my definitions correct? Or am I pretending jhana is much harder than it actually is?
Pramod kumar Patel, modified 6 Years ago at 10/25/17 1:22 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/25/17 1:22 AM

this pulse thing is happening to me. i'm confused since people here say that they've been meditating for 8 yrs or so and then they get this feeling but I've been meditating for literally a week now and this is happening to me. at first i could do it at will and it was restricted to some areas but not it happens all the time without me even wanting it. i feel chilly all the time, although my concentration level has increased in real life drastically, i want to know if its a bad thing. what happened to you afterwards, please tell me your progress. should i be worried or continue. please help
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 10/26/17 7:51 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/26/17 7:51 AM

Pramod kumar Patel:
this pulse thing is happening to me. i'm confused since people here say that they've been meditating for 8 yrs or so and then they get this feeling but I've been meditating for literally a week now and this is happening to me. at first i could do it at will and it was restricted to some areas but not it happens all the time without me even wanting it. i feel chilly all the time, although my concentration level has increased in real life drastically, i want to know if its a bad thing. what happened to you afterwards, please tell me your progress. should i be worried or continue. please help

This is a good thing. I discovered this around 4 weeks into meditation and use it along with the standard method of summoning the 1st jhana. I can get this going by 'willing' the in or out breath towards the solar plexus, although it will go on by itself for awhile, to increase its intensity and detonation radius, simply keep 'willing' the breath towards the same area and time the pauses between breaths to catch the crest of the wave to pull it to load the next wave. By itself, it is possible to enter the 1st jhana by soaking into the full-body explosions (along with summoning sukha- bliss) that occurs repeatedly. 

However, this method is not fail-safe as there are occasions where the Qi simply doesn't show or the jhana shift will not occur. Play with it, it is pleasurable emoticon
Pramod kumar Patel, modified 6 Years ago at 10/28/17 1:30 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/28/17 1:30 PM

i did it. concentrated all that pulse thingy to my head. it felt awesome. what to do now. is there a detailed step by step guide for this. not the spiritual stuff, i don't understand any of it. just a what to do and how to do it list. 
Pramod kumar Patel, modified 6 Years ago at 10/28/17 1:37 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/28/17 1:37 PM

and one more thing i want to do astral projection. have you done it if so, please tell me how to do it .I'll be thankful
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 10/29/17 2:24 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/29/17 2:24 AM

Pramod kumar Patel:
and one more thing i want to do astral projection. have you done it if so, please tell me how to do it .I'll be thankful

Is astral projection even real, anyone experienced this outside of the 'mind'? I am currently on a 'losing' path, not really interested to pick up more concepts but I might be interested in the future to look into siddhis and the like to know the truth for myself. Maybe try searching/asking Angra Mainyu or Pawek K. emoticon
ingvar dash, modified 4 Years ago at 1/5/20 5:50 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/5/20 5:49 PM

Yes astral projection is real, I have personally experienced it multiple times, through deliberate meditation. 

I found this topic searching for energy pulse phenomenon, it's exactly as has been already described. I can initiate it and direct it even in a waking state. I did notice however that if done more than several times in a row, I get up weaker from the meditation so it would make sense that this is Qi. Would love to learn its use and ways to harness this beyond the microcosmic orbit circulation and the big upward draw. 
if anyone figures this out it would be awesome to hear an explanation!
Marino Klisovich, modified 4 Years ago at 1/6/20 2:54 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/6/20 2:53 PM

Jake, this is your energy. This human energy is also called prana or chi. There are many energies in human body and all of them have their natural flow. In meditation, your energies begin to flow naturally. If you have energy blockages, you will experience outbursts of energy in areas where energy blockages are located. 

Tai-chi and Qigong are Taoist energy practices specifically designed for the development of chi.

Sincerely,
Marino
Tony Blake, modified 2 Years ago at 1/30/22 10:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/30/22 10:24 PM

It started after I listened to Eckhart Tolle about energy in the body. I noticed that I could lay down, kind of hold my breath and feel a pulsing that usually began lightly in my face and then went to my hands and feet. If I could concentrate, and keep it going, it would get stronger and stronger. I could stop it at any time. I began to have memories of doing it as a child. I remember wondering what would happen if I let it keep stronger and stronger. One time it got so strong, I thought something bad would happen, so I stopped allowing to happen.

I have started to use it in meditation in place of the breath. When my monkey mind starts going, I can initiate the pulses and I can only focus on them or the mind antics. Sometimes, when I am really still, I can direct the pulsing into different parts of my body and, one in a while, my whole body. Sometimes i think it makes a hurting part of my body start feeling better, but that could just be a trick of the mind.

I don't understand it in any way. Until I found this site, I have never heard of anyone else who experiences it. This is the first time I have told ANYONE about it, except my silent retreat teacher. 

Breadcrumb