Quick, snapping, intense event... what is it?

thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 9 Years ago at 9/29/14 7:52 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/29/14 7:52 PM

Quick, snapping, intense event... what is it?

I've had this experience a few times, the first time I can remember being when I was 15 or 16.

It usually happens when I'm "meditating" or at least paying attention to what is going on, trying to concentrate, etc...

It really does seem to come out of nowhere and doesn't seem to be the A&P (from what I can tell), and actually doesn't seem to correspond with any of the stages of insight as far as I can tell.

Basically, I'll be there concentrating, with whatever degree of mindfulness, and out of nowhere, I will hear an extremely intense, loud buzzing/popping noise, almost like some kind of device shorted out. It lasts for less than a second. It is accompanied by the feeling of getting punched inbetween the eyebrows, like a muscle there had a short, intense burst, like a spasm. I don't think it is related to the A&P because there isn't the preceding uncomfortableness in the 3C's, there isn't any joy or rapture or anticipation or build-up. There are no visual effects such as flashing lights or jewel-tone colors. It just happens suddenly, and then disappears. There is no discontinuity or blackout as far as I can tell. There aren't really any after-effects, again, as far as I can tell. There isn't any perceived lesson learned or insight gained. I'd like to emphasize again how loud the accompanying noise is. It's like a big mechanical device exploding or something to that effect.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? I have ideas related to something having to do with the third-eye chakra, but this is pure speculation. 
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 12:25 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 12:25 AM

RE: Quick, snapping, intense event... what is it?

I've had this kind of thing happen when going into a lucid dream.  Mainly it's loud bangs and synth-like screetches - nothing particualrly related to 3rd eye pressure.
John M, modified 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 1:18 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 1:18 AM

I get this periodically -- at least, something in the near vicinity. For me the sound is more like the loud "cluck" noise you can make with your tongue against the roof of the mouth. So similar, actually, it took a few passes to convince myself this wasn't exactly the case. It sounds VERY "exterior." My skull rings like a gong for a brief time afterward -- rather fruition-like but, as you mentioned, without the infamous "blip" or any bliss waves. 

Dunno what it is, dunno what it means, dunno that it matters. But there you go!
thumbnail
Jehanne S Peacock, modified 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 1:53 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 1:27 AM

Hi Mind over easy!
Mind over easy:

Basically, I'll be there concentrating, with whatever degree of mindfulness, and out of nowhere, I will hear an extremely intense, loud buzzing/popping noise, almost like some kind of device shorted out. It lasts for less than a second. It is accompanied by the feeling of getting punched inbetween the eyebrows, like a muscle there had a short, intense burst, like a spasm.

This reminds me of something that happened to me last spring. Let me quote myself:

I was walking outside, listening to a podcast with earphones from my cellphone. These was this big truck type of thing brushing the sand of the street nearby, making it harder for me to actually hear what was said on the podcast. Then I heard this crackling sound and felt like I had just received a small electric shock though my earphones! I wondered if maybe the brushes and sand from the vehicle nearby might have caused some static electricity effect, and was also considering maybe removing the plugs from my ears and not have voltage run accross my head, but decided then not to. The effect coudn't have been too dangerous, since I wasn't hook on to any sort of mains power line.

when you say it sounded like a device shorted out, or something popped, I think it sound very similar to what I experienced.

I also don't know what that was, but in MCTB in the A&P chapter there is this quote that sort of rings a bell:

MCTB:

"Wild “kundalini” phenomena are very common at this point, including powerful physical shaking and releases, explosions of consciousness like a fireworks display or a tornado, visions, and especially vortexes of powerful fine “electrical” vibrations blasting down one's spinal column and/or between one's ears. These vortexes can be very loud. These sorts of experiences can occur quite unexpectedly and even off the cushion, such as in lucid dreams. They may be followed by various mixtures of wonder, excitement, bliss, extraordinary joy, and sometimes disorientation."

And just like you, I also didn't notice any bliss or anything. I think I was going through A&P phase at the time, so I'm inclined to think my experience was A&P related.

When you say
Mind over easy:
I don't think it is related to the A&P because there isn't the preceding uncomfortableness in the 3C's, there isn't any joy or rapture or anticipation or build-up."

do you mean there wasn't these effects right prior and after the sound event? Or more general in your weekly/monthly life? I understood that you meant the former, and would like to say that according to my own understanding of things, the cycling happens at multiple levels. So I would think if you are generally in life in the A&P phase, A&P related events can happen even though the individual experienced wasn't preceeded with with the 3C's, cause and effect and mind and body.

Best wishes,
 Jehanne

Breadcrumb