Question about Kasina Practice

thumbnail
Brian K, modified 9 Years ago at 8/21/14 12:05 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/21/14 12:05 PM

Question about Kasina Practice

So, I've started doing a kasina practice again in my meditation and I have a question or two about developing the image after I close my eyes. First off - in the past I've always used a candle for kasina practice. I'm kind of wanting to use a symbol, something that is a little more engaging to me (like a cross or something). I know that I should stare at the image, then after some time, close my eyes and focus on the after-image. Now, when I used a picture of a cross I didn't get that distinct after-image. With a flame, it's actually a physical image I can SEE, burned into my retina, not imagine. Understand what I'm saying? So, my question is... am I actually supposed to SEE the image or after sometime should I close my eyes and call the image up, in other words, visualize it, and concentrate on that? Thanks.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/21/14 2:44 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/21/14 2:44 PM

RE: Question about Kasina Practice

try googling -----> site:www.dharmaoverground.org kasina practice
tons of threads to read up on...perhaps the answer will be found there
I have not done enough kasina practice myself to help you...maybe I should
Good luck,
~D
thumbnail
sawfoot _, modified 9 Years ago at 8/21/14 4:31 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/21/14 4:31 PM

Brian K.:
So, I've started doing a kasina practice again in my meditation and I have a question or two about developing the image after I close my eyes. First off - in the past I've always used a candle for kasina practice. I'm kind of wanting to use a symbol, something that is a little more engaging to me (like a cross or something). I know that I should stare at the image, then after some time, close my eyes and focus on the after-image. Now, when I used a picture of a cross I didn't get that distinct after-image. With a flame, it's actually a physical image I can SEE, burned into my retina, not imagine. Understand what I'm saying? So, my question is... am I actually supposed to SEE the image or after sometime should I close my eyes and call the image up, in other words, visualize it, and concentrate on that? Thanks.
With the candle, it effectively is actually burned into your retina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterimage

I would say, there is not right or wrong way. So I have been doing kasina practice recently, and some instructions I have read just involve starring at it without shutting your eyes. Some instructions say to shut your eyes and try to imagine it. So play around! Everyone is different - the main point is an aid to concentration, and if trying to visualise the image helps you concentrate (and cut down thoughts, if that is your goal), then go ferrit!
grant, modified 9 Years ago at 8/25/14 12:31 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/25/14 12:31 PM

I think your suppose to do kasina in order starting with earth a cross is not a kasina
grant, modified 9 Years ago at 8/25/14 12:33 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/25/14 12:33 PM

Check out "path of purification" PDF its detailed about the thervadin path and the Jana's and kasina and whatnot
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 9 Years ago at 8/26/14 5:34 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/26/14 5:34 AM

Things that burn less hard than a candle flame just take a bit longer, but still can be cool. They just take more patience.

Try sitting in a dark room with a laptop or computer with a black screen and the image of choice in white on the screen with the monitor's contrast and brightness adjusted to make it as bright as it can be without washing out the background black and stare at that: might help.

I used to do this a lot back in the day and found it helpful, though I was mostly looking at things like pentagrams back then.

Breadcrumb