A conjecture on various processes in meditation

thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 13 Years ago at 5/11/10 5:56 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/11/10 5:56 AM

A conjecture on various processes in meditation

I have a conjecture on how some of the differences among different meditative paths arise.

Conjecture 1It seems that different meditation techniques will do one of two things with the "software" running in the brain. It is possible to either erase the program altogether, and it is possible to somehow embed the program --- while it is still runing --- this causes the program to become omnipresent in a way that its function is made somehow different and not painful. Some examples:
--- No-self in Theravada vs "all is self" (which shows up in many traditions)
--- No-desire (AF, here and there in various traditions) vs. cultivation of desire (bahkti, in Yoga)
--- No-affection (AF) vs. "outpouring divine love" (AYP), the four immesurables (buddhism)
--- No-Self (AF, buddhism) vs "I am THAT" (AYP), the cultivation of the feeling of god everywhere (Shinzen Young also reports this type of cultivation in Jewish mysticism and his own experience).
--- Elimination of the visual imagination faculty (once again, AF), vs. the ability to conjure halucinations at will (various techniques).

Do you find this to be an appealing pattern? It seems that people intending to change their brain might be able to pick and choose from either side. I like the way it looks as though one is eliminating or "upgrading" software from the brain. So "arhatship" would be "eliminating the identity program."

Tarin, you mentioned that you still have some "inner-imagination" ability left, which is unlike Richard, apparently. I wonder if it is possible to pick up from there and develop it until it becomes really powerful (like, for instance, you can generate an image or a song in your mind's eye/ear). And if it is possible to eliminate it afterwards. And if it is possible to generate a similar program again, by use of memory, say. E.g., if you focus on the top of your kidneys, in your adrenal glands, and try to remember how fear felt like, can you stimulate them into releasing adrenalin?

It really annoys me that there is no known way to reprogram these things once they are erased. For instance, it seems unfortunate and limiting that, having all the necessary glands, Tarin can not bring himself to feel fear. I mean, the direct AF experience seems like an orgy of the senses, which is certainly fine and fun (I do remember my LSD trips :-)), but I personally don't want to miss out on the other aspects of experience. I'm sure AF is fascinating, but so is the "everything is love" state, or, more down-to-earth, theater is also interesting, shakespeare; the emotional overtones in music (it's one thing to recognize them intelectually, and something else to "feel" them as they come), etc.

However, I DID read this book, a long time ago, about trance. It is entitled "Trance, from magic to technology," and the guy claimed, in this book, that he was able to undo the ego process and start it up again. He would do this, supposedly, because of his understanding of what a trance is and how one goes about creating and destroying trances. He claimed that the ego process was a trance. I don't know how accurate it was, but it might be an interesting thing to check out. Specifically, I would be very curious to know if the AF folk could enter into transe.

Bruno

Breadcrumb