ebb, flow, moon phases and meditation

thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 9 Years ago at 9/18/14 5:27 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/18/14 5:27 PM

ebb, flow, moon phases and meditation

Hi !

I am new to this board, and am a complete neophyte , linguistically speaking , in Budhism, meditation etc..  but i can tell i have many many shared experiences i read here and there on this forum, and it is turning tremendously usefull to me, many thanks to each and everyone of you ;  Also, excuse my question if it has already been debated emoticon

Does anyone take in consideration the moon's actual phase and use it to assess the influence it might have on the intensity on the meditation's effect or phases you are about to have ?  

Thanks for your answers emoticon
SeT 
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 9 Years ago at 9/22/14 7:37 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/22/14 6:46 AM

RE: ebb, flow, moon phases and meditation

SeTyR ZeN:
Hi !

I am new to this board, and am a complete neophyte , linguistically speaking , in Budhism, meditation etc..  but i can tell i have many many shared experiences i read here and there on this forum, and it is turning tremendously usefull to me, many thanks to each and everyone of you ;  Also, excuse my question if it has already been debated emoticon

Does anyone take in consideration the moon's actual phase and use it to assess the influence it might have on the intensity on the meditation's effect or phases you are about to have ?  

Thanks for your answers emoticon
SeT 

Hi SeT,

There are very subtle energy changes or cycle  that I am aware of as the lunar phase approaches full moon and then wanes. The yang chi in my dantain has a growth cycle that matches the moon cycle it  blooms on a waxing then fades as the phase goes from full moon to wanning Moon. When yin is extreme ( no moon) yang is born (something appears from nothing). This is a similar to out of stillness movement is born
If you think about it a womans menstrual cycle also waxes and wanes over a 28 day cycle. Farmers were aware of natures cycle and planted crops on a waxing moon. The moon affects our body just as it affects the tides of this world. The energetic affect on the bodymind includes thoughts feelings and habitual patterns

cheers
Jeff

thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 9 Years ago at 9/22/14 7:52 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/22/14 7:52 AM

Hi,

I can't speak for affect on meditation, but I've had several interesting discussions with healthcare workers about how they get a lot busier (when working nights) near/at the full moon.

Personally I tend to have more nightmares around the full moon.

I'm sure there are many possible explainations for this, some completely mundane and some not.

Simon
thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 8:20 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 7:05 PM

Thank you for your kind replies Jeff, Simon ;

Jeff, prior to theses feelings or habitual patterns, there is a mechanical (as in physics) action, right ? ; I think it exacerbates the feeling of felling, more than generates something ; Habitual patterns are exacerbated by consequence i think too;  I am definitely sure it has its clear influence;

What i'd like to find is any or some reference to this in traditional scriptures or pratices, if that exists emoticon
But on the other side, i guess it might not be that important after all, as all there is is just something to live with , anytime, any circonstance emoticon

SeTyR

ps: Happy new moon btw ! emoticon http://www.moonconnection.com/current_moon_phase.phtml
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 9 Years ago at 9/25/14 5:52 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/25/14 5:33 AM

SeTyR ZeN:
Thank you for your kind replies Jeff, Simon ;

Jeff, prior to theses feelings or habitual patterns, there is a mechanical (as in physics) action, right ? ; I think it exacerbates the feeling of felling, more than generates something ; Habitual patterns are exacerbated by consequence i think too;  I am definitely sure it has its clear influence;

What i'd like to find is any or some reference to this in traditional scriptures or pratices, if that exists emoticon
But on the other side, i guess it might not be that important after all, as all there is is just something to live with , anytime, any circonstance emoticon

SeTyR

ps: Happy new moon btw ! emoticonhttp://www.moonconnection.com/current_moon_phase.phtml
yes from my own investigations  typically the body reacts instictively to a situation, releasing chemicals. These chemicals are energy that creates and feeds the feeling and the feeling feed thoughts. The energy can be experienced as either expanding, contracting, rising, falling, opening or closing. Think about that expanding rush of anger that rises up and consumes or that contracting sinking feeling of fear. Those situations were your mind goes a thousand miles an hour or gets stuck in a loop thought after thought. The energy for this has to come from somewhere. Energy just changes from one form into another

As to traditional sources any good book on chinese acupuncture should explain the waxing and waning of qi.

The doctrine of Yueti Najia (The moon embraces the heavenly stems) in Wei Boyang's Can Tong Qi provides reference to practice, the Ten Heavenly Stems the appearance of the moon and tide as well as their relationships with the principle of tonification and purgation of qi and the blood
You can find information on the practices in Wang Li Pings Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu
But this is also something you can discover yourself through practice.

cheers
Jeff

Breadcrumb