Retreat Routines: Ideas/Suggestions?

Julian, modified 9 Years ago at 5/29/14 9:58 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/29/14 9:58 AM

Retreat Routines: Ideas/Suggestions?

I'm planning to do my second retreat in about a month. It's a 9 day retreat. My best guess is that I am currently in Equanimity.I would like some perspective on things to do while on retreat to help make progress along the path. My practice is primarily KF noting and will try to note during all waking hours.

Does anyone have experience in taking written notes on meditation periods to help identify patterns/stages after the fact? Any suggestions around doing longer sittings outside of the meditation hall, say in my room, or outside in a quiet spot in order to gain some momentum? Any suggestions for dealing with body pain/aches? Last retreat I tried to do some yoga in the breaks, but found that it was making my dizzy. Not going there again.

Any other ideas that might be helpful in terms of schedule, food, etc.?
thumbnail
Drew Miller, modified 9 Years ago at 5/30/14 7:34 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/30/14 7:31 PM

RE: Retreat Routines: Ideas/Suggestions?

Hello Julian,

What are you hoping to achieve or make progress towards? The process of the content of your email seems to indicate that you have a desire to progress and that perhaps if you find the proper combinations of conditions you will achieve something. There seems to be a general theme of desire for "control" in your post that you would like to find a way of controlling the progress by setting up the right conditions.  I have gone through that process myself.  I find it to be a process of contraction, selfing, identification and the unsatisfactoriness of it shows itself to me more and more, especially on retreat.  I like Goenka's advice for intensive practice on retreat, very simple and to the point he continues to tell people to be patient, diligent, and persistent. Basically, just keep practicing continuously.  Thats the ticket.  Just keep practicing and the progress that you are hoping for will happen.

That being said, personally, I do alot of reclining meditation when sitting gets too intense on retreat, to manage pain that is distracting, but pain can also be helpful to work with and progress by observing it. I generally eat less on retreat as I find that when I eat less, I become less lethargic and it helps my practice. I remember a dharma talk I listened to a while back by Shinzen Young which may address your thoughts on extended sitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYSSf71Vo7w.

metta,

Drew

Breadcrumb