Noting flickering phenomena

thumbnail
Andrew Mayer, modified 10 Years ago at 2/13/14 10:23 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 2/13/14 10:23 PM

Noting flickering phenomena

I've been working with noting, and one thing that seems to be happening is that at some point before the I'm at a place of attention where I can notice "flickering" sensations, they are happening too fast for me to note them in any meaningful way.

I still have awareness of those sensations, and can find awareness of the 3 characteristics within them. I'm also gaining deep insight into the arising and passing away, and how new phenomenon are born out of passing phenomena.

At this point, I'm working to note the more "gross" sensations as they arise, and then turning attention to those sensations to see if I can "break them up" into finer, more flickering phenomena. In other words, breaking them down until the become too fine for me to note effectively.

I'm finding that's far easier to do with sense objects than with thought objects, although I'm trying to note thought with some intensity as well.

I'd love to get some thoughts and direction on this, as I find myself wondering if there is something I'm missing in terms of noting at the "flickering" level.
thumbnail
Jason Snyder, modified 10 Years ago at 2/14/14 11:16 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 2/14/14 11:15 PM

RE: Noting flickering phenomena

I think noting is something to do if you are distracted, or you want to direct awareness into the gross sensations. If you are experience flickering/vibrations and are locked in, why note? By noting you are filtering bare awareness through a linguistic concept. Why do this unless absolutely necessary?

Breadcrumb