Enlightenment in art [Trial And Error] [MIGRATE]Enlightenment in art [Trial

Migration 62 Daemon, modified 9 Years ago at 5/7/14 4:40 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/7/14 4:40 AM

Enlightenment in art [Trial And Error] [MIGRATE]Enlightenment in art [Trial

Enlightenment in art [Trial And Error]

Trial And Error - 2014-05-02 06:28:12 - Enlightenment in art

I'm a strong believer in art as a conveyor of experiences. I would love to hear people's input regarding any of the following points.

- In general I'm interested in hearing about any work of art that has enlightenment or the path to enlightenment as its subject. (I don't really want to define enlightenment, but if I must I'll say as described by Buddha)

- I'm especially looking for novels or movies that deal with it. (I've read Hesse's Siddhartha)

- I'm also interested in finding out about any artists (directors, writers, painters, sculptors etc.) who have some level of attainment, or are on the path to enlightenment. Their work doesn't have to be directly related to it.

If you have your own art that you would like to share I'd be interested as well.

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-05-02 23:17:26 - RE: Enlightenment in art

This probably isn't exactly what you a looking for, but interesting , and enlightening if one contemplates upon the images.

The first is "The Creation of Adam" by Michelangelo

The second image is the human brain.  

If you outline the shroud that God is in and the Human Brain, it is basically the same.  

Michelangelo did study anatomy on human corpses.

Also, I believe the curly golden haired angel below god is Lucifer, which seems to line up with the Pons area of the Brain, 
From wiki:
The pons contains nuclei that relay signals from the forebrain to the cerebellum, along with nuclei that deal primarily with sleep, respiration, swallowing, bladder control, hearing, equilibrium, taste, eye movement, facial expressions, facial sensation, and posture.[3]

Within the pons is the pneumotaxic center, a nucleus that regulates the change from inhalation to exhalation.[3]

The pons is implicated in sleep paralysis, and also plays a role in generating dreams.[citation needed]

So, the Mind of God, God in the Mind, funny to paint this not in the Church but ON the church??...

Peace

-------------------

Jeff Grove - 2014-05-02 23:30:42 - RE: Enlightenment in art

http://www.acircleisdrawn.org/index.php/heart-essence/ 

I enjoyed their books as well. They will give an insight into dzogchen practices 
Enjoy

Jeff

-------------------

William Golden Finch - 2014-05-03 00:28:19 - RE: Enlightenment in art

T.S Eliot's "Four Quartets". That is all.

-------------------

Jeff Grove - 2014-05-03 00:32:57 - RE: Enlightenment in art

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring,_Summer,_Fall,_Winter..._and_Spring 

This was a great  movie

-------------------

Vasily Andreev - 2014-05-03 19:27:09 - RE: Enlightenment in art

William Golden Finch:
T.S Eliot's "Four Quartets". That is all.

100% this. The Wasteland to me seems to be part of the path to enlightenment and the Four Quartets helps answer what it actually is: 
At the still point of the turning world. Neither flesh nor fleshless;
Neither from nor towards; at the still point, there the dance is,
But neither arrest nor movement. And do not call it fixity,
Where past and future are gathered. Neither movement from nor towards,
Neither ascent nor decline. Except for the point, the still point,
There would be no dance, and there is only the dance.
I can only say, there we have been: but I cannot say where.
And I cannot say, how long, for that is to place it in time.

Fruition, anyone?

William: Can you say a bit more about your thoughts on enlightenment and Four Quartets?

-------------------

Florian Weps - 2014-05-05 11:43:48 - RE: Enlightenment in art

Hi Trial and Error

Novels: "Momo" by Michael Ende, for a beautiful pointer to the present.

"The Neverending Story" by the same, for a scenic view of the path. The movie version is completely butchered and useless for what you are looking for.

Movies: "Rocknrolla" for tales from the path. The Cigarette Packet Sutra contained in it is very memorable. It's also a fun gangster movie in its own right.

Cheers,
Florian

-------------------

Eric M W - 2014-05-06 00:42:14 - RE: Enlightenment in art

Carl Jung wrote a lot about mandalas and how they relate to spiritual development and individuation.  He found that mandalas are found in every culture in the world, even ancient shamanic ones, and many of his patients saw mandalas in dreams and spontaneously drew them even when they did not know what a mandala was.

I'm not sure exactly what his level of attainment was or any specific works regarding mandalas, but I feel it was worth pointing out anyway.  You should definitely check out Jung's stuff.

-------------------

Tom Tom - 2014-05-06 06:16:07 - RE: Enlightenment in art

This probably isn't exactly what you a looking for, but interesting , and enlightening if one contemplates upon the images.

The first is "The Creation of Adam" by Michelangelo

The second image is the human brain.

This thing makes me dizzy: http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html?

-------------------

Tom Tom - 2014-05-06 07:37:52 - RE: Enlightenment in art

There are more depictions of the brain in the chapel paintings.  In the painting for "The Separation of Light from Darkness" there is an anatomically correct depiction of a brainstem in God's neck.  See http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127990450

-------------------

Trial And Error - 2014-05-07 04:36:04 - RE: Enlightenment in art

Thank you all for the suggestions.

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-05-07 04:52:34 - RE: Enlightenment in art

Fantastic Planet (French: La PlanËte sauvage, lit. The Wild Planet) 

Alex Grey

Breadcrumb