vipassana and jhanas in the body and in the mind

thumbnail
Julie V, modified 9 Years ago at 9/8/14 10:55 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/8/14 10:55 PM

vipassana and jhanas in the body and in the mind

In the last couple of months, I have met a teacher and his student, who taught meditation in the way of separating states between body and mind (more like the heart maybe) quite explicitly.  I did not get meditation in the mind until the past couple of weeks or so.  Then, I realize that they are quite different.  All the jhanas I can access to in the "body" (felt more like the mindfulness "outside") can also be entered separately through the "mind" (mindfulness "inside").  Yet, jhanas in the "mind" feels much more peaceful, blissful, calm and much easier to stay with and with less distraction.

I really start to wonder which types of jhanas people here are talking about (?)

Note also that I seem to be able to do vipassana on both levels (feel more like inside and outside) as well.  I don't know whether both of these will give the same effects in terms of observing 3C's.  Just want to put some thoughts out there.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 9/8/14 11:55 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/8/14 11:55 PM

RE: vipassana and jhanas in the body and in the mind

Julie V:
In the last couple of months, I have met a teacher and his student, who taught meditation in the way of separating states between body and mind (more like the heart maybe) quite explicitly.  I did not get meditation in the mind until the past couple of weeks or so.  Then, I realize that they are quite different.  All the jhanas I can access to in the "body" (felt more like the mindfulness "outside") can also be entered separately through the "mind" (mindfulness "inside").  Yet, jhanas in the "mind" feels much more peaceful, blissful, calm and much easier to stay with and with less distraction.

I really start to wonder which types of jhanas people here are talking about (?)

Note also that I seem to be able to do vipassana on both levels (feel more like inside and outside) as well.  I don't know whether both of these will give the same effects in terms of observing 3C's.  Just want to put some thoughts out there.

Very interesting...please say more about the specifics of the meditations.
Thanks,
D

Breadcrumb