Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa

Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Chris G 4/3/14 9:21 PM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa John M. 4/4/14 1:06 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Cain Velasquez 4/5/14 5:30 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Bruno Loff 4/5/14 7:52 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Richard Zen 4/5/14 10:27 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa katy steger,thru11.6.15 with thanks 4/6/14 6:17 PM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Ian And 4/7/14 12:16 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa old dried leaf 4/8/14 5:23 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa C P M 4/8/14 7:19 PM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa old dried leaf 4/9/14 5:06 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Chris G 4/9/14 6:17 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa old dried leaf 4/9/14 7:14 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Rob Njosnavelin 4/9/14 7:10 PM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa C P M 4/20/14 10:11 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Chris G 4/20/14 6:43 PM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Andrew Mayer 5/14/14 12:14 PM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa No-Second-Arrow Z 5/16/14 3:39 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Andrew Mayer 5/16/14 10:20 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Andrew K 9/1/15 1:24 PM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Ritesh Kumar 4/24/16 8:22 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa Stirling Campbell 4/24/16 10:24 AM
RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa C P M 6/26/16 6:08 PM
thumbnail
Chris G, modified 9 Years ago at 4/3/14 9:21 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/3/14 9:15 PM

Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa

Hello DhO,

Upasaka Culadasa is a meditation teacher and former neuroscience professor who has who has done some wonderful writing on meditation practice, especially concentration practice. In particular, he has an excellent series of notes on concentration practice based on the 9 stages of meditation of Master Kamalashila. Personally, I find that they're by far the most precise, detailed, and clear treatment of basic meditation practice that I've read.

I've obtained permission to redistribute some of his writings which are not otherwise easily accessible on the Internet. I'm attaching a number of PDFs to this message which were obtained from from files and messages uploaded to the jhana_insight Yahoo group on which he participates, and from other sources.

I've attached the following as a .zip file (Culadasa.zip)

LightOnMeditationHandout.pdf: An overview of the stages of concentration practice (also available at www.dharmatreasure.com, but reproduced here for convenience)

Plain English - Introduction.pdf, Plain English - Part I.pdf, Plain English - Part II.pdf, Plain English - Part III.pdf: These four PDFs provide a much more detailed treatment of stages 1-6 from LightOnMeditationHandout.pdf, including very precise meditation instructions both for sitting and walking meditation.

Ekaggata.pdf: A discussion of the Pali term Ekaggata, often translated as "single-pointedness" or "unification of mind". From a series of posts to the jhana_insight group in Dec. 2009.

Jhanas.pdf: A discussion of the Jhanas

Meditation and Joy Handout.pdf: A discussion of joy and happiness in meditation. Also includes a comparison between flow (from psychology) and meditative experiences.

Positive Reinforcement.pdf: A note on positive reinforcement in mental training, posted to jhana_insight in Dec. 2009.

I hope people will find these useful. I may add more material later if I find anything.
John M, modified 9 Years ago at 4/4/14 1:06 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/4/14 1:06 AM

RE: Attention and Awareness: Some writings from Upasaka Culadasa

Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time and initiative to compile this. I like his style a great deal. Very helpful!
Cain Velasquez, modified 9 Years ago at 4/5/14 5:30 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/5/14 5:30 AM

Thank you, Chris. These instructions are amazing!
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 9 Years ago at 4/5/14 7:52 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/5/14 7:52 AM

Thank you very much emoticon
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 9 Years ago at 4/5/14 10:27 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/5/14 10:27 AM

Thanks!
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 9 Years ago at 4/6/14 6:17 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/6/14 6:14 PM

Hi all

John Yates (Culadasa) has been sick for some time now, at least as of an email update I just received. If you have a metta*** practice it can be a great way to extend gratitude for his presentation of Kamalashila's meditation techniques, for example.

*** Ven. Balangoda Ananda Maitreya's guided metta practice and talk
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 9 Years ago at 4/7/14 12:16 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/7/14 12:16 AM

katy steger:

John Yates (Culadasa) has been sick for some time now, at least as of an email update I just received.

Is that so, Katy? Have any further information about this? If necessary, PM me.

I'm acquainted with John, but haven't kept up with him since 2005-6, other than to have come across his website http://dharmatreasure.com/.
thumbnail
old dried leaf, modified 9 Years ago at 4/8/14 5:23 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/8/14 5:23 AM

After reading the first page of LightOnMeditationHandout, I was very excited to continue reading. Thank you for sharing, Chris.
C P M, modified 9 Years ago at 4/8/14 7:19 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/8/14 7:19 PM

I've been reading the docs, good stuff. I'd be interested in seeing the full version of this talk he may be giving.
Here Comes the Sun: Achieving Awakening Without the Dark Night
thumbnail
old dried leaf, modified 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 5:06 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 5:06 AM

In the document "light on meditation", page four mentions "full-minded awareness is developed, and the attention is more easily sustained on the meditation object for longer periods of time."

Can anyone expand on the meaning of full-minded awareness?
thumbnail
Chris G, modified 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 6:17 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 6:17 AM

old dried leaf:
In the document "light on meditation", page four mentions "full-minded awareness is developed, and the attention is more easily sustained on the meditation object for longer periods of time."

Can anyone expand on the meaning of full-minded awareness?

He explains it in detail on P. 6 of "Plain English - Introduction.pdf". I can't give you a better description than his, so I'll just point you there.
thumbnail
old dried leaf, modified 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 7:14 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 7:14 AM

thanks emoticon
Rob Njosnavelin, modified 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 7:10 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/9/14 7:10 PM

Great stuff, thanks Chris, I've been immersing myself in Culadasa's writings and audio for the last couple of weeks, very clarifying in an unexpected sort of way.
Sorry to hear he is sick katy - will for sure include him in my metta practice.
C P M, modified 9 Years ago at 4/20/14 10:11 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/20/14 10:11 AM

Hi Chris

In "Plain English - Part III.pdf", the author says, "The cultivation of Adept Concentration in stages 7 through 10 will be the subject of Part IV.". Do you know if part 4 exists? I can't find it searching the net.

Thanks
C P M
thumbnail
Chris G, modified 9 Years ago at 4/20/14 6:43 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 4/20/14 6:43 PM

Hi C P M,

No, part IV was never finished, unfortunately. However, Culadasa has a book which is supposed to be published soon which should contain that material, so you can keep an eye out for that if interested.

Chris
thumbnail
Andrew Mayer, modified 9 Years ago at 5/14/14 12:14 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/14/14 12:14 PM

It looks like the upgrade swallowed the attached zip file.

Is there any chance that the file could be reposted, or someone could provide a link? I'd be very grateful.

The "Light on Meditation Handout" alone really had a profound effect on my practice over the last few days, and I'm eager to read more.
thumbnail
No-Second-Arrow Z, modified 9 Years ago at 5/16/14 3:39 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/16/14 3:39 AM

Hi, hope this is what you were looking for?
thumbnail
Andrew Mayer, modified 9 Years ago at 5/16/14 10:20 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/16/14 10:20 AM

This was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
thumbnail
Andrew K, modified 8 Years ago at 9/1/15 1:24 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 9/1/15 10:31 AM

These writings are really interesting. I don't quite understand how they relate to vipasana and paths though, I read through Light on Meditation and skimmed the others and couldn't find any information about how this relates to nirvana, paths, awakening, etc, if I understand it right he is saying this is a foundation. Is reaching this 10th stage a necessary pre-requisite? Anyone got any perspective on that?

In Light on Meditation, after describing the 10th and final stage, he says
Unfortunately, this meditator is not yet permanently free from the
mental afflictions of desire and ill-will and the suffering they engender.
They are only held temporarily in abeyance by the fruits of this
practice. Any prolonged interruption in practice, and the inevitable
effects of time on the body and circumstances on the mind, will
demonstrate that they are still subject to suffering and the causes of
suffering. Fortunately though, this meditator is also now in the ideal
mental condition to quickly achieve the most profound insights into the
true nature of their personal reality, and so may achieve a liberation
that
is not subject to passing.
What is most important here is that this ‘unsurpassable mind’ with its
qualities of concentration, mindful awareness, joy, tranquility and

equanimity is a mind at the threshold of, and therefore has immediate
access to, two other most unique and important mental states – the
meditative absorptions, known as
Jhanas; and the liberating experience
of Ultimate Reality, known as 
Nibbana

Here's a link to his upcoming book for those interested. The introduction is readable in the "look inside" feature.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mind-Illuminated-Meditation-Integrating/dp/0990847705

There is some pretty big praise from a bunch of big names. Daniel Ingram's quote is pretty awesome:

“Essential reading for anyone interested in meditative development from any tradition. At once comprehensive and also very easy to read and follow in practice, this is the most thorough, straightforward, clear, and practical guide to training the mind that I have ever found. A remarkable achievement.”  —Daniel Ingram, M.D., author, Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha

Ritesh Kumar, modified 7 Years ago at 4/24/16 8:22 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/24/16 8:22 AM

Hi,

I am unable to find the attachments. Can you please guide me in downloading the files.

Regards 
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 7 Years ago at 4/24/16 10:24 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/24/16 10:24 AM

Scroll up - they are relinked above. Just got them myself. emoticon
C P M, modified 7 Years ago at 6/26/16 6:08 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/26/16 6:03 PM

The link for the zip file above is broken, so attaching it again. (edit: but can't get it to work).

Breadcrumb