'Liberated Martial Arts'

Adam , modified 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 11:56 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 11:22 PM

'Liberated Martial Arts'

This is a link I found randomly via a youtube comment... I don't know alot about martial arts or some of the references made here, but I think this is a really interesting article.

http://www.jkdselfdefence.com/Just-A-Boat.html

I was especially interested in the 5 stages idea, here is a summary-

1. first you realize that you aren't "free"

2. then you realize that by running with that idea you put yourself in very unstable territory and you are faced with the choice to continue or not

3. then you are in a "sea of styles" (i.e. styles of "practice") the more you drink from this sea the sicker you become and if you aren't careful you will spiral down into a "creative death"

4. then you cross to the other shore i.e. direct knowledge of freedom, here you are faced with the greatest challenge of all - whether to cling to one's knowledge of how one crossed and to get back into the boat (for various egotistical reasons) or to let go completely

5. then you are "free" and you can begin the true journey which is about staying focused and not being bewildered by the vain babblings of those still adrift in the "sea of styles"

To me this is really interesting as it relates to some of UG krishnamurti's words quite clearly, as well as to my practice. In my own experience, what is clear is the experience of directly knowing what freedom is (i.e. being completely natural and asking for nothing more), but then being satisfied with that knowledge (because that knowledge is the most valuable thing in the world) rather than with actually freeing myself (which in a sense seems to have no value.)
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 11:41 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/24/14 11:41 PM

RE: 'Liberated Martial Arts'

After you realized that, did you become more interested in freeing yourself again?
Adam , modified 9 Years ago at 9/25/14 12:03 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/25/14 12:03 AM

RE: 'Liberated Martial Arts'

A bit yes... especially if i focus on the constant marching in circles that is disciplined practice based on a projected ideal... or the shallow ego high of "i know the truth" and its false promise of future reward.

Breadcrumb