Knee pain can't practice well - need some motivation/guidance

George S Lteif, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 3:58 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 3:58 AM

Knee pain can't practice well - need some motivation/guidance

Hello,

Almost a year back I started having knee pain when sitting cross legged to meditate. Went to doctor and did all necessary tests, turns out that I have "condromalacia patella". Probably got that from extensive yoga exercises in the past. Tried physical therapy and some medications, long story short: an operation is the only solution but not an option at the moment.
I can no longer sit cross legged, nor do walking mediation, not even sit in a chair for long periods without moving.
Now I practice while sitting in a chair but experience pain during/after the sit.
Lying meditation doesn't seem very effective as I usually fall asleep.
I would really like to go on a retreat to advance my practice but been hesitant lately.
I feel stuck, as I can't push my practice forward.

Anyone with similar experiences?
How far can one progress with such conditions?
Would really appreciate some advice or helpful thoughts on how to practice.

Many thanks,
George
Jack Hatfield, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 8:34 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 8:34 AM

RE: Knee pain can't practice well - need some motivation/guidance

I had condromalacia patella aka runners knee and had the operation. This didn't help it any. The problem is that the patella isn't tracking right. The solution for me was lots of stretching. This might only apply to me but I think any doc or physical therapist will say stretching is good for this. One problem is finding a orthopedic doc who know anything beyond bones and surgery. I found a good physical therapist more knowledgable for this condition.

When meditating, try sitting in a chair with your legs straight.

I have bursitis in my shoulder now which produces a similar pain to what you have. I have done sitting meditation with this pain as the sole object of meditation. It had some but limited success. You might try it.

Good luck.

jack
thumbnail
sawfoot _, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 11:31 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 11:31 AM

Folding garden chair. Super comfortable and super cheap. Not ideal, in terms of having a straight unsupported back as in the ideal meditation posture, but less likely to fall asleep than lying on the ground, and beggars can't be choosers.
thumbnail
Bill F, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 12:45 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 12:45 PM

I know you said lying down you fall asleep. Do you lie with your legs straight? In tantric buddhism somatic practices are typically done lying on the back with knees bent and a yoga strap to hold the legs, hands folded across stomach. Also, sawfoot's super comfortable looking chair. If you are in overwhelming pain, any practice will be for nought. I would try to find a way that is a meeting place between what is comfortable and alert, WHATEVER, that might be.
thumbnail
Jane Laurel Carrington, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 2:11 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 2:11 PM

The IKEA Poang chair with footstool does it for me. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, and all sorts of aches and pains.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 4:22 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 4:22 PM

Any position you can find that is somewhat comfortable and supported however you need to be will work fine, as it is much more about the quality of your attention to what is happening than much about the postural specifics beyond just the fact of pain or falling asleep or whatever, so anything goes and do what you need to do.

As to not being able to sustain postures for long, even in movement, mindfulness is the same, the Three Characteristics are the same, the basics of reality are the same, so just be mindful during movement transitions as you would during walking or any other transitions and it shouldn't be a barrier to practice.
thumbnail
Jean B, modified 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 6:32 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/2/14 6:32 PM

My 2 cents... maybe a kneeling chair could do it for you :

Hope you'll find what fits! Let us know.
George S Lteif, modified 10 Years ago at 3/4/14 7:42 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/4/14 7:42 AM

Thank you all for the support. I am deeply grateful.

Breadcrumb