Dealing with fear in meditation

ftw, modified 9 Years ago at 9/15/14 8:29 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/15/14 8:28 AM

Dealing with fear in meditation

Hello,

I'm trying to give my coworker who is the only person I talk openly about spiritual stuff an advice on dealing with fear while meditating. She goes on yoga classes and meditating on breath this is what happens. After couple of minutes (very fast) she is "out". She says she out of her skin and feeling spacious. She can't find her breath anymore which causes her to panic and stop meditating.  Another thing is, she feels presence of somekind. She told me she has a fear of ghosts from early childhood.  Maybe there's more but I didn't poke.

She's very dear to me and me being beginer I gave her some basic advice on trying to "note trough" her experience and being mindfull of feelings prior to fear onset.   I feel like I'm letting her down somehow since I'm not qualified enough from practical point. I've read a lot on meditation. Countless books and  forums. But I'm still nowhere in terms of practice. Just started again with basic concentration practice. She trusts me and I her. We're like two people who share a secret and can talk about things other wouldn't. 

Can you offer her some advice on how to dealt with that fear?

Thanks!
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 9/15/14 2:26 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/15/14 2:26 PM

RE: Dealing with fear in meditation

ftw:
After couple of minutes (very fast) she is "out". She says she out of her skin and feeling spacious. She can't find her breath anymore which causes her to panic and stop meditating.  Another thing is, she feels presence of somekind.
Thanks!

Have her read this - Probably useful to have her start at the beginning of the jhanas but what you describe lines up with jhana 6.
ftw, modified 9 Years ago at 9/15/14 7:43 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/15/14 7:43 PM

RE: Dealing with fear in meditation

Heh, I wanted to talk to her about formless realms but I thought no way she has access to those. Maybe, who knows.

Anyway, her main obstacle is this feeling for presence of spirits. I think it's all in her head. Maybe she should start with some formal declarations. Calling highest entities (buddha) to protect her or something like that. We can prolly deal with the feeling of no breath. I found some good advices on this forum but the things with presence of "spirits/ghosts" will be though.

Breadcrumb