Question?

Adam Bieber, modified 13 Years ago at 5/24/10 5:39 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/24/10 4:37 PM

Question?

Hello everyone,

Looking over Daniel's book, a couple days ago i realized i was in "Mind and Body". I tried to sense everything around me as best as i could. Then i began meditating for several hours at a time.

Over this period, i felt i achieved many insights but i will describe the most important ones. Yesterday as i was sitting, i was observing a moving bug. The bugs movements started to flicker and i realized this was impermanence. Every movement seemed like a new frame. As i continued meditating, i felt the same thing with sounds and touch. Every sensation was a new one and they happened repeatedly. I really concentrated on this and after a while the frames were "flickering" extremely fast. It was as if every time i moved my eyes, it was another view. This is my journal post when i was still in this state after i had finished my meditation.

"What the fuck is going on. Everything looks like another scene. Each moment is a another scene. Everything is moving so fast. I feel sporatic. Sounds I hear instant by instant. Each thing I notice then I notice something else. Each thing I see then I see something else. It like each thing is another sound and each sight is another view. It is all different paintings I see one after another. Touch too. When I touch myself, I feel each sensation as it moves up and down my arm. This is not as intense as the seeing or hearing but it is no longer one sensation but rather a multitude of sensations."

This feeling began to fade with sometimes seeing the frames with less intensity and sometimes not at all. Next when i went to bed i began meditating again and the same thing happened. It was mostly sound and touch. Then something really strange happened. I became very nauseas to the point of throwing up. Stuff looked and felt impermenent and i was sensing my surroundings this way but i was extremely nauseas. Today when i started meditating, the same thing happened and the more i felt one sensation after another with this nausea the more nauseas i became. It got extremely intense but then it faded and i was split into two feelings. One of pressure and one of bliss. I was mindful with the one of bliss and it felt amazing as a smile slowly and naturally came across my face. This lasted about 15 seconds and i was back to feeling pressure (not bad though) in my head. Now whenever i become increasingly mindful i feel an undercurrent of nausea and sometimes it intensifies. I would really appreciate it if someone can give me their opinion to whats happening as i haven't had much meditation practice?

One other important thing to note. Sometimes when i am meditating, i feel as if my body blends in with the space around me. its as if my body is stretching to meet the space around me and i am part of the space. It is not really the body but my "consciousness". Also, i often feel when meditating that sensations are out of my control and appear no matter what. I am more and more just sitting back and letting them occur. I think this is egolessness.

Also, when i stop meditating most things definitely decrease in intensity.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 6/12/10 6:54 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 6/12/10 6:54 PM

RE: Question?

Sorry for the belated reply. I have been working a lot.

All early insight stage stuff, sounds like. Tingling, smiles rapid stuff: probably early 2nd vipassana jhana.

Nausea, discomfort: probably late 1st (3 characteristics).

Body distortion stuff: mid 1st vipassana jhana.

Anyway, just keep going: there is lots more where all that came from. The strange stuff comes and goes. At some point one sort of gets used to it, or most of it, anyway.

Daniel