Rapid cycling

thumbnail
Zendo Calrissian, modified 9 Years ago at 9/18/14 6:34 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/18/14 6:34 PM

Rapid cycling

Howdy DhO,

After a couple months of light meditating, I kicked it back up to my 2-4 hour a day level about 3 weeks ago.  Things proceeded normally and it took about a week to get back to Eq.  Maybe another 5 days to get Eq to stick.  2 days ago I hit high Eq after 2 hours of sitting and spent another hour exploring the spaciousness.  Did some work then went for another 30 minute sit.  Much to my surprise I was irritable, felt kind of crappy--not at all eq-like.  Sure enough after about 20 minutes I hit an A&P.  I spent the rest of the evening in DN much to my wife's chagrin.

I chalked it up to dharma strangeness and got up yesterday and hit the cushion.  Got to high EQ in about an hour.  After exploring it for a while I found myself back in the 3Cs.

Today I made it to high EQ in about 45 mins.  Spent 1/2 hour in it then landed in 3Cs again.  I spent another 2 hours on the mat and got back to high EQ and now I'm back in a DN.  2 high EQs and 3 DNs in one day.  Usually once I get to EQ, it sticks for a while as long as I put in the mat time.  Anyone have any opinion as to what is going on?  I like rollercoasters but I'm not enjoying this one.

Thank
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 12:02 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 12:02 AM

RE: Rapid cycling

Well if you were third path I'd say pretty normal day as long as you were sprinkling some blips along the way.

What exactly is happening in high EQ and what are you doing? Are you noting to get to EQ? do you continue? what about the 3 C's?
~D
thumbnail
Zendo Calrissian, modified 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 12:36 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 12:36 AM

Once I get to high EQ I just try to let go.  Don't really do anything but watch.

To get there I do sort of a mix of a koan and concentration.  The koan helps me to focus on no-self and my mind kind of grabs that runs with it.

When I focus on no-self, it drives me very deep into a concentrated state. If you are asking what I do when I am in the 3Cs jhanna, I go back to my koan/concentrated state. 

The 3Cs jhanna is one of the roughest for me.  I find it worse than the DN.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 1:30 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 1:30 AM

Zendo Calrissian:
Once I get to high EQ I just try to let go.  Don't really do anything but watch.
To get there I do sort of a mix of a koan and concentration.  The koan helps me to focus on no-self and my mind kind of grabs that runs with it.

Ok, to recap our conversation....
Sounds like you got the no-self down pretty darn good.
Investigate the 5 senses with as much clarity as you can.
Notice that each sensation ends as your focus moves to the next object...notice the impermanence....this does not last...this does not last..etc...see it
Notice that each sensation does not satisfy. It doesn't have to be super unsatisfactory or super stressful....just a little built into the system....probe each sensation and see if any one thing satisfies you....check it over and over until it seems very clear.

I've totally gotten an ah ha moment doing these things....almost a remedial feeling of ...no shit sherlock....you got it...it feels very insiteful at the time.

Hope it works for you....Everything else seems to be aligned...you are in the right place....see the 5 senses clearly and sprinkle it with the 3C's....If you get to thinking notice that too and get back to sensations.
Good luck,
~D
thumbnail
Zendo Calrissian, modified 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 6:03 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/19/14 6:03 PM

Thanks DW, I've been giving it a try. 

I think this cycling is going to be the new normal for a while but hey, nothing's permanent, right?