Anyone practiced kriya yoga?

thumbnail
Brian K, modified 9 Years ago at 8/2/14 1:44 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/2/14 1:44 PM

Anyone practiced kriya yoga?

So I've started the preliminary practices of kriya yoga, as outlined in the almost 1000 page course, A Systematic Course in theAncient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya, by Swami Satyananda. And was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I am planning on progessing through each lesson and posting a practice log on the DhO. Let me know, thanks!
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 8:27 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 8:27 AM

RE: Anyone practiced kriya yoga?

Hi Brian,
good luck making it through the course.  i don't know enough specifically about Kriya yoga to give specific advice but you might want to check out the Advanced Yoga Practices website.

www.aypsite.org

cheers

tom
thumbnail
Jean B, modified 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 5:49 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 5:49 PM

I did practice kriya yoga for 2 years, with interspersed months of dedicated practice and months of no practice. The mix of pranayama, concentration and asanas is very effective in gaining great body and mind relaxation. I did stop because it takes at least 2 or 3 hours of daily practice to really gain some momentum, and I couldn't afford it. Also I experienced strong pressure in my forehead which bothered me a lot, then I was quite frightened because it got stronger and stronger, and no one could explain what was going on. So I dit quit kriya yoga then started again with other practices.
thumbnail
Brian K, modified 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 5:52 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 5:52 PM

Really? This book, which from what I understand is generally in well regard (not to mention it's one of the only detailed books in print on kriya yoga in english), gives practice routines from 1-2 hours daily. Where did you learn kriya yoga/ what school?
thumbnail
Jean B, modified 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 8:35 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 8:34 PM

I took the initiation from French association Kriya Yoga Shanaram. You can check their lineage on their website (in French) : http://kriya-yoga-sharanam.com/les-maitres-de-la-tradition

The basis routine was 40 min - 1 hour long, and we were encouraged to practice it twice daily. There was also a mantra routine with a 108-beads mala to be done at least once daily. Summing it up, it needed at least 1.5 to 2 hours a day, sometimes even more. There was also some routines of asanas that we were also encouraged to practice several times a week. It is a really beautiful, complete and potent practice, for those with the needed time.

I guess one could also do the basis practice in 20 min, summing up to 40 min per day, and get rid of the other practices, but I think it works better with some dedication.

I might say that this is my point of view, after only 2 years of mitigate practice, so it's probably not worth a lot.

Breadcrumb