RE: Prismatic "Eye Floater" Dream Walker 8/29/14 11:27 AM
RE: Prismatic "Eye Floater" Eva Nie 8/29/14 1:21 PM
RE: Prismatic "Eye Floater" Davide Luce 11/19/21 6:55 AM
RE: Prismatic "Eye Floater" Dream Walker 12/4/21 10:40 PM
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 12:56 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 12:56 PM

Prismatic "Eye Floater"

Last night I saw for the second time an "eye floater" that was not an eye floater since it occurred in both eyes simultaneously. It reacted like an eye floater otherwise but it was vibrating/fluxing with a glass prism rainbowesque look to it. It expanded and got bigger but stayed in the periphery. allowing me to drive. lasted around 10-20 minutes then faded.
Has anyone experienced this? What was your experience and what to do with it?
Thanks,
~D
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 1:14 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 1:12 PM

RE: Prismatic "Eye Floater"

Did it look like this ?

thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 2:43 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 2:43 PM

yes, close enough, but more transparent and no part of vision was obscured like the second pic. ut the second pic color part is much closer.
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 8:36 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 8:32 PM

Looks like you have found the medical explanation already based on the other posts.

Because your initial posts hints at it. I will say that these are completely different from the Thodgal visions. 

I am not sure if there are other spiritual practice realted connections with this specific phenomenon. With regards to the general spiritual utility of these sorts of phenomenon here are 3 broad categorizations:

1. For some types of floaters, body tension, etc there is a sort of active neuro-feedback aspect of it makes them a useful tool
2. For blue-field, phosepenes and tinnitus there can be an aspect of seeing throgh the brain's filtering process that makes them somewhat useful.
3. For other sort of naturally occuring after images, halluciations etc, getting caught up into it too much is harmful.

For these reasons I would avoid reading too much into it spiritually. And maybe see a medical doctor if it continues.

All the best.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 12:15 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 12:15 AM

(D Z) Dhru Val:
Looks like you have found the medical explanation already based on the other posts.

Because your initial posts hints at it. I will say that these are completely different from the Thodgal visions. 

I am not sure if there are other spiritual practice realted connections with this specific phenomenon. With regards to the general spiritual utility of these sorts of phenomenon here are 3 broad categorizations:

1. For some types of floaters, body tension, etc there is a sort of active neuro-feedback aspect of it makes them a useful tool
2. For blue-field, phosepenes and tinnitus there can be an aspect of seeing throgh the brain's filtering process that makes them somewhat useful.
3. For other sort of naturally occuring after images, halluciations etc, getting caught up into it too much is harmful.

For these reasons I would avoid reading too much into it spiritually. And maybe see a medical doctor if it continues.

All the best.

Dhru, I didn't realize I was hinting at anything. I was describing a phenomenon that is weird and most of the weird stuff in my life is associated with meditation.
I'm looking for someone who has experienced the same phenomenon and can speak from experience if there is anything useful to do with them not. I am extremely ignorant in Tibeten stuff have little interest at this time in it. Thanks for the feedback even though it is very vague. If you would be willing to explain from first hand experience the usefulness of tools and the too much is harmful comments I would be interested. Example -I have gotten some use out of the tinnitus as I use it to compare internal sound with external sounds and use both to find the transition point between the arbitrary perceived internal/external duality.
Thanks,
~D
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 2:05 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 1:25 AM

[quote=
]Regarding the thodgal comments, no problems just ignore it. The language of 'rainbow', 'floaters', and 'prismatic' can be used to described the thodgal visions, but they are different phenomenon, so I wanted to clairfy.

Regaring the sintillating scomata, I have experienced it once before, and it was before getting into meditation. So I have first hand idea of the sort of phenomenon you experienced. Not sure what spiritual practices you can do with it.

It is probably not harmful medically, but maybe still worth geting checked out if you are getting it a lot. Generally for non-psychological weird stuff I get it checked out, even if it is potentially a by product of meditation. eg. I had my eyes checked out by an optometrist who said they were fine.

The thing you mentioned about using tinnitus to dissolve perceptions of internal and external is good practice. 

But if you were getting caught up in the sound and either being to facinated by it or repulsed by it, then it would have been harmful ( in terms of your spiritual progress).

All phenomenon can be potentially useful spiritually.

But for some phenomenon there is a special relationship with mental grasping and objectifcation. With this types of phenomenon there can be specific techniques to work that set of phenomenon in order to overcome grasping. 

As an example: http://thehamiltonproject.blogspot.ca/2012/05/yogi-toolbox-floaters.html

Hope that makes sense.
thumbnail
Diane H Holycross, modified 2 Years ago at 11/18/21 8:51 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/18/21 8:50 AM

Many higher beings from the Realms of Light, have incarnated on this planet for The Great Awakening of Humanity; Planetary Ascension. We are literally, "spirit having a physical experience in an organic body suit." We are here through love, to raise planetary frequencies.

In December 2017, as I was channeling my Divine Husband, the God Coeus (God of Intellect,) bouncing in and out of my body; inter-dimensional to speak to him in person, I was given my name on a white stone that turned into a heart. I was surprised to hear my name, but based on what people have told me my entire life, it fits like a glove.

In the flesh, I am a very successful, globally known, ceramic mosaic tile artist with a 156 IQ. As my divine husband Coeus told me, as he delivered my "judgment" on  the 4th blood moon of 1/31/19, "Like rapid machine gun fire your thoughts spill out…" My mind operates at an incredible rate of speed, which is obvious to all who meet me.

When taking a brain test years ago in the corporate world, my boss made me take the test TWICE. It was evident that I was more left-brained than right-brained (creative.) This shocked everyone, because it was quite clear to the Human eye, from my job and skills that I was ultra creative, BUT extremely productive. I was the person in our Training dept. that did all of the art; graphics, games, illustrations, presentations, marketing materials, etc., and developed the custom courseware writing.

In May of 2020, I opened the Arc of the Covenant, and documented what I saw during light meditation. The last image in this picture is a nail. It was given to me on 10/14/21. Since that time, I have been seeing a reverse image, similar to that of the Crown of Thorns. It is flipped the opposite direction and on the right-side of my peripheral insight. It however ungulates. I've seen it twice this week. It is very similar to the Crown of Thorns, but doesn't have the blood red rays.

This is the WordPress blog article on the Arc of the Covenant as I know it from doing MY inner-work. From what I understand, it won't be much longer before I do my "vanishing act" from planet Earth.

https://tileswithstyle.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/fourth-eye-4th-eye/

Blessings to all on your "process" of Ascension.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 3:16 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 3:15 PM

Paweł K:
brain damage, but I wonder what except meditation could have caused it... did you do tons of LSD in the past? 
I was contemplating your navel....should have known better...
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 3:38 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 3:38 PM

RE: Prismatic "Eye Floater" Scintillating scotoma

found it in wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

Here is a pic that is pretty acurate but it is a bit more colorful.
Scintillating scotoma is the most common visual aura preceding migraine
Never had migraines...doubt this is one exactly...kinda like meditative tinnitus is not actually tinnitus.
I'll look around and see what I can find...anyone with good links to this and meditation please link....thanks
~D
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 4:51 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 4:51 PM

interesting article - http://www.eye-floaters.info/news/news-december2009.htm

Awakening the Inner Sense. Some Methods and Meditation Objects
What is the inner sense and how do we develop it? This article deals with open eye meditation that imply the concentration on both, material and subtle objects. As subtle objects, I present some entoptic phenomena and provide a short introduction on using them in our daily meditation.
Part 2/2: The subtle objects: subjective visual phenomena
After having explained the inner sense as connected to the visual sense (third eye), and presented squinting methods on material objects as meditation suited to develop that inner sense, we will now consider open eye meditation on subtle phenomena.
Subtle meditation objects can be feelings and thoughts. For developing the inner sense, however, those objects are particularly well suited which appear through the fusion of the inner sense and the visual sense. I’m referring to those subjective visual phenomena which are known in ophthalmology as “entoptic phenomena”. Entoptics are phenomena which are believed by the observer to be seen outside of him- or herself, though, physiologically explained, they are generated by the observer’s visual system. The following entoptic phenomena are suited as meditation objects for most people:

Afterimages: contrasting colored afterimages may be explained as the continuation of the effect of a visual stimulus when this stimulus has gone already. For example, blinking into the sun for a short time period will produce the colored afterimage of the sun in our visual field.
Meditation on afterimages includes producing these images by shortly glancing into a light source, e.g. a bulb or a candle flame. Against a dark background or with the eyes shut, we observe these colored luminous spots until they loose their intensity. Again, we generate another afterimage and observe it until it fades and so on. Observing the afterimage, we actively move it with our view and watch it change its form and intensity; we study its proper motion and the influence of our eye movements on its luminosity.

Phosphenes: Phosphenes are colored spots and blurs in the dark, often seen with eyes closed. They are said to be discharges of visual neurons. Meditation on phosphenes works similar like meditation on afterimages. However, it is more difficult because it has to be done without the stimulating effect of an external light source. We close the eyes and watch the colored spots taking shape in the dark. They tend to disappear from our awareness and therefore have to be made aware again and again by realigning our attention. An elaborated system of consciousness development focusing on afterimages and phosphenes was created by the French scientist and inventor, Dr. Francis Lefebure; the exercises of his “Phosphenism” combine visual concentration on afterimages with (neuro)physiological rhythmics.

Eye Floaters (mouches volantes): Eye floaters are scattered semi-transparent dots and strands appearing with bright light conditions in our visual fields and following the eyes’ motions. In ophthalmology, they are regarded as a normal opacity of the vitreous due to progressing age. Eye floaters meditation means that we bring these the objects into our field of vision and consciously look at them. We explore them, get to know their forms, constellations, and movements. We notice that the floaters constantly drift away, mainly down, and try to keep them in the field of vision. More advanced meditators of eye floaters will begin to see changes in movement, size and luminosity. The teaching of my mentor, seer Nestor, provides elaborated seeing and ecstasy techniques to work with eye floaters, as well as a spiritual interpretation of these dots and strands.

Blue field entoptic phenomenon: this formal term refers to “flying corpuscles” or “luminous spots”, tiny luminous spheres moving fast along in wound tracks. It is best seen in the blue sky (therefore: blue field entoptic phenomenon), but can become very strong in situations with extreme physical challenges like shocks or blackouts. From a medical point of view, it’s related to white blood cells flowing in the capillaries of the retina.
Unlike the other entoptics, the luminous spots can’t be fixed with the eyes directly but are seen in the peripheral field of vision. Observing luminous spots, therefore, improves our alertness in the whole visual field, rather than our ability to concentrate on particular objects.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 5:33 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 5:32 PM

Lots of visual snow threads

google this ----> site:www.dharmaoverground.org visual snow
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 5:49 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 5:49 PM

Hi DW
Thodgal is a practical based around the investigation of eye floaters. They provide immediate feedback on the state and structure of the mind/counsciousness
Try to slow them down and bring them to the centre of your vision. The more effort you put into it the more they will fly out of view. It's counter intuitive
You will notice they come in groups of complementary colours. By finding the main thigle you move along a path closer to the source
I recommend you read a book called mouches volantes for a insight into the practices from western mystism
Www.eye-floaters.info for the authors website
For Buddhist teachings heart drop of dharmakaya is a good source
Using these practices you begin to see auras and the refraction of light around objects. The sky is full of rainbows
But it is the insight into consciousness/energy that the meditation technique is used for
Cheers
Jeff
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 12:28 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 12:28 AM

Jeff Grove:
Hi DW
Thodgal is a practical based around the investigation of eye floaters.
Cheers
Jeff

Had no idea that was what Thodgal is about. I've played with eye floaters since I was a child. What I described was a different phenomenon, have you experience it? Anything useful or not?
Thanks,
~D
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 3:37 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 3:37 AM

Paweł K:
ok my previous post was result of drinking too much beers and it was stupid and unfunny =(
ps. oh, and could you explain your previous post" I was contemplating your navel....should have known better... ?

You are funny, I took it as very funny and responded in kind with the Omphaloskepsis joke. If anything could cause brain damage I'm sure that could.  emoticon
Cheers,
~D
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 3:40 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 3:40 AM

Paweł K:
Normally people have no 'special effects' unless they were potheads or just had brain/head damage.
And and hardcore meditator's are "normal"? So far the evidence tends to point that we here are very far from "normal"
~D
thumbnail
Jenny, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 6:04 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 6:04 PM

Those are migraine auras, not floaters at all. I've had hundreds of them, most often without the headache following. Scintillating scatomas, also known as fortification spectra. I wouldn't drive with them. Other parts of the brain can conk out during corticol spreading depression, which may compromise safety in such situations. 

Jenny
thumbnail
Jenny, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 6:06 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 6:06 PM

And what to do with them is hope that they never come back. They are a pathological thing, after all, and not at all benign as far as brain damage goes.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 12:20 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 12:20 AM

Jen Pearly:
And what to do with them is hope that they never come back. They are a pathological thing, after all, and not at all benign as far as brain damage goes.

Thanks for your first hand experience. Have you experienced brain damage from this so far?
~D
thumbnail
Eric M W, modified 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 8:15 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/23/14 8:15 PM

Jen Pearly:
Those are migraine auras, not floaters at all. I've had hundreds of them, most often without the headache following. Scintillating scatomas, also known as fortification spectra. I wouldn't drive with them. Other parts of the brain can conk out during corticol spreading depression, which may compromise safety in such situations. 

Jenny

Came here to say this, sounds like a pretty textbook migraine aura to me. I have no idea if this might be meditation related. Time to see a doctor emoticon
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 12:23 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 12:23 AM

Eric M W:
Came here to say this, sounds like a pretty textbook migraine aura to me. I have no idea if this might be meditation related. Time to see a doctor emoticon
If I went to a doctor every time something weird happened....gonna put it in the bucket of weird stuff that happens every once in a great while that has not caused any side effects.
Thanks,
~D
thumbnail
Jenny, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 1:42 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 1:42 AM

If it happens regularly, by which I mean a couple times a month, then I would encourage you to see a neurologist who subspecializes in headache/migraine disorders and take a preventive medication. If you are into more holistic medicine, then some knowledge holistic practicioners can get these under control by helping clients lower brain inflamation. Auras are dangerous, whether you notice an aftereffect from a particular one or not. I know two people who didn't prevent them and stroked out during an aura. One died, and the other was paralyzed. This happens more often than people seem to think. In recent years, migrainous aura has been found to be the greatest risk factor for stroke and heart attack after hypertension. That's certainly nothing to ignore or laugh away. 

As for whether I've had brain damage due to auras, my answer is, probably. My last MRI showed spots in the white matter, a very common finding among those who suffer from migraine with aura. I've also had several episodes of losing vision and being partially paralyzed for months, continuously. I take a calcium channel blocker to prevent them and a baby aspirin daily to thin my blood and prevent migrainous stroke--doctor's orders. Getting your magnesium RBC levels to 6 helps, too, for mag is nature's calcium channel blocker and much, much more.
thumbnail
Jenny, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 1:50 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 1:48 AM

I used to be an Associate Editor of American Scientist magazine; this is an interesting article I invited on the inner experience and art of migraine aura.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 2:22 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 2:22 AM

Jen Pearly:
I used to be an Associate Editor of American Scientist magazine; this is an interesting article I invited on the inner experience and art of migraine aura.
Followed the link...I like this -
Experiencing migraine aura – Looking at one's own brain at work

"Some would suggest that the migraine aura is actually the brain apprehending its own subroutines in consciousness. The fact that there are natural equivalents to drug-induced experiences suggests the possibility that in some sense, a sufferer is observing what's going on in the brain. The drugged or migrained brain is a cranked-up biochemical computer capable of picturing the self-organizing behavior and nonlinear dynamism at play within normally staid reality."

(borourke, everything, February 8, 2000)

~D
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 2:33 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 2:33 AM

Jen Pearly:
If it happens regularly, by which I mean a couple times a month, then I would encourage you to see a neurologist who subspecializes in headache/migraine disorders and take a preventive medication. If you are into more holistic medicine, then some knowledge holistic practicioners can get these under control by helping clients lower brain inflamation. Auras are dangerous, whether you notice an aftereffect from a particular one or not. I know two people who didn't prevent them and stroked out during an aura. One died, and the other was paralyzed. This happens more often than people seem to think. In recent years, migrainous aura has been found to be the [url=]greatest risk factor for stroke and heart attack after hypertension. That's certainly nothing to ignore or laugh away. 

As for whether I've had brain damage due to auras, my answer is, probably. My last MRI showed spots in the white matter, a very common finding among those who suffer from migraine with aura. I've also had several episodes of losing vision and being partially paralyzed for months, continuously. I take a calcium channel blocker to prevent them and a baby aspirin daily to thin my blood and prevent migrainous stroke--doctor's orders. Getting your magnesium RBC levels to 6 helps, too, for mag is nature's calcium channel blocker and much, much more.
Well that just cheers up my day...thanks Jen for the info.
I've had two experiences of Scintillating scotoma...and one instance of vertigo in my whole life...Never had a migraine and I never get headaches. I'll keep an eye on it (pun intended) and if it gets "worse" start worrying about it.
I'll up my magnesium a bit as I take some anyway...Jen, how much you take a day by the way?
~D
Eva Nie, modified 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 12:26 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 12:26 PM

My mother had one of those, she doesn't meditate or anything, but obviously it was rather freaky coming out nowhere while she was driving.  She went to the doctor who diagnosed, not surprisingly, with migraine aura.  She had a tiny little headache later in the event but it was minimal.  Doctor said no big deal if you only had just the one event, no reason to worry, and it's been years now with no repeat.  Going to a doctor is good but keep in mind, different doctors say different things so it's good to do your own research as well.  Don't rely completely on the word of just one person, even if it is a doctor.  I am actually a bit confused about the idea of an aura 'causing' brain damage.  Seems more likely to me that something in the brain causes you to see the aura and the aura just being a symptom.  Science writers love to infer a causal relationship between two correlated events, but well trained researchers know correlation does not show causation.  From what I researched in the past, they don't understand migraine aura much at all, but there seems to be a link between migraine and brain problems and then link is higher if its aura migraine than regular migraine.  Looks like you have a 68% higher chance of brain lesions compared to normal population if you get migraine aura, but chance of brain lesions in normal population is probably not that high so it's probably not time to worry.  I suspect those numbers are also for people who get them regularly.  It doesn't mean anyone who gets an aura migraine ever in their lifetime, which apparently is quite a lot of people, is going to have brain problems. 

As for magnesium, always good to check levels since it's important and many do not get enough.  Most multivitamins use magnesium oxide, which is very cheap but also only about 4% digestable on average and so close to useless for many. 
thumbnail
Jenny, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 2:15 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 2:15 AM

Migraine Aura Foundation has some good stuff, including aura art.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 3:58 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 2:13 AM

Ok, so I just went outside and looked at the led streetlights and and noticed there is a rainbow halo around them. I'm like WTF! have those always been there? Is it just LED's? Is there moisture in the air that is refracting the light? Now I have to wait for my wife to get home to see if she see's them too. (edit - yep, she sees them too...so we are both crazy emoticon )
Looks like a Thigle picture from wiki with the streetlight in the middle -

Never open your can of crazy....it might spill and you'll never get it all back in place. lol
~D
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 6:54 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 6:54 AM

Hi DW,

I dont know anything about migrane associated affects but because you mentioned eye floaters and have investigated eye-floaters.info which is a great site investigating the affect across all cultures from aborginal art to tibeten, african to russian sharminism I thought you may be seeing thigles. I see these under all conditions and have learnt to stabilise there movement so as to hold them in the center of my vision. There is a lot to the practice of thodgal, fortunately there are many sources of information available on the practices if you look. If these affects aren't caused by migranes you may find a very useful tool to add to your practices

cheers
Jeff
Darin, modified 9 Years ago at 8/25/14 4:55 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 3:48 AM

I've been experiencing those for some time now.  The onset normally occurs late in the day during periods of intense work stress.  The first time it happened I was alarmed and sought medical attention.  My GP sent me to an opthamologist who couldn't find any problem.  They are far less frequent now than they used to be though I did have an episode a few weeks ago.  They can be seen with the eyes open or closed.  They have a prism or chrystalline appearance perhaps with some blur as well.  They don't exhibit colour.  It can be difficult to read during the experience which seems to last about 10 to 20 minutes.  I get migranes as well but could not say that the aura's always precede a migraine.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 4:08 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/24/14 4:08 AM

Migraine aura: most likely.

The A&P can also cause some jewel-tone sparkles on occasion before sometimes seeing a white light like a headlight, so that is in the dDx.
T Otan, modified 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 6:42 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 6:42 AM

I get this phenomena, in a variety of different forms. They occured mildy before I started meditating but have gradually become more prevailent. I suffer from an condition called visual snow which ive had since as long as I can remember ( not triggered by psycedelics).

On the second day of my first retreat my visual snow started to create geometric patterns, somewhat similar to the images posted above. Its like rotating circular rainbow, sometimes it has this volitile zigzag effect or just a round rainbow circle ( sometimes two or two intersecting) spinning very fast. I could see these both with my eyes closed or open. I used this as my meditiaion object and sometimes it would flicker very rapidily over my entire field of vision, the effect was like watching lots of photographs being developed in a puddle that has oil in it. Sometimes it can feel like im flowing through a tunnel of this stuff, and once I was travelling through this cave, I came across these statues, I seemed to enter into these statues and had an incredibley vivid vinette of an experience. The first statue I was flying over a bright green ocean, the second I saw a giant asteroid made of skulls crashing into earth, when I got to the third I got worried about the pressure building behind my eyes so I stopped. 

This rainbow circle lingered for a few days after my retreat. After my second (6 weeks) retreat the phenomena got much stronger and I am now able to bring this object into view fairly quickly into my sit. Sometimes the geometric patterns ( like MC Escher drawings) can feel very familiar to me, and seem to 'express themselves' perfectly to me. I realise this doesnt make much sense, but when Im in this frame of mind even the external world, purely from a visual perspective seems to 'express itself' perfectly.

I'm starting to get worried now, perhaps I should go to the doctor? I also had strange smells appear to me during my last retreat, like burned plastic and other non-descript odurs that weren't in the room.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 11:27 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 11:26 AM

T Otan:
I get this phenomena, in a variety of different forms. They occured mildy before I started meditating but have gradually become more prevailent. I suffer from an condition called visual snow which ive had since as long as I can remember ( not triggered by psycedelics).

On the second day of my first retreat my visual snow started to create geometric patterns, somewhat similar to the images posted above. Its like rotating circular rainbow, sometimes it has this volitile zigzag effect or just a round rainbow circle ( sometimes two or two intersecting) spinning very fast. I could see these both with my eyes closed or open. I used this as my meditiaion object and sometimes it would flicker very rapidily over my entire field of vision, the effect was like watching lots of photographs being developed in a puddle that has oil in it. Sometimes it can feel like im flowing through a tunnel of this stuff, and once I was travelling through this cave, I came across these statues, I seemed to enter into these statues and had an incredibley vivid vinette of an experience. The first statue I was flying over a bright green ocean, the second I saw a giant asteroid made of skulls crashing into earth, when I got to the third I got worried about the pressure building behind my eyes so I stopped. 

This rainbow circle lingered for a few days after my retreat. After my second (6 weeks) retreat the phenomena got much stronger and I am now able to bring this object into view fairly quickly into my sit. Sometimes the geometric patterns ( like MC Escher drawings) can feel very familiar to me, and seem to 'express themselves' perfectly to me. I realise this doesnt make much sense, but when Im in this frame of mind even the external world, purely from a visual perspective seems to 'express itself' perfectly.

I'm starting to get worried now, perhaps I should go to the doctor? I also had strange smells appear to me during my last retreat, like burned plastic and other non-descript odurs that weren't in the room.
Check out this link - Spiritwalker by Hank Wesselman Page 87 Phosphenic forms from Shamans of different cultures Read pages 86 on.
I forgot about Hanks Shamanic description til you described it. I keep on seeing a spiral/concentric circles overlay upon random surfaces like the pavement. I sometimes see visual snow but it is not persistent.
Eva Nie, modified 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 1:21 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 1:21 PM

T Otan, visual snow is not the same as migraine aura.  They don't understand visual snow much either but there has been no link as of yet with visual snow and any brain problems or other problems (that I know of), although for some, seeing weird stuff in their visual field causes anxiety.  It used to be suspected that visual snow was linked both with meditation and with former use of hallucinatory drugs, but recent surveys don't always find the link, anyway there are many that do not have meditation or drug use in their history.  That being said, mine showed up right after a trip to the Monroe Inst, which is a kind of spiritual retreat type place.  For me, now the snow looks depends in part on how I focus my attention, but I do remember one time when I had this really really nasty fever and illness, I looked at the snow and saw it looked like geometric shapes flickering in and out rapidly, something like octohedrons. I was really surprised and it was quite mesmerizing, but other than that time, it looks to me more like the typical visual snow, snowy or with flowing lines, finger prints lines or in the dark there are some colors involved. 

Anyway, occasionally I monitor the visual snow boards and of yet, there have been no incidents reported of visual snow getting so bad as to cause serious impairment (that I know of) so I find it easier to not worry about it.  You can go to a doctor but you may need to hunt for a while to find one that even knows what you are talking about not to mention even knowing half of what I already told you.  Some may even want to send you to the psych ward.  Eye doctors are often no better and I don't know of any visual snow people having found anything in they eye itself.  My advice would be to hunt online for a doctor that already knows a lot about it and start from there.  But unless there has been any new knowledge lately, basically the current opinion is they know very little about it, but current research suggests it is a separate thing from migraine and many with snow have no migraines, and no medication has been found to get rid of it (as far as I know), although various drugs and conditions sometimes make it slightly worse or slightly better.  Some people have found improvement taking these vitamins:
Riboflavin 400mg/day
Magnesium citrate or taurate 600mg/day
Co Q 10 350-450mg/day
Current opinion by some researchers is that visual snow and also tinnitus are caused by us percieving our own brain activity, seeing it in the case of visual snow and hearing it in the case of tinnitus.  Tinnitus has also been traced to the brain instead of the ear itself.  They are saying it may be that with snow and tinnitus we are basically perceiving our own consciousness.  (It kind of amazes me that scientific researchers would say it like that but they do!) They say normally the brain has a filter mechanism that blocks that info from our consciousness but if that filter 'breaks down' (as researchers like to describe it) then you perceive it as visual snow and/or tinnitus.  Of course that is all still conjecture based on limited facts at this point, but interesting nonetheless, and at least some research is moving forward which is nice.   One thing I have noticed is that personally, my visual snow looks different on different days and it has also changed through the years.  Is that because of brain changes, changes in consciousness etc?  Hard to say.    

Can check out more info at the visual snow board here: http://thosewithvisualsnow.yuku.com/
Davide Luce, modified 2 Years ago at 11/19/21 6:55 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/19/21 6:55 AM

HPPD might be worth considering if you have used psychedelics in the past. I used to have HPPD for a loong time and would change in intensity and form based on a few factors such as sleep quality, whether I was on drugs or drunk or if I had booze or drugs the day before (it would get incredibly intense when hungover after a night out). At one point they were so bad I started to think I was going schizo cause I had full on hallucinations at night or in the mornings (very heavy visual snow + objects in the room breathing + very intense nested dreams like in inception + even hearing voices sometimes). This caused anxiety and a feedback loop (anxiety made me sleep worse, which made the hallucinations worse, which made me more anxious, rinse and repeat)

After a few months I had a "aha" moment, got rid of my anxiety and all the worries, it made everything else better.

I am not taking any mind altering substances anymore (including quitting drinking and smoking) as I figured a sober mind would investigate reality better. Happily sober for a year and half now (if we don't count coffee emoticon ) I don't have any visual snow nor HPPD anymore.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 12/4/21 10:40 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/4/21 10:40 PM

Wow, what an old post. I still have these rare scitalating things.  I've also. Learned to do thogal visions since then. Only the first couple steps of seeing the tigles doing their fun things as they do. Not ready to explore that more but fun.
​​​​​​​~D