Body Temperature

thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 3/29/14 5:04 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/29/14 5:04 AM

Body Temperature

I've been wondering about this for a while but never asked. Has anybody else experienced changes in subjective and/or objective body temperature. For most of my life (before insight) I was always too hot and I liked open windows and so on, but since I got stream entry it's completely reversed. I frequently get chilled with the slightest draft, and I need to constantly wear warm sweaters inside. Objectively my body temperature is usually between 96-97 degrees F, which is a little low. I've taken my temperature at various times through the day, and it's always a degree or two cold. As far as I know, before stream entry, it was closer to average (98.6). I've had this checked out at the doctor and nothing shows up as abnormal medically.

I'm writing because lately (in the last few weeks) I've started getting the opposite effect (at least subjectively). I'll get incredibly hot while I'm meditating. I know this may be kundalini related, but I don't really understand what it means for my practice. The strange thing is that I just took my temperature after a lot of intense heat sensations and profuse sweating, and it's actually 96, so below average. I guess this makes sense since you often feel cold when you have a higher temperature. But, I usually feel cold with a low temperature.

I guess one possibility is that I just have a lower temperature all the time, and sometimes I feel hot and sometimes I feel cold. I suppose temperature is like any other sensory modality that starts to become less glued to habitual patterns as insight dissolves those patterns.

I'm looking for any kind of shared experience and or practical wisdom about the significance of hot and cold sensations in practice and their relation if any to physical body. Most importantly, would be if there is anything to be concerned about physically in terms of dropping body temperature too low. On that score, I always make sure to dress warmly before long meditation sessions to keep my temperature up, but this gets awkward when I start to feel so hot. Yet, I'm afraid to strip down because my objective body temperature is low and I don't want it to go sub-normal. Any thoughts on this dilemma?
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 10 Years ago at 3/29/14 5:54 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/29/14 5:54 AM

RE: Body Temperature

My body become hot and sweaty sometimes in re-observation or when I hit the re-observation-like spot/door in equanimity. I tend to also have body movement and difficulties to sleep when it happens. This link document it for re-observation:

http://www.vipassanadhura.com/sixteen.html#tena
thumbnail
Dada Kind, modified 10 Years ago at 3/29/14 11:25 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/29/14 11:25 AM

22:08
http://vimeo.com/69793499

And, my body seemingly gets hot around the A&P. I've yet to determine if it's an objective increase.
thumbnail
Dai Orion Gold, modified 9 Years ago at 6/9/14 2:56 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/9/14 2:56 PM

Yes I've always been "cold resistant", liked having a draft, wore t-shirt and shorts in the dead of winter etc without feeling too cold (I still needed protection from long-term exposure, but hopping between buildings in a blizzard was fine). Ever since A&P (I don't think I ever got stream entry) I've been much more sensitive to cold, and my body temperature seems less stable, jumping between 97.5-99.4, depending on my mental state, but never in fever territory... very strange

Breadcrumb