Walking Meditation Techniques

George S Lteif, modified 10 Years ago at 12/22/13 5:58 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/22/13 5:58 AM

Walking Meditation Techniques

Hello,

I have been doing walking meditation according to the teachings of Ajahn Tong Sirimangalo.
www.vipassana.org.mx/biblioteca/libros/TheOnlyWay.doc‎

The practice consists of noting several stages in each step up to a total of 6 stages per step:
Example: rising, lifting, moving, lowering, touching, placing.

Focusing on the feet and ignoring other sensations unless something comes up strongly then one is advised to stop the walking and focus on the sensation until it passes.

My questions:
Does the practice have to be that slow? Or fast walking is also acceptable?
Should one note other sensations as well? Seeing? Feeling?

What other techniques are available out there?

Many thanks,
George
thumbnail
Sadalsuud Beta Aquarii, modified 10 Years ago at 12/22/13 11:56 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/22/13 11:55 AM

RE: Walking Meditation Techniques

I quite enjoy doing walking meditation, in a relaxed, casual, way.
Looking round the park, cycling every few breaths between paying attention to the breath, then to the body (e.g. feet) and then to sights & sounds.

As phenomena came up, I would sometimes do the reverse 3 characteristics on them, which I came to call the 3Ps (in a slightly advaita way)
checking to see if sensations (e.g. sight of tree, feel of wind on face) were:
* Perfect (is there anything wrong with the sensations and how they feel?)
* Personal (part of me, not separate to me, no boundary between me and them)
* Permanent (that the sensations were occuring in/as eternal timeless awareness).

I know it isn't quite congruent with MCTB vipassana theory, and in many ways doesn't even make sense, but it's really enjoyable, pleasurable, and spacious, and it worked for me. YMMV
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 12/22/13 3:52 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/22/13 3:52 PM

George S. Lteif:
Hello,

I have been doing walking meditation according to the teachings of Ajahn Tong Sirimangalo.
www.vipassana.org.mx/biblioteca/libros/TheOnlyWay.doc‎

The practice consists of noting several stages in each step up to a total of 6 stages per step:
Example: rising, lifting, moving, lowering, touching, placing.

Focusing on the feet and ignoring other sensations unless something comes up strongly then one is advised to stop the walking and focus on the sensation until it passes.

My questions:
Does the practice have to be that slow? Or fast walking is also acceptable?
Should one note other sensations as well? Seeing? Feeling?

What other techniques are available out there?

Many thanks,
George

Slow walking and focusing on the transitory sensation will put you in the insite/vipassana side of meditation. Speeding it up and subtracting stages tends to start getting to not really noticing the sensations of each and every step and turns it more mantra like and thus concentration meditation arises. The same thing happens with breath....every little sensation of breath or just in out in out in out. Try it both ways. See what happens. Your own experience can guide you.
Good luck
~D
George S Lteif, modified 10 Years ago at 12/25/13 4:14 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/25/13 4:14 PM

Thank you both.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 10 Years ago at 12/26/13 4:41 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/26/13 4:41 PM

Howdy,
I love walking medi, especially on retreat where it provides an energetic counterpoint to sitting. I've practiced with every possible count and combination. Eg: if I'm trying to get somewhere just note left-right or just focus on the FEEL of your sole against your shoe as it makes contact. If you are composed and focused breaking down the process into little pieces and staying tightly bound with noting can bring some marvelous insights.

Have fun

tom