Can you diagnose Arthur Koestler ?

thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 9 Years ago at 9/23/14 8:32 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/23/14 8:29 PM

Can you diagnose Arthur Koestler ?

If it's not too much trouble, piece by Arthur Koestler - what did he go through here in buddhist map terms ? I'm guessing one of the 4 lower jhanas ?

"I was standing at the recessed window of cell No. 40 and with a piece of iron-spring that I had extracted
from the wire mattress, was scratching mathematical formulae on the wall. Mathematics, in particular analytical
geometry, had been the favorite hobby of my youth, neglected later on for many years. I was trying to
remember how to derive the formula of the hyperbola, and was stumped; then I tried the ellipse and parabola,
and to my delight succeeded. Next I went on to recall Euclid's proof that the number of primes is infinite...

Since I had become acquainted with Euclid's proof at school, it had always filled me with a deep satisfaction that
was aesthetic rather than intellectual. Now, as I recalled the method and scratched the symbols on the
wall, I felt the same enchantment.  

And then, for the first time, I suddenly understood the reason for this enchantment: the scribbled symbols on the wall represented one of the rare cases where a meaningful and comprehensive statement about the infinite is arrived at by precise and finite means. The infinite is a mystical mass shrouded in a haze; and yet it was possible to gain some knowledge of it without losing oneself in treacly ambiguities. The significance of this swept over me like a wave. The wave had originated in an articulate verbal insight; but this evaporated at once, leaving in its wake only a wordless essence, a fragrance of eternity, a quiver of the arrow in the blue. I must have stood there for some minutes, entranced, with a wordless awareness that "this is perfect---perfect"; until I noticed some slight mental discomfort nagging at the back of my mind---some trivial circumstance that marred the perfection of the moment. Then I remembered the nature of that irrelevant annoyance: I was, of course, in prison and might be shot. But this was immediately answered by a feeling whose verbal translation would be: "So what? is that all? have you got nothing more serious to worry about?"---an answer so spontaneous, fresh and amused as if the intruding annoyance had been the loss of a collar-stud. Then I was floating on my back in a river of peace, under bridges of silence. It came from nowhere and flowed nowhere. Then there was no river and no I. The I had ceased to exist.  

When I say "the I had ceased to exist," I refer to a concrete experience that is verbally as incommunicable as the feeling aroused by a piano concerto, yet just as real---only much more real. In fact, its primary mark is the sensation that this state is more real than any other one has experienced before---that for the first time the veil has fallen and one is in touch with "real reality," the hidden order of things, the X-ray texture of the world, normally obscured by layers of irrelevancy. What distinguishes this type of experience from the emotional entrancements of music, landscapes or love is that the former has a definitely intellectual, or rather noumenal, content. It is meaningful, though not in verbal terms. Verbal transcriptions that come nearest to it are: the unity and interlocking of everything that exists, an interdependence like that of gravitational fields or communicating vessels. The "I" ceases to exist because it has, by a kind of mental osmosis, established communication with, and been dissolved in, the universal pool. It is the process of dissolution and limitless expansion which is sensed as the "oceanic feeling," as the draining of all tension, the absolute catharsis, the peace that passeth all understanding.
The coming-back to the lower order of reality I found to be gradual, like waking up from anaesthesia. There was the equation of the parabola scratched on the dirty wall, the iron bed and the iron table and the strip of blue Andalusian sky. But there was no unpleasant hangover as from other modes of intoxication. On the contrary: there remained a sustained and invigorating, serene and fear-dispelling after-effect that lasted
for hours and days. It was as if a massive dose of vitamins had been injected into the veins. Or, to change the metaphor, I resumed my travels through my cell like an old car with its batteries freshly recharged.  

Whether the experience had lasted for a few minutes or an hour, I never knew. In the beginning it occurred two or even three times a week, then the intervals became longer. It could never be voluntarily induced. After my liberation it recurred at even longer intervals, perhaps once or twice in a year. But by that time the groundwork for a change or personality was completed. I shall henceforth refer to these experiences as "the hours by the window".
Banned For waht?, modified 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 6:07 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 6:07 AM

RE: Can you diagnose Arthur Koestler ?

3 first paths can taste it, but fourth can stay in there. Imho its fourth path realization.
J J, modified 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 6:30 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 6:30 AM

Eh, for me I would say that any lasting or real baseline shift is one that is produced voluntarily, it sounds as if Arthur Koestler was experiencing a transient insight that was not produced volitionally, that he could not replicate. It thus does not sound Buddhist to me at all, it sounds like a cognitive insight that he probably warped in retrospect after recollecting it.

The Buddha is emphatic that realization is attained via gradual practice, and that undertaking the iddhipada is undertaking the path leading to the end of suffering, abandoning the iddhipada is abandoning the path leading to the end of suffering.

As such it is hard to assign any real status to Arthur Koestler's "realization", any realization is primarily determined by the strength of its practice, if it wanes, it means nothing. Different levels of nobility (within the aryan sangha) are determined by the strength of their indriya.

In irony, practice is the only real measure of someone's realization, although in some cases (for streamwinners), it is possible for them to heedless.

Regards,

James
Banned For waht?, modified 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 7:05 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 6:57 AM

what he had was cessation. There wouldn't be any such experience if you aren't there ready to have it.
And it will start reoccuring by itself.

it was cessation of suffering. As when to read carefully he was suffering prior to that event happen. It wasn't simple ordinary suffering, it was path releated suffering.

maybe my opinion is biased, because i too can't replicate anything, cessations happen by themselves. For 3 first path you can learn to sense taste it and 4th you open the gate and after that you will have a cessation what you have not experienced before, that is called change of lineage or path moment because every next cessation now is that type.

and 3 first path are arhantship that means they are within 4th path realization, that means 4th path is the real achievement.

edit:cessation happens, there isn't my will involved if it triggers itself if i look something or someone says something or during lawnmoving, just suddenly i remember to have it.
Banned For waht?, modified 9 Years ago at 10/6/14 8:40 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/6/14 8:40 AM

what i have said here, i take it away. Its probably streamentry.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 4:56 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 4:56 PM

Don't worry, you have about ten guesses left.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 9 Years ago at 1/31/15 7:45 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/31/15 7:45 PM

JJ - what if the buddha was wrong ? He was only one man in one time in one part of the world, wasn't he ?
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 9 Years ago at 1/31/15 8:55 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/31/15 8:55 PM

This sounds like Zen Kensho.  Kensho isn't really covered or talked about in Theravada, so it's hard to compare where it might be on a Theravada map.

Breadcrumb