Want to find out about yoga retreats

thumbnail
Brian K, modified 10 Years ago at 1/2/14 11:48 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/2/14 11:48 AM

Want to find out about yoga retreats

So, I've been practicing yoga lately in lieu of sitting meditation. I really like it, and am definitely seeing some positive effects on my mind and person. I want to know about taking a yoga retreat. For instance, for Buddhists we can go on retreats that are essentially free. I've been on goenka retreats as well as to Pa-Auk and Panditarama in Myanmar. Just go, tell them you're there, and start mediating. That was literally my experience with Pa-Auk haha. Now, I'd like to find something like that to practice Yoga. I am willing (and even would prefer) to go to somewhere like Asia, though i currently live in New Jersey. I'm a student and really don't have thousands of dollars to spend on expensive yoga retreats. I'd like to go somewhere like an ashram or yoga center in asia and be able to stay there for a few months, depending. Anyone know anything about this? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 10 Years ago at 1/10/14 12:48 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/10/14 12:48 AM

RE: Want to find out about yoga retreats

Hey Brian,
i like yoga. i got a start with a great teacher and practice it on my own which is great. i did the same with meditation, went on a couple of goenka retreats, not free, but dana (donation based) and then practiced on my own.

that's the good thing about these non-team sports, you can do it on your own. that goes for retreats too. of course its great to have a teacher around to give you pointers but in the end you are the one in downward dog.

i've heard of one donation based yoga retreat around darjeeling in india and will look for a link. it is supposed to be über excellent.

tom
thumbnail
Brian K, modified 10 Years ago at 1/12/14 9:01 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/12/14 9:01 PM

RE: Want to find out about yoga retreats

Awesome. Let me know.

Breadcrumb