Meditation App Reviews

Derek, modified 9 Years ago at 9/18/14 9:18 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/18/14 9:18 AM

Meditation App Reviews

Mind

Mind is a deliberately minimalistic meditation timer app. I appreciated the simplicity of this app. However, it was too minimalistic for me in the following respects:

(1) The sound volume was too quiet and could not be adjusted.

(2) I have my iPad on a stand, with the display sideways, and the app did not adjust for this. I had to tilt my head sideways to read it.

(3) Perhaps no app can deal with this, but I'll describe the problem. I have my iPad connected to powered speakers. These speakers go to sleep when no sound is playing, and take five seconds to wake up after a sound is sent to them. For this reason I did not hear the beginning bell at all.
thumbnail
Jake, modified 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 11:27 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 11:27 AM

RE: Meditation App Reviews

ZenFriend for iOS is great > http://zenfriend.com/

Lots of different bells to choose from, different volumes, starting and ending delay bells, easy to customize. You can also save presets, and there is a little community.
Derek, modified 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 12:09 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 11:57 AM

ZenFriend looks like a good one, but before I saw your post I had already purchased Serenity (two bucks), and this morning I tried it out.

Serenity

Serenity is more configurable than Mind, offering a generous choice of sixteen different sounds. Some of the sixteen don't seem that usable (didgeridoo, anyone?). The default of singing bowl #1 worked fine for me.

You can configure the number of strikes of the sound. I put two strikes of the singing bowl at the end, so that the first strike would wake up my powered speakers, and the second would be audible. The sound of the singing bowl lasts longer than five seconds, so I actually get the tail end of the first strike and then the full sound of the second strike. I turned up the volume on the speakers louder than I usually would, so that I got the volume I wanted.

Serenity also allows an "interval" sound and a "cool down" sound. These are not things I would use, so I set them to silent. The app has four presets where you can set up patterns you commonly use. I found it a bit confusing switching between the preset selector screen and the main screen, as the main screen doesn't seem to mention which preset you are using.

I did notice when I was testing it that the screen stays lit up all the time (i.e., doesn't go to sleep). This wasn't a problem, since the app didn't seem to have any appreciable effect on the battery.

Overall, I would say that Serenity works quite well for me.
Pjotr Hill, modified 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 1:35 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 12:44 PM

Insighttimer (i bought the deluxe version)

Nice community, nice forum.

I really like that you can see on a map where people are meditating worldwide, and the number of people you have meditated with

I also like that the app keeps track of your meditation statistics, total time and graphs of the past days/weeks/months

The app is flexible, different sounds and different numbers of strikes.

ftw, modified 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 3:23 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 3:23 PM

I tried many apps, even payed for one. In the end i decided to use the native ios timer app. Its located under clock. Who needs a fancy timer with circle running around for two hours. You dont look at it.  And native timer runs nicely in the background too (small power consumption). Perfect.
Derek, modified 9 Years ago at 9/20/14 12:25 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/20/14 12:25 PM

I didn't even know that was there. I tried it for the first time this morning. It certainly has both the functionality and the simplicity I'm looking for. But it definitely sounds like an alarm clock when it goes off.

For an extra two bucks, I prefer the singing bowls. I don't begrudge app developers their two bucks. I'm sure it's a lot of work to produce something functional and esthetically pleasing.
ftw, modified 9 Years ago at 9/20/14 1:00 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/20/14 1:00 PM

Hi Dereck, i bought an app too but don't use it anymore. You can change the default 'radar' sound in 'timer' app and choose another one. Just press on the sound name and menu pops up ;-)

Breadcrumb