Awareness of awareness practice

anti anti camper, modified 10 Years ago at 12/29/13 3:07 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/29/13 3:07 PM

Awareness of awareness practice

I practice a form of concentration called "Awareness of awareness", though Tibetan Buddhists consider this to straddle the edge of concentration and insight. I find it to be very subtle. I'd be interested to hear war stories from anyone out there who also practices this.

aac
anti anti camper, modified 10 Years ago at 12/30/13 6:17 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/30/13 6:17 AM

RE: Awareness of awareness practice

The term "mindfulness" is very general and awareness of awareness is just one type of mindfulness practice. Others include mindfulness of breathing, mindfulness of mental events, and many others. Awareness of awareness is sometimes called "concentration without an object" ("samatha without a sign") because unlike the other forms of concentration in which there is an object of concentration, AofA has no object, awareness itself not being an object.

aac
Banned For waht?, modified 10 Years ago at 12/30/13 7:35 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/30/13 7:35 AM

Imho, awarness without object is already start of the pathless path.
You will notice that your awarness is not stable and that awarness is stable. For now only thing is to get your awarness same stable than the awarness you want to hold(it takes effort and skills).
After that you can figure how to escape the realms of becoming. Its by leaping over to the stable. You will methaphorically switch the sides, but it seems at the beginning you have done nothing because your awareness is still not stable but it takes long time probably to leave the longtime habits. You will start landing on that stability time to time.

If i could ask, how did you found that awarness of awarness(or awareness without object)? it is rare to get and master.

For me how i discern it, is by that i will become aware of the emptiness, space. While before everything was still raw. Also the signs you have found the right thing is that you could feel like you are flying or light, surrounding is moving, floating etc. Maybe the signs are not obvious at first.

At the beginning i thought that it was 5th jhana but it isn't. Because you don't become space, you will instead become yourself in emptiness, immortality achieved, realized. I could be wrong..
thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 12/30/13 10:01 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/30/13 10:01 AM

anti anti camper:
The term "mindfulness" is very general and awareness of awareness is just one type of mindfulness practice. Others include mindfulness of breathing, mindfulness of mental events, and many others. Awareness of awareness is sometimes called "concentration without an object" ("samatha without a sign") because unlike the other forms of concentration in which there is an object of concentration, AofA has no object, awareness itself not being an object.
aac

Just a small question, out of curiosity, isn't "watching the watcher" kind of a previous practice before being able to do that kind of practice?
Banned For waht?, modified 10 Years ago at 12/30/13 12:47 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/30/13 12:47 PM

@Rist Ei
your description seem to indicate some sort of dissociative-alike experience

maybe it is not 5th jhana but higher one?

all jhanas up to total cessation are self reflected or produced and are dry or raw.

What i did_
I discover that my body is my self.

If i am not my body then:
I am consciousness and only thinks that this body is mine. Jhanas are the product of consciousness and does not go further than its own nirodha(cessation).

I can't prove it:
But there is a difference and real changes.

The difference is that nirvana or the boundless is real deal. Whatever you do affects your body and mind. Also abiding in boundless seems to transform the self(body included) something better in everything. Body, mind and self is the same thing.

i believe that body can be dematerialized. All signs are pointing towards it.

i don't know if it is dissociative.
This realizing self is rare, i don't expect that others say its normal. In my eyes wanting to get rid of self is insane.

There is no-self refers exactly what it says, there is no-self. I don't find it there its right here...

Breadcrumb