Daily practice recommendations

vito Ginzburg, modified 10 Years ago at 2/3/14 5:10 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 2/3/14 3:20 AM

Daily practice recommendations

Hi,
I have been practising daily for a few months now.
Having been to 3 short weekend retreats mostly focused on mindfulness of breath and walking meditation.
My daily practice usually focuses on mindfulness of breath about 45 minutes sit.
Is it possible to practice insight and concentration if the resources I can allocate are 1 hour per day at max?

I wish to practice metta,insight and concentration .

Should I allocate time for each in a single sit? If so what are standard recommendation for time distribution ?

or focus each sit on a different practice ?

Thanks
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 2/3/14 7:02 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 2/3/14 7:02 PM

RE: Daily practice recommendations

vito Ginzburg:
Is it possible to practice insight and concentration if the resources I can allocate are 1 hour per day at max?
I wish to practice metta,insight and concentration .
Should I allocate time for each in a single sit? If so what are standard recommendation for time distribution ?
or focus each sit on a different practice ?

Read this about magick-and-the-brahma-viharas/
Daniel Ingram:

"As one repeats the phrases, one tries to connect to the fundamental feeling implied in the words. As the feeling of the Brahma Vihara grows, one turns that feeling into a samatha object, such that one takes that feeling and develops it directly, working with it, expanding it, gently coaxing it through any blockages or sticking points one finds, extending it through the body until it pervades the whole body, and finally takes the feeling far out into space.
In this way, one may take the first three Brahma Viharas to the Third Jhana, as they still contain a pleasant feeling of some sort, and the Fourth Brahma Vihara (Equanimity) to the Fourth Jhana and beyond, as Equanimity is the basis of the Formless Realms."

Here is what I do. I start with phases about happiness and feel it in my stomach area and grow it. I then move to loving kindness phrases and the focus moves to the heart chakra. I grow it and drop the phrases. This gets me to 2nd jhana (your milage may vary) I then drop the good feelings and bliss and focus on the arising vibrations and this gets me to third. I let go of the vibrations and focus on the space I see in the blackness of vision and gently note whatever comes up and this sometimes gets me to fourth.
I spend about 5 minutes or so at the beginning of every meditation on happiness and loving kindness. The rest of the 45 minutes is a mix of concentration and insite.
Try it and see what you think. Change it to what works for you. Experiment til you find what is optimal for where you are at and don't be afraid to change it again if it stops working for you. Hmmmm....I'm not saying jump around all the time...make a plan and stick with it for 10 sits or so....then change it based off of your experience and try 10 more sits..
Good Luck
~D
T Dan S-, modified 10 Years ago at 3/9/14 7:27 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/9/14 7:27 AM

RE: Daily practice recommendations

Answers to your questions:
Yes
Both are fine (one routine sit, or broken), but you have said nothing about your goals for practice. What are your goals?
This will answer the other "what time distribution" questions.

For example: If stream entry, look up "tarin's guide to stream entry", in addition to the relevant sections in MCTB to start.

Breadcrumb