Metta-Retreat 2.-9. Oct 2014, with Visu Teoh, at Pauenhof in West Germany

thumbnail
bernd the broter, modified 9 Years ago at 8/21/14 3:12 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/21/14 3:12 AM

Metta-Retreat 2.-9. Oct 2014, with Visu Teoh, at Pauenhof in West Germany

In October 2014, there will be a 7-day-Metta retreat at Pauenhof centre in West Germany from October 2nd to 9th.
It's led by Visu Teoh. I don't know the guy yet, but his writings/biodata indicate that he probably knows what he's doing.
http://visuteoh.net/teachings/metta-meditation-instructions.html
http://visuteoh.net/biodata.html

Here's the description of the retreat in german:
http://pauenhof.de/blog2/retreatskurse-2013/
And a shorter version in english:
http://pauenhof.de/blog2/suedlichesouthern-tradition/visu-teohvisu-teohvisu-teoh/

The talks/interviews will be in English, and there will be a German translation.

I'll be there to deepen my Metta practice and get a perspective on Metta which is probably slightly different than that of Bhante Sujato in order to improve my general intuition on what this is all about.

Does anyone know the guy? Is anyone else going there?
Eudoxos , modified 9 Years ago at 8/31/14 5:36 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/31/14 5:36 AM

RE: Metta-Retreat 2.-9. Oct 2014, with Visu Teoh, at Pauenhof in West Germa

I spent three days with Visu in July, on a Metta retreat (which was longer, but I had no time for more).

He is one of the most approachable teachers I've ever met, has a great deal of his own practice (partiularly in Vipassana, IIRC he trained mainly in Burma), knows the theory damn well also, although he does not talk about it much, unless asked. He is also reasonably critical about some Theravada traditions (e.g. the way women are approached, or how healthy it is to eat chocolate all the time). His English is delightful, very rich in vocabulary. The mix of metta with some vipassana was refreshing and very useful. I was translating for him, so I could see with how much compassion and true interest he was listening to all students. Next time I try the whole course.

Highly recommended.
thumbnail
S Pro, modified 9 Years ago at 9/11/14 4:13 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/11/14 4:13 AM

I already wanted to go to Pauenhof, it´s close to where I live.
Maybe we´ll see each other there if I can make it this time.

Cheers
Sven
Pjotr Hill, modified 9 Years ago at 9/11/14 12:17 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/11/14 12:17 PM

Sounds like an interesting retreat. I was looking into Metta retreats when i found this post. I am unable to attend the retreat in Germany, but found that Visu Teoh is doing a 2 day retreat  (27/28 september in the Netherlands). I will attend the 2 day retreat.

Thanks for the tip emoticon !
Pjotr Hill, modified 9 Years ago at 9/28/14 2:30 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/28/14 2:30 PM

I just returned from a two day retreat with Visu Teoh. It was really good.

He teaches very accessible, and he really embodies metta.

I highly recommend his retreats!
thumbnail
Piers M, modified 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 5:38 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 5:38 PM

Hi bernd the broter,

It's just too late for you... did you do the retreat? See it finished yesterday.

I met Visu last year (May 2013) in Malaysia. Really genuinely lovely warm guy. His wife is German and I met her whilst on retreat in Malaysia where they live (Penang) half the year (the other half spent in Europe, where he has his teaching schedule).

I finished the retreat a month or so after his wife had already left for Germany. So, didn't even have a "proper" intro through his wife but after emailing him he was very happy to meet me and indeed took me out 3 or 4 times for dinner/coffee. Very hospitable. And apologetic that they didn't have the space at the time to put me up for a few days. He had been a monk for 17 years before becoming disillusioned with the whole monastic hierarchy plus the us/them (monastics/lay) thing. Was very much into metta meditation. And you could see genuine warmth coming across.

Glad I spotted this thread because he came to mind whilst I was on retreat in Thailand and now that I'm back in UK I thought, be great to return the compliments sometime. 

~Piers
thumbnail
bernd the broter, modified 7 Years ago at 3/10/17 4:23 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/19/14 5:05 PM

Short summary: Yeah I was there.
Great teacher. Great translation. Great place. I learned MUCH more there than I had expected, although I could be there only 4 full days (und 2 half days).
Visu's way of teaching Metta is very flexible, so it was very different than Bhante Sujatos method, so I really gathered a new perspective on that.
Apart from that, he also teaches Vipassana (similar to Mahasi's instructions), Mudita, Upekkha, Karuna, and a meditation on death on long Metta retreats.
(Unfortunately), only a few people were there, so I got to talk to him for about an hour every day. Which was great. He is the first teacher I have met who will also tell you about personal experiences if it helps to explain a concept.

I can only recommend him. If you want to learn Metta (or Vipassana) he will also guide you via e-mail (possibly Skype, don't know about that) on dana basis.

Breadcrumb