Starting Late in Life?

Steve Guy Curless, modified 13 Years ago at 5/27/10 4:13 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/27/10 4:09 PM

Starting Late in Life?

From reading Daniel Ingram and others, I gather that it generally takes decades of rigorous practice to make significant progress along the Buddhist path. So I'm wondering if there's any point to someone taking up this path in his late 50's when chances are he won't have decades to pursue it.

Maybe this issue has already been addressed elsewhere in this forum or in Daniel's writings, but I guess I'm looking for encouraging reason to go even so far as to read through these forum discussions and Daniel's book and other writings, much less undertake a disciplined practice. For without such reassurance, why bother?

Yes, I realize that there's no ultimate assurance of enlightenment or arhathood for anyone of any age. Anyone who takes up the path could fail no matter how long or hard he tries, or prematurely die before he has a chance to succeed. But, according to the actuarial tables, at least the younger man or woman has a good chance of living long enough to, with devoted and skillful practice, climb the mountain. But what about the 57-year-old? How old is too old to make the attempt?
Trent , modified 13 Years ago at 5/27/10 4:53 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/27/10 4:53 PM

RE: Starting Late in Life?

Steve Guy Curless:
How old is too old to make the attempt?

One is never too old to find out what life is about in this way. It is an inaccuracy of the masses which implies or openly says that permanent attainments must take a long time to actualize. There are a great many other silly dogmatic hindrances of the sort lying (or being thrown about) all around. I encourage you to think for yourself, rather than trusting or believing others (which I take to be implied here). If you genuinely want something done or discovered regarding these matters, you will find not a single road block... There never were any to begin with, in spite of what people may say.

Best,
Trent
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 13 Years ago at 5/27/10 5:05 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/27/10 5:05 PM

That is just utter BS. Many yogis have made unbelievably fast progress in short amount of times (a year, couple of years) from starting meditating for the first time to stream entry and beyond. Go for it!
thumbnail
Dan Bartlett, modified 13 Years ago at 5/27/10 5:17 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/27/10 5:17 PM

From what I've gathered from my own experience and those of my friends, people are "getting it" faster than ever. I put this mainly down to:

- People simply coming out and saying "enlightenment is real, and anyone can do it. It happened to me, it can happen to you." The effects of this on others is incalculable. Having faith in the integrity of others who had done it was a huge motivation for me. With that in place, there was nothing that would get in the way.
- A modern, pragmatic, dogma-free View, based in direct sensory experience, and paying attention to that experience without getting lost in the content. Simple, empowering and it works!

It's never too late to start such an adventure!
Judy Tart, modified 13 Years ago at 6/8/10 9:19 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 6/8/10 9:19 AM

Hi Steve,

I'm a lot older than you - I'm 70 - and I'm not just starting out. But, since I've had lots of detours and misunderstandings along the way, I feel like I AM just starting out - I asked the same question of my very wonderful Vipassana teacher, Shinzen Young, the other day - "Maybe I should just coast along with where I am at this point in my life instead of working more seriously" - and he very emphatically told me that wasn't the case, and that being older could actually be an advantage, because I'm not so caught up in lots of stuff that younger people struggle with.

You should definitely go for it!

Judy
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 13 Years ago at 6/9/10 1:57 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 6/9/10 1:57 AM

Steve Guy Curless:
From reading Daniel Ingram and others, I gather that it generally takes decades of rigorous practice to make significant progress along the Buddhist path. So I'm wondering if there's any point to someone taking up this path in his late 50's when chances are he won't have decades to pursue it.

As others here have stated, most definitely there is a point in taking up this path at whatever age one encounters it. As Judy so aptly described it, age can be a definite positive on the path. It doesn't need to take decades to complete the training. One can accomplish it in 3 to 5 years if he is diligent and determined enough.

What could also be recommended is, aside from reading Daniel's book, would be to also read the discourses of the Buddha in translation. That can be done by physical book as well as online (although I would recommend the Wisdom Publication edition of the discourses as being the best presentation because of the wealth of knowledge stored away in the footnotes of those editions; shop at amazon.com to get the best prices on these).

As well, there are several modern monastic writers and essayists who have written clearly and cogently on these subjects which one may definitely benefit from. A few of the names to look into include: Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Bhikkhu Nanananda, Ajahn Chah, Nyanaponika Thera, and Bhante Gunaratana, just to name a few. You can do a Google search and find many of their works online. Most of Thanissaro's writings can be had directly from the Internet at accesstoinsight.org. The books he has written, along with his essays, would be a perfect adjunct to accompany Daniel's book. Thanissaro uses the discourses to help explain the teaching in his books (meaning you are seeing quotations taken from the Buddha) while his essays delve into a more personal instruction regarding the practice.
Pavel _, modified 13 Years ago at 6/9/10 7:53 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 6/9/10 7:53 PM

I will be repeating what others have said before me, but yes, in my opinion there is a point to starting anytime/late in life.

First, there are advantages to doing insight however far you may happen to get. You will find these out very quickly and they will keep on coming (despite the Dark Night).

Second, it doesnt take long - I know of two people who attained to arahatship in 4 years and two people who managed to get 3rd path in less than two years. There must be many more around this and other forums, even if they may not be so forthcoming with their attainments. I dont know why it takes other people longer but I suspect that if others can do it quickly, so can you.

Third, if your curiosity took you this far (ie. here, presumably reading MCTB, thinking about going for it) then you might as well see what's behind the corner.

All the best and have fun.

Breadcrumb