Woah… what the heck just happened

thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 2:04 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 2:04 PM

Woah… what the heck just happened

Hey all. I know I've been on a sort of posting rampage but this website has so much 'fruit' I can't help but gather it all in.

I just got out of a 45min meditation (intended to do an hour but had an event happen).

I was doing noting meditating, quite well, very fast and with good accuracy (although not the best) then suddenly I felt a pull to focus, so I did. That spot happened to be my breath underneath my nose on my upper lip. I focused on that for a second or two and made a resolve to 'enter jhana' (whichever jhana my mind would allow) because it seemed I had reached access concentration.
After this resolve was made I started to get really focused and expansive. I started to expand a lot and it felt as though my hands were really far away (I was sitting in a chair meditating). Then it felt like my body was essentially empty and my attention was able to flow through it and focus on whatever it seemed to want to. I had a difficult time noting quickly, noting seemed to slow down substantially and so I just noted one or two things at a time. I focused a bit on the feeling, what was going on and everything I could note, then my ear started to become insanely itchy and my focus seemed to break.

Anything of value just happen or is this another one of those 'hmm interesting…. but not important'- events?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 2:29 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 2:21 PM

RE: Woah… what the heck just happened

Travis Gene McKinstry:
Hey all. I know I've been on a sort of posting rampage but this website has so much 'fruit' I can't help but gather it all in.

I just got out of a 45min meditation (intended to do an hour but had an event happen).

I was doing noting meditating, quite well, very fast and with good accuracy (although not the best) then suddenly I felt a pull to focus, so I did. That spot happened to be my breath underneath my nose on my upper lip. I focused on that for a second or two and made a resolve to 'enter jhana' (whichever jhana my mind would allow) because it seemed I had reached access concentration.
After this resolve was made I started to get really focused and expansive. I started to expand a lot and it felt as though my hands were really far away (I was sitting in a chair meditating). Then it felt like my body was essentially empty and my attention was able to flow through it and focus on whatever it seemed to want to. I had a difficult time noting quickly, noting seemed to slow down substantially and so I just noted one or two things at a time. I focused a bit on the feeling, what was going on and everything I could note, then my ear started to become insanely itchy and my focus seemed to break.

Anything of value just happen or is this another one of those 'hmm interesting…. but not important'- events?

Sounds like you were practicing the noting technique well and when done like so there will be a plethora of 'events' that the mind will assign or try to assign meaning to. The job of the noting technique is to simply notice and note exactly the object/s arising and passing in any given moment. Would need a bit more info and details about future sits to see any patterns emerge. Start a practice thread. Record what goes on in each sit and let's diagnose from there.

The value I think is in seeing that if you continuing to do what you did in the 45 minutes maybe two times a day, you will make your way through the knowledges (nanas) and beyond.
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 2:25 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 2:25 PM

RE: Woah… what the heck just happened (Answer)

Got it. I'll post this over in my practice log.

Still getting used to what questions/posts go where.
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 5:57 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 5:57 PM

Hi Travis,

I do think that "pull" sensation is a part of the "unification of mind" (aka: single-pointedness) jhana factor.

I have found for myself that wanting more of this pull (which I sometimes call "magnetization") can prevent the arising of jhana in meditation. "Wanting" prevents sukkha (comfort, ease, contentment). I'm sure you are aware this can happen; I just want to add that as something pretty commonly encountered.

Best wishes in your practice. It can be fun when this happens!
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 6:14 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/11/13 6:14 PM

katy steger:

I have found for myself that wanting more of this pull (which I sometimes call "magnetization") can prevent the arising of jhana in meditation. "Wanting" prevents sukkha (comfort, ease, contentment). I'm sure you are aware this can happen; I just want to add that as something pretty commonly encountered.

Hearing this helps tons. I didn't know this happened often and I will be aware of this now.

I did experience a long time ago what felt like piti, one of the jhanic factors. After that happened I felt myself craving this a lot and therefore prevented myself from experiencing it. I didn't know it at the time, but as long as I really wanted piti to arise again it didn't.

Anyways, thanks again for the input emoticon every little bit helps tremendously. It's like finding bits of gold in a dumpster.

Breadcrumb