Looking for a specific thread

thumbnail
Jake, modified 9 Years ago at 9/23/14 11:16 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/23/14 11:16 AM

Looking for a specific thread

Cannot find the thread where Daniel has about 1 to 9 different levels of insight practice? For example, level 1 "can barely concentrate, lost in ones stuff, etc" to 9 "can perform the chosen practice without distractions, can clearly see the three characteristics".

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I've been searching but cannot find it.
J J, modified 9 Years ago at 9/23/14 11:32 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/23/14 11:31 AM

RE: Looking for a specific thread

Boom shaka laka.

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/1978584#_19_message_1973107
thumbnail
Jake, modified 9 Years ago at 9/23/14 11:34 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/23/14 11:34 AM

Damn son that was quick. Thank you!
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 2:31 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 2:18 AM

Not sure where to pose this question, so here goes here...

Is it possible to download the complete DhO website? to be able to browse it off-line. (I don't have my own direct internet account, and the one I use isn't as reliable as it could be.) I.e. the model here might be like 'accesstoinsight' allows downloading the whole thing, as it is at the moment (a vipassana 'snapshot'?), for off-line grazing. Also, but much more static in nature, the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana Tipitaka Version 4.0 (CST4), but this only for Windows OS, i.e. not browser-based.

Also, am not sure how to get questions like these to the proper 'authorities' in DhO -- the only email is Daniel's. It that where to inquire?

If so, ok, but I would have thought such stuff might be a bit delegated, committee, or whatnot, as Daniel's either got incredible ('immeasurable'?) energy (to hold down the ER, family, writing, reading this stuff, moderating, traveling, speaking,...), or he might burn-out one day, and this all fizzle away... in a wisp of anicca dust...

Chris Macie
ftw, modified 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 5:54 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 5:54 AM

Use program like wget. It runs under windows also.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 7:22 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 7:22 AM

In reality, it is me as administrator, etc, with a group of moderators, a few people who volunteer for tech support, a few people who sometimes get paid to do more heavy-lifting Liferay specific programming, and this fine community of people who help keep it all together. I am doing fine with the place, but do wish that the recent spasm of hyper-psychological fixation would subside, as I find it taxing and a distraction from the things I care most about.

I do recommend one of those site-scraping programs, as, while it might be possible to get you a copy of the database, I doubt it would be in a format you could read unless you wanted to use it to create your own Liferay on a local server in your home, which takes technical expertise that is hard to find, I can tell you.
thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 1:22 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 1:22 PM

Regarding distributing the DhO Liferay database I think that would be impractical from several perspectives. One is as Daniel mentioned that it takes quite a bit of technical knowledge to do anything useful with it, getting a running liferay installation using the database is quite a bit of work. It would also be impractical from a privacy standpoint as the database contains things like account information, private messages etc. that would need to be scrubbed first.

One possible option is generating a simple static version of the DhO forum content from the database that could be exported for offline use. However I am unsure if there would be enough interest in an offline version of the forum to warrant the time needed for that. If there is serious interest in an offline downloadable version I could probably get this done with a reasonable amount of effort, though with a new baby at home time availability is sporadic.

Using something like wget to create a mirror as has been previously suggested might be a good idea, though I suspect that would run into its own set of problems and take quite a bit of time and bandwidth.

Simon
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 5:23 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 5:23 AM

ftw (10/9/14 5:54 AM as a replyto Chris J Macie.)
"Use program like wget. It runs under windows also."

Daniel M. Ingram
(10/9/14 7:22 AM as a reply to Chris J Macie. )
"I do recommend one of those site-scraping programs, as, while it might be possible to get you a copy of the database, … takes technical
expertise that is hard to find…"

Simon Ekstrand (10/9/14 1:22 PM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.)
"… impractical from several perspectives…"
"Using something like wget to create a mirror … though … its own set of
problems …"

Wget sounds like it could be generally useful. (There's a 'wgrep' program that runs in Windows and has proven useful – as the native Windows search function becomes more and more decrepit with each release.) So far I've not found a similarly packaged application for wget – just open-source code etc. that a Unix-savy programmer could use to generate such.

I guess using 'Save page as…'(Firefox or Safari) does work well-enough.

(20 years ago, I'd have hacked out a Smalltalk-80 application, using the VisualWorks Wave www interface, and got the job done in a few dozen ("or so") lines of code, in a couple of hours ("or so"). But that moment is long gone. Hi-tech geekery is such a splended lesson in the workings of anicca. Since then (and having retired from the software industry), I've found the Abhidhamma a more rewarding playground for the systematic bent of mind (Enneagram type 5, some would say), and, whatever the mostly under-informed critics may say, Abhidhamma is ultimately about practice.)

Thanks for seriously considering the issue.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 12:53 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 12:53 PM

This does not make a local copy...it's a snapshot from a time...stored for you.
way back machine
http://archive.org/web/

~D

Breadcrumb