Darkness envelopes my eyes

James Bays, modified 10 Years ago at 1/3/14 7:06 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/3/14 6:48 PM

Darkness envelopes my eyes

Hi there,

I'm a beginner mediator who sits every night for around 20 mins. I mediate on my bed with only my computer monitor on for lighting. When I sit and close my eyes, I can "see" the light with my eyes closed. I know it's there.

Recently, I've noticed that after 20 seconds of sitting, a darkness or blackness envelopes my eyes. It's like I'm being pulled into that blackness. I can longer "see" the monitor lighting. With my eyes closed, it's just pitch black.

Is this something or is this nothing?

Many thanks
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 1/3/14 7:50 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/3/14 7:50 PM

RE: Darkness envelopes my eyes

James Bays:
Hi there,

I'm a beginner mediator who sits every night for around 20 mins. I mediate on my bed with only my computer monitor on for lighting. When I sit and close my eyes, I can "see" the light with my eyes closed. I know it's there.

Recently, I've noticed that after 20 seconds of sitting, a darkness or blackness envelopes my eyes. It's like I'm being pulled into that blackness. I can longer "see" the monitor lighting. With my eyes closed, it's just pitch black.

Many thanks

It's an 'experience' which has been conceptualised as an "enveloping blackness or darkness". What is your practice in more detail? What is your intention with the meditation? What do you hope to get out of it? The type of advice will depend on your answers to these questions.
thumbnail
John P, modified 10 Years ago at 1/5/14 11:33 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/5/14 11:33 AM

James Bays:

That's probably just your eye's muscles relaxing further.
Like Nikolai said, that becomes conceptualized into "enveloping darkness".
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 1/7/14 8:22 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/7/14 8:22 PM

James Bays:
I've noticed that after 20 seconds of sitting, a darkness or blackness envelopes my eyes. It's like I'm being pulled into that blackness. I can longer "see" the monitor lighting. With my eyes closed, it's just pitch black.

Time will tell....I experience this too but not after 20 seconds....sometimes one eye will do this and not the other...very weird when this happens.
See if you can add dimension to it to turn it from flat black to 3d...
Good luck,
~D