insight needed

Jordan, modified 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 4:25 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 4:25 PM

insight needed

so this has taken four tries to load this i think my tablet isnt capatable with this site. anyway in an attempt not to write this again, and the fact i cant paste i will attach my question in doc. thanks!
C P M, modified 9 Years ago at 10/1/14 6:45 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 9:43 PM

RE: insight needed

I'm currently on a PC, so for convienience, I'll paste your question inline here:

I have been practising in Goenkajitradition for a few years, and i was just accepted to a long course.So i decided to check online at other peoples experiences of longcourses to better prepare myself. After a short google search idiscovered this website among others, and realized that there areother types of vipassana being taught.

I have been reading works of mahasi, and the book core teachings of the buddha.

Within the ten day course there is little or no mention of a lot of information on this site, and in these works ie nanas.

I am a person who would like to practice intelligently, and correctly. Finding this website has shed light on many of my doubts. Regarding lack of qualified teachers, and the technique itself.

One problem i have had is I don't like body scanning my mind is not detail oriented and i have problems focusing on details. It much easier for me to se things as a whole and to work where work needs to be done. So for much of my practice i focus only on anapana. My mind doesn't get bored of observation of breath where as with body scanning I'm very bored doing same thing over and over. Now this may be what i need to do, maybe the defilements are what don't like body scanning the problem is i don't know, and i have yet to get a respond from a teacher i felt was right.

I can sit full hours without pain but i don't feel i have reached access concentration or insight equivalent ie I cant maintain observation of object without interruption for one hour. Most of my sittings are equanimous no rapture or bliss. I had one abnormal experience where after reading satipattana sutta i practiced as the buddha said observing breath for most of the hour then switching naturally to sensation of the whole body. There was a free flow then sudden loss of awareness of body, expanding, sudden fear, even clinging return to awareness of body heart beating very fast and power in the building went out.

My personality type is best describe by my zodiac, Aquarius sun, Scorpio moon, Aries ascendant, Chinese dragon

I maintain two hours practice each day and do many retreats i am currently serving a ten day course.

My question is how to know if one is practising correctly and if mixing between vipassana teachers is such a bad thing the benefits and problems involved. Also what preparation should one make before long course

I believe i am starting to mix mahasi with Goenka and this worries me to the extent many have said never to mix techniques though my mind says we are all practicing what the buddha taught.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 10:23 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/30/14 10:23 PM

Jordan, modified 9 Years ago at 10/1/14 1:54 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/1/14 1:54 PM

The first bit got cut off
C P M, modified 9 Years ago at 10/1/14 6:46 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/1/14 6:45 PM

fixed