What does this signify?

thumbnail
old dried leaf, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 6:12 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 6:10 AM

What does this signify?

I began becoming aware of blocks of tension in random areas of my body.  The clearer I focused awareness on the breath, pleasant tingling would expand out from the chest and permeate through the tension.  The tension blocks slowly dissolved, and my body began filling up with strong, dull, unpleasant tactile sensations.  This continued until I felt literally full of a strong dull sensations, as if I were a cup that had been filled up completely.

My eyelids closed, and my eyes began rapidly moving.  I think there was a ethereal light, not a bright light, but a whiteness that grew and faded.  All of this subsided after that event.  None of it was pleasurable, except the surges expanding from the chest that rarely occupanied inhalations.  The dull sensations never really fully went away, they just weakened in power.  It appeared that the clearer focus was of the breath, the stronger the sensations became, which overwhelmed my ability to focus on the breath.

Lastly, I recall that before sensations started to become intense, it felt as if I were losing sensation in parts of my body.  Also, I have been randomly seeing a small, vividly-blue point of light flash for less than a second.  This has been happening now multiple times a day, it seems to occur totally randomly, regardless of if I am meditating or not.
Andreas Thef, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 7:49 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 7:49 AM

RE: What does this signify?

Hi ODL, unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what it is but I seem to go through something similar recently (see this post). An unpleasant dull and heavy feeling I know from my childhood. I also have strong facial kriyas for a few months now and for the last few weeks also had rapid eye movements during meditation. They happen primarily when I try to let go of a tension in the forehead building up. To me it seems like some kind of discharge of the pressure. I also had those little blue point and white flashes you're talking about. They are so short that they are barely noticeable and I still think if I'm not making this up. They happen for example when I lay down to sleep and try to keep up my awareness during falling asleep.

Would be very happy to join you in this process of clarification.
thumbnail
old dried leaf, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 9:21 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 9:21 PM

I could guess in that our experiences are the arising and passing away, or sensations of the dark night, or kundalini.  I am not sure, and I am sure there is a clear explaination for this experience.  Knowing where this experience fits in on a map could direct us on how to proceed.

Andreas, I have not meditated since this experience, so I cannot add any new content, but I will if I do experience any more.  I would guess that the correct way to deal with this would be to maintain clearness of focused awareness on the object, while allowing all of these extraspective sensations to exist in the periphery of focus, in the background of awareness.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 1:37 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 1:36 AM

old dried leaf:
I would guess that the correct way to deal with this would be to maintain clearness of focused awareness on the object, while allowing all of these extraspective sensations to exist in the periphery of focus, in the background of awareness.
Is the object(ive) other than what arises?
~D
thumbnail
old dried leaf, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 7:03 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 7:03 PM

Dream Walker, the object can only be from what arises.  For me, the object of focus in awareness is the breath.  The object of periphery in awareness is everything that arises.  An "objective" is a thought, and should exist in the periphery of awareness as long as focus is on the breath.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 7:20 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 7:20 PM

Sounds like a nice hybrid concentration with insite practice. Have you flipped it so that you notice the object that arises and put the breath in the periphery?
Good luck,
~D
Andreas Thef, modified 9 Years ago at 8/25/14 2:00 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/25/14 2:00 AM

old dried leaf:
I could guess in that our experiences are the arising and passing away, or sensations of the dark night, or kundalini.  I am not sure, and I am sure there is a clear explaination for this experience.  Knowing where this experience fits in on a map could direct us on how to proceed.

Andreas, I have not meditated since this experience, so I cannot add any new content, but I will if I do experience any more.  I would guess that the correct way to deal with this would be to maintain clearness of focused awareness on the object, while allowing all of these extraspective sensations to exist in the periphery of focus, in the background of awareness.

Yes, that's also what I thought. I'm experiencing all kinds of blockages that I can't really pin down in terms of their meaning and how to deal with them. But investigating and letting things be is probably always the best thing to do.