Can someone provide a little newbie technique instruction?

Pickle Bear, modified 10 Years ago at 1/9/14 12:31 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/9/14 12:31 AM

Can someone provide a little newbie technique instruction?

Hello there! emoticon

I've been meditating on and off, but mostly off, for the past five years. However now I'm trying to really be a lot more focused and actually make legitimate progress instead of just relaxing and getting the occasional bit of clarity. (I have experienced a few interesting things here and there, too, but never in a consistent way).

Currently I meditate for 30 minutes every morning. I'm trying to increase by 1 minute a day until I get to 60 minutes, but my knees are objecting so I'll either have to get a new posture or just be patient with my body. I currently sit in Seiza, with dyhani mudra, and the tip of my tongue touching the roof of my mouth, which I learned from a Zen center.

My breathing might be a little unusual. What I do is I breathe into my belly (well, into my lungs, but I guess this pushes down my diaphragm and makes my belly go out), but I want a full breath. In order to do this, I continue to inhale, but then my chest fills and my belly goes back in. This creates a slight tingling in my spine and it often cracks. I think this might be energy going up, but it never seems to pass my neck. I pause for a second, and then on the exhale I just relax until the end, when I force the breath out just a little bit. I try and make it a smooth process, though.

It seems to be going ok. My attention definitely becomes more 'subtle' in that I become very sensitive to what's happening in my body. Sometimes I get a bit blissful but nothing intense. But I get confused as to where I'm supposed to put my attention because at that point the "breath" seems like such a broad topic. I'll try to focus on the tip of my nose, but then I can't help feeling my belly go in and out. Or I'll try and focus on the whole motion, but then it feels like I'm not focusing but rather simply paying attention to whatever breath related sensations I have. It seems like after about 15 minutes I'm in a pretty good place, but by 20 minutes I might lose that and wonder if I'm doing it right, and by 30 minutes my knees are saying, "dude.. you're done." I could just sit in a chair, but I really do like the way seiza keeps my back quite straight with minimal effort.

When I'm done, I do a bit of homemade yoga, which means I just do what my body feels like it wants to do. This usually involves going into child's pose for a minute, and there's actually quite a bit of heat coming off my spine. This tells me that yes, something probably actually is happening energetically. And then a few other stretches just cuz they feel good.

Anyway, if you're reading this, thank you! Do you have any tips for me? I really would like to move forward.
Gregory R H, modified 10 Years ago at 1/9/14 1:12 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/9/14 1:12 AM

RE: Can someone provide a little newbie technique instruction?

Just one comment on a posture and knee pain. I acquired a 8-inch tall stool and sit on it in Zen style, I don't have to deal with knee problems anymore.

Best regards,

Greg
Pickle Bear, modified 10 Years ago at 1/11/14 10:47 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/11/14 10:47 PM

Gregory R. H.:
Just one comment on a posture and knee pain. I acquired a 8-inch tall stool and sit on it in Zen style, I don't have to deal with knee problems anymore.

Best regards,

Greg

I have a seiza bench. Knees still hurt towards the end but I suppose I'll just keep going and if it doesn't get better I'll switch.

Thanks emoticon

Dream Walker:
Pickle Bear:
Do you have any tips for me? I really would like to move forward.

1) Tip 1 -Try reading MCTB. I would then reread it, I get a lot out of it each time I read it.
2) Tip 2 - try asking a specific question if you want a specific answer.
3) Tip 3 - try enumerating your questions you wish a response from.

Good luck,
~D

I've started MCTB... there's just a lot there! I'll keep sticking to it, and ask more specific questions in the future. Thanks! emoticon

tom moylan:
hi there and welcome PB,
generally if you focus on one specific point, like the upper lip or tip of the nose etc., and really try to stay with just the sensation at that point you will develop concentration more quickly than just following the MANY sensations of what we call 'the breath'. concentration is important and more concentration is better than less. knowing when to concentrate tightly or more widely is a vast topic and the requirements will change with the development of your practice.

the kind of breath meditation you are doing is similar to what you will find on the AYPSite and might also have parallels with your homemade yoga (although in reverse order, yoga first).

the recommendation above of 'reading MCTB' is the best advice if you haven't done so as is the suggestion of asking really specific questions about exactly what you are experiencing in your sits. it is really good to talk about the real sensations as opposed to emotions, feelings, psychology at first. we tend to tangle these things up and knowing what are sensations (mental and physical) and what are compounds of sensations is tricky.

so great to read you hear.

tom

Thanks for the pointers, Tom. I checked out the site and it looks like I'm doing a type of pranayama which people usually do for 10-20 minutes before meditating.
thumbnail
Daemon Shockley, modified 10 Years ago at 1/12/14 3:06 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/12/14 3:06 AM

Playful experimentation, curiosity, and excited interest are at least as valuable as discipline. (More, in my personal experience)

MCTB is fantastic, and I owe my interest in meditation to it, but I found this description of fruition/cessation here: http://alohadharma.wordpress.com/the-map/ more useful than the one in MCTB.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 1/9/14 10:03 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/9/14 10:03 PM

Pickle Bear:
Do you have any tips for me? I really would like to move forward.

1) Tip 1 -Try reading MCTB. I would then reread it, I get a lot out of it each time I read it.
2) Tip 2 - try asking a specific question if you want a specific answer.
3) Tip 3 - try enumerating your questions you wish a response from.

Good luck,
~D
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 10 Years ago at 1/10/14 12:16 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/10/14 12:16 AM

hi there and welcome PB,
generally if you focus on one specific point, like the upper lip or tip of the nose etc., and really try to stay with just the sensation at that point you will develop concentration more quickly than just following the MANY sensations of what we call 'the breath'. concentration is important and more concentration is better than less. knowing when to concentrate tightly or more widely is a vast topic and the requirements will change with the development of your practice.

the kind of breath meditation you are doing is similar to what you will find on the AYPSite and might also have parallels with your homemade yoga (although in reverse order, yoga first).

the recommendation above of 'reading MCTB' is the best advice if you haven't done so as is the suggestion of asking really specific questions about exactly what you are experiencing in your sits. it is really good to talk about the real sensations as opposed to emotions, feelings, psychology at first. we tend to tangle these things up and knowing what are sensations (mental and physical) and what are compounds of sensations is tricky.

so great to read you hear.

tom

Breadcrumb