When does noting become choiceless awareness?

thumbnail
Andrew Young, modified 10 Years ago at 1/21/14 4:00 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/21/14 3:57 PM

When does noting become choiceless awareness?

I think I have been practicing noting, but am not certain. Dan suggested using "bip" or something like that, as opposed to a specific noting word in order to avoid getting bogged down in the choice of word.

I went further and have just been using a tone in my head. Which is possibly what Dan meant anyway.

Sometimes though when things go well, it's more like a dim flash bulb, and I'm wondering where the line is between noting and choiceless awareness. If (what I call) my "note" is extremely subtle, then at what point have I crossed the line into choiceless awareness?

The thing is, when going down this subtle noting road my "noting" rate is about 10 times what it is when I try noting using a word. So going back to using words seems like a major backwards step.

I note Dans comments about choiceless awareness:
"They have the disadvantages for many of lacking the precision and focus that allows the penetration of objects to see their true nature and gain insights rather than getting lost in them, not perceiving them clearly, and related problems."

But I do not feel like I'm falling into these. When noticed the object feels impersonal/objective and crystal clear, with vibrations often being clearly perceived. My energy level stays super high, and my concentration level is right up there with that energy. There's no slipping off into thought, I'm totally in the game.

Can anyone give me a solid reason why going back to using words as notes will be significantly better than this?
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 1/21/14 4:17 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/21/14 4:17 PM

RE: When does noting become choiceless awareness?

Andrew Young:
Sometimes though when things go well, it's more like a dim flash bulb, and I'm wondering where the line is between noting and choiceless awareness. If (what I call) my "note" is extremely subtle, then at what point have I crossed the line into choiceless awareness?
Umm, why does it matter? Lets say you pin it down exactly...then what do you do with this information? Pragmatic question.
Andrew Young:
When noticed the object feels impersonal/objective and crystal clear, with vibrations often being clearly perceived. My energy level stays super high, and my concentration level is right up there with that energy. There's no slipping off into thought, I'm totally in the game.

Can anyone give me a solid reason why going back to using words as notes will be significantly better than this?
Sounds like you are doing fine. Are you moving forward? Getting to your goal? If so, trust that you are doing it fine....and keep the noting in your back pocket for the days you need it.
Good Luck,
~D

Breadcrumb