CAMP CONCENTRATION

thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 11:46 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 4:23 PM

CAMP CONCENTRATION

ACCESS - JHANA - ARUPA LOKA - ET AL

Why? How? What?

Dharma Overground Concentration Category

Here are two sites with excellent resources for exploring traditional BuddhaDhamma:

Access to Insight

Dhamma Wheel

Q's & A's

Triplethink Transporter Deck
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 7:51 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 7:51 PM

RE: CAMP CONCENTRATION

IS this a place one can ask you about the wh's of concentration?

I still haven't gotten a grasp on how 'you' work triple think… haha thats why I ask.
thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 9:00 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 8:43 PM

Travis Gene McKinstry:
IS this a place one can ask you about the wh's of concentration?

I still haven't gotten a grasp on how 'you' work triple think… haha thats why I ask.
Absolutely & Specifically.
For Four Jhana & the like.

One must be quick to get a grasp of me...
- triplethink

Triplethink Transporter Deck
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 9:21 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 9:21 PM

triple think:
Absolutely & Specifically.
For Four Jhana & the like.

Cool. I just posted a question about them.

I'm wondering; is it possible to 'spontaneously' enter into jhana? It seems like I might have done this several times without 'intending' to. And if so, what should one do if one is attempting to do insight meditation? I hear of 'analyzing' the factors but what does this really entail? Can you explain that?
thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 9:31 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 9:28 PM

Travis Gene McKinstry:
I'm wondering; is it possible to 'spontaneously' enter into jhana? It seems like I might have done this several times without 'intending' to. And if so, what should one do if one is attempting to do insight meditation? I hear of 'analyzing' the factors but what does this really entail? Can you explain that?
Sure Gene.
It depends first of all, in this case, what you may be implying by the term 'spontaneously'. This said, anyone may, dependent upon the appropriate conditions, enter Jhana. Therefore it is important to understand what these appropriate conditions are, how these arise and what conditions arise in opposition to the appropriate conditions.
- triplethink
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 10:02 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 10:02 PM

triple think:
Travis Gene McKinstry:
Sure Gene.
It depends first of all, in this case, what you may be implying by the term 'spontaneously'. This said, anyone may, dependent upon the appropriate conditions, enter Jhana. Therefore it is important to understand what these appropriate conditions are, how these arise and what conditions arise in opposition to the appropriate conditions.
- triplethink

I guess I meant 'spontaneously' by 'not necessarily trying to enter jhana'. Like by intending to do insight meditation.
thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 11:43 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 11:36 PM

Travis Gene McKinstry:
I guess I meant 'spontaneously' by 'not necessarily trying to enter jhana'. Like by intending to do insight meditation.
This makes sense. Again, this is dependent. Many people here have adopted a very wide definition of Jhana and they will have other views and other advice for you to consider. I typically base my criteria for entering Jhana on the traditional Theravada sources as do some others here. I will prepare a presentation based in the Pali Tipitaka in this thread when I have sufficient time to do so and post it here in this thread. In the meantime I can suggest you do as much general reading on the subjects of concentration and Jhana here and elsewhere. There are already many excellent threads here in the Concentration Category.

/// triplethink /|\

Here are two sites with excellent resources for exploring traditional BuddhaDhamma:

Access to Insight

Dhamma Wheel
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/18/13 10:47 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/18/13 10:47 AM

triple think:
Travis Gene McKinstry:
This makes sense. Again, this is dependent. Many people here have adopted a very wide definition of Jhana and they will have other views and other advice for you to consider. I typically base my criteria for entering Jhana on the traditional Theravada sources as do some others here. I will prepare a presentation based in the Pali Tipitaka in this thread when I have sufficient time to do so and post it here in this thread. In the meantime I can suggest you do as much general reading on the subjects of concentration and Jhana here and elsewhere. There are already many excellent threads here in the Concentration Category.

/// triplethink /|\

Access to Insight

Dhamma Wheel

Cool. Thank you very much the feedback/advice is very helpful emoticon
Chuck Kasmire, modified 10 Years ago at 12/18/13 1:23 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/18/13 1:23 PM

triple think:
I typically base my criteria for entering Jhana on the traditional Theravada sources as do some others here. I will prepare a presentation based in the Pali Tipitaka in this thread when I have sufficient time to do so and post it here in this thread.

That would be nice to see Nathan.

Ajahn Brahm has part of his book Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond available on line here. Also many youtube talks by him on that subject - just search youtube for 'ajahn brahm meditation'

Breadcrumb