my practice log

c m, modified 9 Years ago at 6/11/14 7:52 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/11/14 7:51 PM

my practice log

My concentration skills are good, I maintain focus on the movement of my abdomen for an hour sit.  Maybe a few minor wobbles here and there.

I have read MCTB all the way through, and a few other books.
I'm working on the 'mind and body' stage, I'm reading that at some point there will be the object, and the knowing of the object.

Is this something that will happen on its own, I just have to keep practicing and it'll happen..  or can I point my mind in a certain direction to try to see this more clearly?  I'm really trying to zero in on the movement in my abdomen, and at the same time watch how I'm noting the rising and falling.  It's not very granular at this point, I can't break the solidity of the two things.

I have a 10-day retreat at the end of June (my first) with a Sayadaw, I want to hit the ground running.
c m, modified 9 Years ago at 6/13/14 5:13 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/13/14 5:06 PM

RE: my practice log

Thanks for the reply Pawel,

I am making effort to stay mindful, and note, throughout the day.  I'm surprised at how quickly it has become habit, kind of my default mode of walking around and doing things.  I'm not listening to the radio or music much anymore, I prefer to just stay with my current task.

> Though its not like vipassana jhanas are the way to see flickering of sensations with some resolution but completely other way around: vipassana jhanas are available only because you are able to notice flickering of sensations with high enough resolution.

I know what you mean, this makes sense. 

I attended a class yesterday, the teacher gave me some applicable tips.  I'm no longer trying to see the mental impression of my physical meditation object, that seems a bit advanced for now.  I'm trying to break the movement of my abdomen into start, middle, end of the in breath..  pause..  start, middle, end of the out breath.  Really drilling down and trying to notice distinct parts of the cycle, strengthening my ability to increase resolution.

Peace,
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 9 Years ago at 6/14/14 5:57 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/14/14 5:57 PM

It sounds like you are doing well so far! Thank you for your commitment.

I find the key to 'hitting the ground running' is master the skill that you'll be taught/using in the retreat as soon as possible. Meaning; meditate as much as you can everyday (3-4+ hours), stay as mindful as you can throughout your day and stay confident in your ability to get SE.

Something I found that helped was 'desensitizing' myself to 'pleasures'. What I mean by that is help your mind lower it's craving by not eating foods you REALLY want to eat, just eat to get the nutrition. Don't move out of a little discomfort. Try to stop fidgeting, try not listen to music/wearing cologne/perfume or deoderant. Essentially try to live a 'boring' life while on this practice. This helped me crave less because I wasn't indulging as much.

Good luck emoticon you can do it.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 6/14/14 10:21 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/14/14 10:21 PM

Travis Gene McKinstry:
Try to stop ...wearing ... deoderant.

Umm, for the sake of all the other yogis...please do wear an unscented deodorant, and if you are not a vegetarian bring some Beano.
Thanks in advance,
~D
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 9 Years ago at 6/16/14 12:24 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/16/14 12:24 PM

Dream Walker:
Travis Gene McKinstry:
Try to stop ...wearing ... deoderant.

Umm, for the sake of all the other yogis...please do wear an unscented deodorant, and if you are not a vegetarian bring some Beano.
Thanks in advance,
~D
hahaha that's hilarious... I was mearly making the point of dulling down your environment so you're not pulled out of meditation easily.
c m, modified 9 Years ago at 6/16/14 12:46 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/16/14 12:44 PM

Theoretically, if one uses one's sharp, manly scent as the primary object of meditation, and clearly perceives the impermanence, suffering, and lack of any permanent self in those sensations, could one gain stream entry via one's own BO?
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 6/16/14 1:31 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 6/16/14 1:30 PM

cmm:
Theoretically, if one uses one's sharp, manly scent as the primary object of meditation, and clearly perceives the impermanence, suffering, and lack of any permanent self in those sensations, could one gain stream entry via one's own BO?
You would have to dig a little deeper.... like here - http://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/1402229 Perhaps you could try it out yourself and tell us the results? pragmatically of course. emoticon
~D

Edit: Sigh....I miss Tommy...

Breadcrumb