strange sensation during breath meditation

Patrick, modified 9 Years ago at 9/8/14 10:59 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/8/14 10:59 AM

strange sensation during breath meditation

Hi everybody, I started performing a breath meditation 2 weeks ago. I generally meditate twice a day, between 10 and 20 minutes (I set an alarm.) Last night, after meditating for around 15 minutes then stopping, I decided to start again a few minutes later. I quickly began to experience a bodily sensation that can be best described as "burning." While it wasn't necessarily painful, it was overwhelming in it's own way, and I could not continue focusing on my breath due to this strange sensation. Is this normal to experience when you begin meditating?
thumbnail
Eric M W, modified 9 Years ago at 9/9/14 9:40 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/9/14 9:40 AM

RE: strange sensation during breath meditation

Something that can pop up in the early nanas, especially between third and fourth, is a sense of heat or firey energy. This may be what you experienced. I believe the Pali word for it is atapa
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 9 Years ago at 9/11/14 3:14 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/11/14 3:14 PM

Eric M W:
Something that can pop up in the early nanas, especially between third and fourth, is a sense of heat or firey energy. This may be what you experienced. I believe the Pali word for it is atapa

I would think "tapa" is the word, that atapa would mean "fireless". But I don't know. And heat in Sanskirt is "tapas" ....
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 9 Years ago at 9/11/14 3:16 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/11/14 3:16 PM

Patrick:
Hi everybody, I started performing a breath meditation 2 weeks ago. I generally meditate twice a day, between 10 and 20 minutes (I set an alarm.) Last night, after meditating for around 15 minutes then stopping, I decided to start again a few minutes later. I quickly began to experience a bodily sensation that can be best described as "burning." While it wasn't necessarily painful, it was overwhelming in it's own way, and I could not continue focusing on my breath due to this strange sensation. Is this normal to experience when you begin meditating?

Howdy, 

Is this sort of a burning in the chest area perhaps from a natural and very normal over-focus on the lungs while breathing?  You may not be having this natural over-focus on the lungs, but since you mention just starting breathing meditation, this can come up. 
Patrick, modified 9 Years ago at 9/13/14 10:29 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/13/14 10:29 AM

the sensation seems to be everywhere (in my limbs, as well as my torso) but hasn't shown up the past few days.

Breadcrumb