Cycling up and down the nanas [John Power] [MIGRATE]

Migration 62 Daemon, modified 9 Years ago at 5/7/14 4:55 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/7/14 4:55 AM

Cycling up and down the nanas [John Power] [MIGRATE]

Cycling up and down the nanas [John Power]

John Power - 2014-04-29 09:38:20 - Cycling up and down the nanas

I posted this topic at the 'books and websites' section, but it also belongs here.

The first post

I have a question about the following statement in the MCTB:

Once someone has crossed the Arising and Passing Event, one will
enter the Dark Night regardless of whether one wants to or not. It
doesnít matter if you practice from this point on; once you cross the
A&P you are in the Dark Night to some degree (i.e. are a Dark Night
Yogi) until you figure out how to get through it, and if you do get
through it without getting to the first stage of enlightenment, you will
have to go through it again and again until you do. I mean this in the
most absolute terms.

So ones crossed A&P you enter the DN, even if you stop practising. When don't get the first stage of enlightenment you fall back.But how can it be that some fall back to stages below A&P? 

For example: 1,5 years ago: crossed A&P on retreat went through DN, then after retreat stopped practising so much then few months later practising more again, experienced DN (fear, misery, disgust) again for at least 6 month (heavy period). Then few months later (apparantly felt back) crossed A&P (could be EQ?) again, few months later I think I was in Dissolution (or RE-O). A month ago crossed A&P and am now still in Dissolution. I have only read MCTB a month ago so it is hard to analyse and diagnose those experiences I had in the past.

Another statement:
Dissolution feels like a very natural place to stop practicing, the only problem being that the
later stages (Fear and the rest) tend to follow it soon enough even if one stops, though less intense practice leads to a less intense, if often prolonged, Dark Night.

I would appreciate if someone can help me with these questions. Thanks in advance.

The link to the original topic in section 'books and websites': http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/5461819

-------------------

tom moylan - 2014-04-29 11:21:04 - RE: Cycling up and down the nanas

So ones crossed A&P you enter the DN, even if you stop practising. When don't get the first stage of enlightenment you fall back.But how can it be that some fall back to stages below A&P?

This is pretty clear.  Until one has stream entry your meditation does not "start" at the A&P, after that milestone is reached, it does.

The logical corrolary is that ones pre-SE sits start pre-A&P.  Think about it. If you stop meditating completely for an extended period of time you will lose touch with those qualities of mind you have developed.  Some might stick and be more easily reached at a later time but they are not permanently written into your brainware yet.

tom
thumbnail
Jenny, modified 9 Years ago at 8/2/14 1:03 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/2/14 1:03 AM

RE: Cycling up and down the nanas [John Power] [MIGRATE]

Yeah. I really don't understand from MCTB how pre/post-path cycling/regressing differs. I have not attained stream entry, but it is super clear to me that my meditations start precisely at the A&P, certainly not at Mind & Body.

Breadcrumb