Musings and... [Psi Phi] [MIGRATE]

Migration 62 Daemon, modified 9 Years ago at 5/7/14 5:00 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/7/14 5:00 AM

Musings and... [Psi Phi] [MIGRATE]

Musings and... [Psi Phi]

Psi Phi - 2014-04-28 04:50:51 - Musings and...

The Journey

by Mary Oliver

One day you finally knew
 what you had to do, and began,
 though the voices around you
 kept shouting
 their bad adviceó
though the whole house
 began to tremble
 and you felt the old tug
 at your ankles.
 "Mend my life!"
 each voice cried.
 But you didn't stop.
 You knew what you had to do,
 though the wind pried
 with its stiff fingers
 at the very foundations,
 though their melancholy
 was terrible.
 It was already late
 enough, and a wild night,
 and the road full of fallen
 branches and stones.
 But little by little,
 as you left their voices behind,
 the stars began to burn
 through the sheets of clouds,
 and there was a new voice
 which you slowly
 recognized as your own,
 that kept you company
 as you strode deeper and deeper
 into the world,
 determined to do
 the only thing you could doó
determined to save
 the only life you could save.

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-04-28 05:17:30 - RE: Musings and...

Practice Point:

To develop Equanimity towards ALL formations, continuously and all day during all moments and situations.

Insights:

From Daniel's Chapter on No-Self

The big, practical trick to understanding egolessness is to tune into the fact that sensations arise on their own in a natural causal fashion, even the intentions to do things.

This really, hit me, and it's observable, the intentions do arise on their own.  And this is why it is vitally important to maintain a wholesome "cleaning" of the mind daily through meditation, right effort, morals/ethics.  Because:

Intentions have to arise from somewhere and they arise from the content of the mind, so, the more wholesome one has trained the mind the more wholesome the intentions that will arise.  i.e.

"The seeds of today are the harvest of tomorrow. "

Peace 

Bryan

-------------------

tom moylan - 2014-04-28 07:59:47 - RE: Musings and...

Hey,
good and timely reminders for me, thanks for the poem and the thoughts.
tom

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-04-28 20:44:23 - RE: Musings and...

Thanks Tom, It is good to hear wholesome comments.
 bryan

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-04-28 20:55:34 - RE: Musings and...

"A human being is part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. They experience themselves, their thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his/her consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." Albert Einstein

-------------------

Robin Woods - 2014-04-28 23:27:22 - RE: Musings and...

I was just about to post a question about this very topic and then the answer appeared (again!) in the first post I read. 

Intentions, like thoughts, really do just arise by themselves don't they? Is that right!? You never step outside reality (the Tao?) and then consciously decide to do a or b. It seems a ridiculously banal example, but you never decide to start 'fidgeting' in life right - right? The 'fidgeting' just happens by itself - without any input from the 'ego'. 

The Einstein quote suddenly makes sense to me for the first time...

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-04-29 00:00:21 - RE: Musings and...

Yes, intentions do arise like thoughts, actually they are thought, even stranger still.  And, if asked about this earlier , sometime in the near past, I would have probably stated quite succinctly that I create my own intentions.  But recently, working at diminishing greed, I have really noticed my intentions, arise from sensations and memories.  Right now I am not buying anything other than neccesities until June, 6, (just a point in time really) .  But, anyway, my greed has been mostly to buy books on Amazon, or maybe a movie/dvd, music, whatever.  So, I would notice the intention to buy , for example Elysium, why?  Due to sight sensation, (saw the preview), knew Family Video, would have it on Blu Ray for $7.99, ( such a deal), went to Family Video, didn't buy movie, but by seeing it, and other movies, more sight sensations, more clinging,  So anyway (intention ) arises, I go back , buy movie, one would expect satisfaction,  ...right?  Nope, and be damned if another craving for something else slips into to newly created craving vaccuum, Say, I've always wanted a copy of Cool Hand Luke.... "Nobody can eat 50 boiled eggs".  

Anyway, whenever ANY cravings or clinging remnants arise , my job til June 6 is to be on guard and be aware, and immeditely use the Right Effort formula, and re-establish Brahma Viharas, during all conscious moments.  Like Gandalf on the bridge with the Balrog, "Greed cravings, thou shalt not pass!"

I know this method of purification works, why? Because I did it with Anger, and anger just really does not arise anymore,  a little irritation, sure, but easily dismissed, and most automatcally, just a new mental habit.  And this is from a guy who used to have anger swell up and rage through my system like a molten volcano.  I mean don't try the simile of the saw out on me or nuthin'

Thanks for listening,

Bryan

Oh yeah, the Synchronicity thing you mentioned, can't explain it,  but if I had a dime for every time it happened....

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-04-30 19:56:38 - RE: Musings and...

Joy, One of the Factors of liberation (enlightenment), aka (piti) happiness.  So, why is this important, where does it come from.  In the normal view of things, when one experiences joy and happiness in daily living, they usually attribute joy arising because of an occurrence or an event.  
For example, 
When one buys some new clothes they may experience joy.
Going on a date.
Getting a puppy.
Watching a sunset, listening to music.
Surely there are many more examples, but thatís not the point.
So what is this joy?  Joy is a sensation that arises from within.
One can train themselves to arouse joy.
When one trains themselves to arouse joy from within, they will find that it is the same joy sensation experienced as what occurs when triggered by external occurrences.
So joy is joy, and there really is no joy produced externally, joy is a  sensation that comes from within.
Furthermore,  joy doesnít have to be a Snoopy dance or rapture or anything out of the ordinary, it can also be as simple as a slight smile and a feeling of contentment.

So one can wean themselves from the dependence upon the world, by developing Joy as a factor of enlightenment.
My view used to be that the Factors of Enlightenment would happen to me, but now it is seen that they are factors to be developed, cultivated,  and trained, same as one might learn to play the piano, one learns to play the human formation (mind/body/nervous system/ glandular excretions. Etc.) 

ìYour success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.î
 Helen Keller

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires."
 ñ Epicurus

Bryan

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-05-03 00:01:11 - RE: Musings and...

Finally, had a day off, was able to meditate a fair amount today, was able to reflect on some of the wrong things I have posted, but one has to recognize errors, drop the blame, and change.  I had posted something about meditating only 30 minutes a day and how people might expect to become enlightened by just that effort.  Well, my first commitment was 10 minutes daily no matter what for 30 days in a row, that has turned into 1-2 plus hours a day, and also expanded into my daily living.  And admittedly I have a ways to go on the path.  Anyway I don't want to be a detriment to someone practicing, but encourage everyone to practice.  (regardless of what any "scientific" studies say) After all the only study that counts is the one we do upon ourselves. 

Today has been a nice day spent on and off  with my ole buddy, Dukkha.  This little snippet helped:

From Mahasi Sayadaw

The Three Feelings in Vipassana

The main object of Vipassana practice is to seek and cultivate the equanimity that is bound up with "equanimity about formations" (sankharupekkha)  insight. To this end we should avoid sensuous joy and seek wholesome joy in good deeds and contemplation. Likewise we should welcome wholesome sorrow stemming from frustration on the holy path and avoid unwholesome sorrow. In the same way we should avoid unwholesome equanimity of the sensual world and seek wholesome equanimity of the holy path.

We should concentrate on wholesome joy, wholesome sorrow, and wholesome equanimity. For the cultivation of these wholesome states of consciousness means the elimination of their negative, unwholesome counterparts.

We should also eliminate wholesome sorrow through wholesome joy. This means that if we are depressed because of the failure to make much progress on the holy path, we must overcome the depression by exerting effort for Vipassana-insight. Likewise, wholesome joy must be rejected through wholesome equanimity.

Thus "equanimity about formations" (sankharupekkha) insight with joy or with equanimity is only a step removed from the holy path and fruition.

ó Discourse on the SakkapaÒha Sutta

Metta

-------------------

Psi Phi - 2014-05-05 23:26:02 - RE: Musings and...

Mothman

Watching the Moths seemingly attracted to the porch light.  The moth ceaselessly, incessantly, flies towards the light, smacks against the glass pane, rebounds, flies towards the light, smacks against the glass pane, rebounds, , over and over, mindlessly.

Playing out the same repetitive response to the same stimuli, stuck in its pattern, it's own little samsara.

So, too, most of humanity, goes through the daily routines, playing out the same repetitive response to the same stimuli, stuck in personal behavior  patterns, to each it's own little samsara(s).

Only with awareness, a pause in the action, a little mindfulness moment to reflect and stop, before reacting to each and every stimuli presented before the mind can one make any conscious changes.  To break the cycle, the chain reaction of habitual behaviors, then produce a new and improved chain of events, a positive habitual tendency.

Takes time and patience, cutting, weeding, uprooting, the unwholesome, Then planting , nurturing, cultivating the wholesome.
 Or one can  continually fly towards the light banging their (my) head on the glass pane...

Bryan 

From Nyanaponika Thera:

The more clearly and deeply our minds and hearts respond to the truth of suffering manifest in the very common facts of our existence, the less often shall we need a repetition of the lesson and the shorter will be our migration through samsara. The clarity of perception evoking our response will come from an undeflected directness of vision, bestowed by bare attention (sati); and the depth of experience will come from wise reflection or clear comprehension (sampajaÒÒa).

"The Power of Mindfulness: An Inquiry into the Scope of Bare Attention and the Principal Sources of its Strength", by Nyanaponika Thera. Access to Insight (Legacy Edition), 30 November 2013, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel121.html .
thumbnail
Psi, modified 9 Years ago at 9/22/14 11:37 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/22/14 11:37 PM

RE: Musings and... [Psi Phi] [MIGRATE]

“There will always be rocks in the road ahead of us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones; it all depends on how you use them.” 
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Breadcrumb